What ever happened to the Zeiss Ikon ZM?

Within reason.
As far as I know they still have all spare parts, including the electronics and viewfinder parts.

Their repairs are pricey, of course.

It is a difference to a Contax G, which if it breaks is hard to have fixed and has no central servicing or repair available.

As far as I know they still have all spare parts, including the electronics and viewfinder parts.

Their repairs are pricey, of course.

It is a difference to a Contax G, which if it breaks is hard to have fixed and has no central servicing or repair available.
My ZI ZM was serviced in July of 22. They had some parts as I mentioned above. Could not replace my beam splitter (which is separating).

Sold all my Leica cameras last year but still have the Zeiss Ikon ZM with a nice set of lenses. It is the only M-Mount camera I have at this point. Terrific camera with one of the best viewfinders you could ask for.

Have not used it much this year but that is only because I have been working primarily with my LX and Contax II which are also very good cameras.
This is astonishing. Didn't you have an M-A?
Once électroniques goes out, does shutter still works?

Interesting. Did it go to Germany or was that at Zeiss USA?

I’ll investigate.
Here is what Zeiss emailed me in July of 2022 after it arrived in Germany:

“Your Zeiss Ikon Body has been received and the following is the estimate.

Camera shows a lot of dust and stain in the viewfinder. We are unsure that this can be resolved 100% until the camera has been opened. Rangefinder needs to be adjusted. Wear and tear on most of the outer parts. All common parts will be replaced with new. The roller measure is out of tolerance and needs adjusted as well.

Repair Total: $387.50”

All-in-all they did a great job and replaced many exterior parts of the camera. Sadly, they could not fix the beam splitter (which really isn’t that big of a deal in operation…for now).

The shutter is electronically timed. It may be theoretically possible for the metering to fail and the shutter timing to still work, but they’re pretty closely linked through the AE connection.

Here is what Zeiss emailed me in July of 2022 after it arrived in Germany:

“Your Zeiss Ikon Body has been received and the following is the estimate.

Camera shows a lot of dust and stain in the viewfinder. We are unsure that this can be resolved 100% until the camera has been opened. Rangefinder needs to be adjusted. Wear and tear on most of the outer parts. All common parts will be replaced with new. The roller measure is out of tolerance and needs adjusted as well.

Repair Total: $387.50”

All-in-all they did a great job and replaced many exterior parts of the camera. Sadly, they could not fix the beam splitter (which really isn’t that big of a deal in operation…for now).
Did you ask them to replace the beamsplitter or the rangefinder? One of the local rangefinder guys had the whole rangefinder in his ZI replaced in early 2023. The price was pretty breathtaking.

Did you ask them to replace the beamsplitter or the rangefinder? One of the local rangefinder guys had the whole rangefinder in his ZI replaced in early 2023. The price was pretty breathtaking.
I did not specifically say the words “replace the beam splitter” because at that time I didn’t know that was correct word to describe what I was seeing. When I talked to their US tech I mentioned that there was something in the optics that looked like discolored grease (which is what the beam splitter separating kinda looks like). He said he’d make a note of it before forwarding on to Germany. I assumed they’d try to maximize billable hours/parts and replace as much as they could (they replaced way more than what was necessary on the body, for example)…but perhaps I should’ve asked the to replace the whole rangefinder…

Have had mine since 2010 and am still enjoying it... together with a bunch of ZM lenses and the occasional VM or Summicron

Not really. It is still in the family though. My son had been using it off and on for the past couple of years so I gave it him for his birthday last year. I am sure I could borrow it from him if I really needed it for some reason. I sold my M3 about 6 months before that so the Zeiss Ikon is it for M-Mount. Besides, I have access to some very nice cameras so I honestly haven't missed the Leicas. I have always enjoyed working with my Contax II camera, and I have always preferred the Zeiss Sonnar lens, so I am not really hurting all that much, if at all. Besides, with the Zeiss Ikon ZI I can shoot my Summicron anytime I feel the need. :D

Yeah, if the electronics go south the shutter will die and I'll probably have to send it to Germany for repair. I'm pretty sure they will be able to fix it. But I have owned that camera for quite some time and have only had to get it serviced once, and that was to have the focus recalibrated. Everything else works pretty much as was intended. I don't actually think it is robust as an M3 or M-A but those cameras need adjustment from time to time as well.

To be honest, my rangefinder addiction is pretty well covered by the Contax II. Believe it or not I have now used it for over 18 years since Henry cleaned it up and I have never had it serviced since then. It just keeps on taking pictures whenever I ask it to. With the possible exception of my K1000, the Contax II is probably the most reliable 35mm camera I own right now. I actually have a Kiev that I have owned longer and it is still running without any problems. It doesn't get used as much but inactivity can be harder on cameras as too much activity. At some point one or both of the shutter ribbons will break and I'll have to send it back to Henry. He claims he will have it repaired and back to me in a week if that does happen.

Not really. It is still in the family though. My son had been using it off and on for the past couple of years so I gave it him for his birthday last year. I am sure I could borrow it from him if I really needed it for some reason. I sold my M3 about 6 months before that so the Zeiss Ikon is it for M-Mount. Besides, I have access to some very nice cameras so I honestly haven't missed the Leicas. I have always enjoyed working with my Contax II camera, and I have always preferred the Zeiss Sonnar lens, so I am not really hurting all that much, if at all. Besides, with the Zeiss Ikon ZI I can shoot my Summicron anytime I feel the need. :D

Yeah, if the electronics go south the shutter will die and I'll probably have to send it to Germany for repair. I'm pretty sure they will be able to fix it. But I have owned that camera for quite some time and have only had to get it serviced once, and that was to have the focus recalibrated. Everything else works pretty much as was intended. I don't actually think it is robust as an M3 or M-A but those cameras need adjustment from time to time as well.

To be honest, my rangefinder addiction is pretty well covered by the Contax II. Believe it or not I have now used it for over 18 years since Henry cleaned it up and I have never had it serviced since then. It just keeps on taking pictures whenever I ask it to. With the possible exception of my K1000, the Contax II is probably the most reliable 35mm camera I own right now. I actually have a Kiev that I have owned longer and it is still running without any problems. It doesn't get used as much but inactivity can be harder on cameras as too much activity. At some point one or both of the shutter ribbons will break and I'll have to send it back to Henry. He claims he will have it repaired and back to me in a week if that does happen.

In 2016 I have hold in my hands mint IIa which went under recent, full DIY CLA. It was very pleasing camera.

In 2016 I have hold in my hands mint IIa which went under recent, full DIY CLA. It was very pleasing camera.
The IIa is a fine camera and I think you would really enjoy using one. It is slightly smaller than the Contax II, a little closer to the size of an M3. I think it is probably a bit easier to find one in good condition. One day I may find a good one and buy it but for now I am quite happy with what I have.

Back