What ever happened to the Zeiss Ikon ZM?

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
6:31 AM
What ever happened to the Zeiss Ikon ZM? It had that oh so nice viewfinder. Compared to an authentic Leica it seemed somewhat tacky but a step up from the Voigtlander' s. The black bodies did not age well. Sort of a natty silver under the black paint. I haven't seen one in the wild in years. Anyone enjoying it?

I’ve still got a black Ikon ZM. Still think they’re great. They’re slightly frightening because of the electronics and the way that Zeiss service costs have escalated (probably not that different to Leica?), but with a 2.8/35 C-Biogon you couldn’t really ask for more.

They have become quite expensive secondhand. But, so are the Bessas and Leicas and they do sit closer to Leica than Bessa in user experience.

Mike

Lovely body, really. A buddy of mine in the UK has one so I've gotten to shoot with it when visiting there. I'm almost tempted to buy one as then I'd have both meterless and metered film bodies for my M lenses, and they're running about half what a good Leica M with meter would currently cost.

G

The Zeiss ZMs have joined the Contax G Redundancy Club.

Way back when (2006) when I traveled around Asia with my two G1s, I saw a fair number of shooters with ZMs, mostly Japanese tourists. They always had several lenses but were able to carry their kits in small shoulder bags, which I envied.

As for the cameras, I admired them but by then I had invested heavily into the Contax line. My dealer in Melbourne once assured me that the Contax G Zeiss lenses were "as good as" and I should be content with my kit. Which I was.

Fast track 18 years. Both the Contax Gs and the Zeiss KMs are now relics. Fantastic lenses, not so good bodies. Few if any repairs now available (my repair shop insists that nothing can be done to a Contax G's electronics when they pass away) and the few cameras in both lines I occasionally see on secondhand gear shelves sell for very little. The lenses never seem to end up in the shops. On the other hand the Reissues have held their value but I've not seen one on offer for the last decade. Their owners must cherish them and keep them forever.

Too bad I didn't buy into that range back then, but as usual for me I didn't have the $$$ and the Contaxes were far cheaper. One lives and one learns, I reckon.

The ZM lenses are wonderful optically and work equally well on an Ikon or M body. However, they all (I believe it’s all) have a lurking issue with Teflon rollers in the focus helical, which eventually leads to infamous ‘Zeiss wobble’. Given repair costs and that only Zeiss can do it - Skyllaney don’t touch them now - that will write off the lens when it happens. I’ve still got a few and love them, but if they fail I’ll have to find something else to replace them with (or get them rebodied). I’d take one apart first though to see if I could fix it myself.

I should say that all my lenses are still good, but I did sell a 2/35 Biogon that had had a difficult life. The 2.8/35 remains perfect and I’ve a couple of faster 35s when I actually need the speed.

I've had mine since 2006 or 07. I still use it regularly. After 15-ish years of flawless performance I let a friend borrow it. He managed to melt the softening rubber/plastic covering with his sweaty hands (he was traveling in New Orleans) and knock it completely out of calibration (but, Cosina should be commended for making a rangefinder that was perfectly aligned for a decade and a half). The good news (for the time being) is that Zeiss in Oberkochen can still service it with-in reason. They replaced the rubber covering, the bottom plate, the on/off switch and calibrated the rangefinder. They did not, however, replace the beam splitter (which is separating...I've seen the same issue on another ZI ZM) because they no longer have parts. So, I figure we are at/past the horizon line of serviceability...so, enjoy yours while it still works (which can be said of most vintage/discontinued electronic cameras).

At any rate, as it is often compared to the M7, here is what I like about it vs the M7:

1. The weight (this is also a con...as the materials seem...inferior)
2. The eye relief of the finder
3. The on/off switch turns the camera on/off instantly (literally...why does the M7 need time to boot up?!)
4. Swing-door film loading is always better than Leica film loading
5. No worries about burning holes into your shutter
6. The meter seems more accurate
7. AE compensation is much better implemented
8. High shutter speed

Here is what the M7 does better (I figure it is similarly at the horizon line of serviceability).

1. Build quality/feel.
2. Better/brighter LEDs in the finder
3. Better shutter sound and feel
4. Better implementation of AE lock

I bought my ZM body -or is it ZI, in 2009 and it's working flawlessly. The 2.8/28 ZM developed the wobble after heavy use but I had it repaired for a few dollars in Saigon. When I asked the repair man what was wrong with it, he said: "Too much plastic inside". An excellent article on the ZM, or if you wish, the ZI: https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/zeiss-.html

Reactions: JMF
the few cameras in both lines I occasionally see on secondhand gear shelves sell for very little.
If you see a Zeiss-Ikon ZM ''for very little", perhaps you should buy it. The asking price for good second-hand Zeiss-Ikons hovers between US$ 1,700/1,800. The minty ones are over US$ 2,000. Cheers, OtL

Sold all my Leica cameras last year but still have the Zeiss Ikon ZM with a nice set of lenses. It is the only M-Mount camera I have at this point. Terrific camera with one of the best viewfinders you could ask for.

Have not used it much this year but that is only because I have been working primarily with my LX and Contax II which are also very good cameras.

Sold all my Leica cameras last year but still have the Zeiss Ikon ZM with a nice set of lenses. It is the only M-Mount camera I have at this point. Terrific camera with one of the best viewfinders you could ask for.

Have not used it much this year but that is only because I have been working primarily with my LX and Contax II which are also very good cameras.
What is an LX?

The ZI was/is a great camera, and mine served me well from 2009 until it got "downsized" away last year (no regrets; I shoot very little 35mm any more). The only trouble I ever had was because I'm left-eyed. The oils from my nose turned the back door leatherette to sticky goo within months. Or maybe I just secrete something caustic and toxic. Hmm...

The serviceability aspect is one of the reasons I will more likely stick with a Leica M body than with anything else. It's worth the premium price for that alone.

G

The Zeiss ZMs have joined the Contax G Redundancy Club.

Way back when (2006) when I traveled around Asia with my two G1s, I saw a fair number of shooters with ZMs, mostly Japanese tourists. They always had several lenses but were able to carry their kits in small shoulder bags, which I envied.

As for the cameras, I admired them but by then I had invested heavily into the Contax line. My dealer in Melbourne once assured me that the Contax G Zeiss lenses were "as good as" and I should be content with my kit. Which I was.

Fast track 18 years. Both the Contax Gs and the Zeiss KMs are now relics. Fantastic lenses, not so good bodies. Few if any repairs now available (my repair shop insists that nothing can be done to a Contax G's electronics when they pass away) and the few cameras in both lines I occasionally see on secondhand gear shelves sell for very little. The lenses never seem to end up in the shops. On the other hand the Reissues have held their value but I've not seen one on offer for the last decade. Their owners must cherish them and keep them forever.

Too bad I didn't buy into that range back then, but as usual for me I didn't have the $$$ and the Contaxes were far cheaper. One lives and one learns, I reckon.
Zeiss still repairs the Ikon/ZM.

Marty

Back