Bessa IIIW/GF670W prices - WOW

I got the GF670 for about $1600 online (used, but mint condition) in Jan 2020. Didn't gel with it and sold it about 3% more (well below the market price). Do I regret it? Nah, I am fine with my Makina 67.

I got the GF670 for about $1600 online (used, but mint condition) in Jan 2020. Didn't gel with it and sold it about 3% more (well below the market price). Do I regret it? Nah, I am fine with my Makina 67.

What didn't you like? I've heard that there are issues in some samples of the lens not aligning perfectly with the film's focal plane

What didn't you like? I've heard that there are issues in some samples of the lens not aligning perfectly with the film's focal plane

Sorry for the late response. The camera had no problem as such, but I just didn't gel with it: it was just too light, the lens too perfect, the RF experience not as fun as a TLR/SLR for me. B

However, in retrospect, I think I wasn't in the right frame of mind for shooting medium format, right in the middle of a Covid-19 Lockdown... so it was more me than the camera itself...

the real issue is not taking the time to close the camera properly, bending the lens supports along the way.

As a user of older folders Ikontas (6x9, 645) and the Bessa II, it is critical to handle these cameras with care both opening closing, and setting the shutter carefully. Of course when purchasing one, to look for signs that that the cameras were not handled with care, as is often the case sadly.

David

It was considerations of battery dependence, circuit board obsolescence, and the faint possibility of mishandling the clamshell closure process that caused me to trade my 670 at a decent profit after years of use, and to return to the unbreakable 690 series. I too loved the 670’s IQ and appreciated the metering, but my phone-meter app is always with me when I shoot the 690 or the 2.8D for square.

As a user of older folders Ikontas (6x9, 645) and the Bessa II, it is critical to handle these cameras with care both opening closing, and setting the shutter carefully.
David

Agreed. Focusing to infinity is also needed before collapsing the lens on the Makina 67, but oddly, I got used to it very quickly on that camera. Perhaps, the presence of the focusing knob on the top right of the camera makes it easier?

I definitely had to stress about closing the GF670 properly.

After the 1st film, I found it second nature to focus to infinity. The lens bracketry is much more sturdy than on my old folder. Some mags created a scare by saying bellows will hole eventually. Using a number of cameas with bellows, they can last decades so no reall fear there and easy to patch up.

Agreed. Focusing to infinity is also needed before collapsing the lens on the Makina 67, but oddly, I got used to it very quickly on that camera. Perhaps, the presence of the focusing knob on the top right of the camera makes it easier?

Those are interesting observations and concerns about these newer cameras, worry about closing them, and things about circuit board Robert mentions and so on. It was electronics that caused me to sell off my Konica Hexar early on, and I really loved that camera. I never had an issue with mine (had two actually) but it was a worry for me. The Auto S3m, not-so because it cost less. This gets off-topic, but I considering the price of these newer folding cameras, I get it.

David

It is very easy to remember to adjust focus before closing the GF670. It takes all of a week or two of shooting before it becomes second nature.

The GW690 series price has gone up by quite a large margin as well. Curiously it's the Makina 67 that stays relatively stable.

The GW690 series price has gone up by quite a large margin as well. Curiously it's the Makina 67 that stays relatively stable.

Maybe because the Makinas got a reputation as being fragile. I’ve owned three of them over the years, and they all worked perfectly.

My 667W developed a bad circuit board, exposure level meter no longer works and shutter doesn't fire correctly. I've babied this thing its whole short life, my Canon F1 and Mamiya 6 far outlived it.

After looking for one of these and seeing the prices ... I've opted to just use my GFX-50R in square mode. Poor me. Awesome camera...

Are you sure you don't mean the GW670? Last time I looked the 670 was twice the price of the 690.

Are you sure you don't mean the GW670? Last time I looked the 670 was twice the price of the 690.
One of the pricing oddities I've noticed is that the Fuji GW680 (6x8) is typically priced at about 1/4 of similar condition 670s and 1/2 that of 690s, They were uncommon outside of Japan, from what I recall, largely used for travel group pictures because enlargements didn't need to be cropped. If you can work with/around the extra centimeter of width, might be a cost-effective option if you're looking at the big Fuji's.

One of the pricing oddities I've noticed is that the Fuji GW680 (6x8) is typically priced at about 1/4 of similar condition 670s and 1/2 that of 690s, They were uncommon outside of Japan, from what I recall, largely used for travel group pictures because enlargements didn't need to be cropped. If you can work with/around the extra centimeter of width, might be a cost-effective option if you're looking at the big Fuji's.
The GW670s used to be by far the cheapest and now they're crazy money. Pre Covid the GW670,680,690 were all in the $400-500 range. Now the clean ones are 2x that and up and the GW670iii asking prices are 3-4x that!

Last edited:
The GW670s used to be by far the cheapest and now they're crazy money. Pre Covid the GW670,680,690 were all in the $400-500 range. Now the clean ones are 2x that and up and the GW670iii asking prices are 3-4x that!
I wonder if people just prefer 6x7 over 6x9.

Maybe it's the aspect ratio: 6x9 is identical to a 35mm 24x36 frame. Boring. :D

Back