What cameras did you use in the late 80s and early 90s?

Chuck, When i used Nikons, I loved the 24mm. When I went back to Leicas the 21 was the charm. I used (& still do) the metal SBK00. I used the 21 for in tight ski & climbing photos. It's a gem in the narrow streets of Europe. It works well for landscapes ( New Mexico photo attached). It's second only to the 35mm as my most used lens.
View attachment 4835510

Was yours Pre-ASPH or after that?

I'm right there with you. I love the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 which is why I asked about this. There is an older 8 bladed 21mm w/finder for sale I have my eye one but I don't know much about the performance of that lens.

Nice shots, BTW!
Unless you're pixel peeping, they're all pretty good.

Was there a material difference in performance between the f/3.4s and f/2.8s do you think? (In terms of corner sharpness, contrast, etc.)
They both had good contrast. At that time i was shooting mostly chromes for lack of a darkroom. I had no complaints about either. I preferred the diminutive size of the Super Angulon to the Elmarit (still do)...the extra speed didn't make a difference to me. Contrast on both was good and i never ran into a corner sharpness issue although there's a vignetting on the SA...still i love the character.....but those are lenses i only very rarely used wide open & when i did....i was happy to get the shot!. The 21 is a tremendous lens for environmental portraits.....to show someone within their context. If i were looking for one today, personally i'd go for the Super-Angulon 3.4.

42888338761_df6c6b8a0f_z.jpg

Last edited:
During those years, I mostly shot the Olympus OM-1 and OM-2, purchased used and rather beat up. When My finances improved, I thought long and hard about what I'd purchase new, and went with Nikons. I liked the handling better, but in retrospect, I like the look I got with Olympus glass a little bit better. Splitting hairs, of course.

During those years, I mostly shot the Olympus OM-1 and OM-2, purchased used and rather beat up. When My finances improved, I thought long and hard about what I'd purchase new, and went with Nikons. I liked the handling better, but in retrospect, I like the look I got with Olympus glass a little bit better. Splitting hairs, of course.

I went through a version of that. I bought a Nikon multi-lens system. While traveling to a really remote area, I was offered a princely sum for the whole kit. When I got back to "civilization" (murder, mayhem, and meanies), the OM-1 had just come out and I was really captivated by it. So I replaced the Nikon F with an OM-1 system.

I liked the Olympus, but it never felt as durable or expandable as the Nikon. So, I eventually returned to the Nikon fold and never again strayed .... until last year when I caught some variant of the Leica virus. (I did not ditch my Nikon, this time, however.)

At that time, the camera was an F3 I bought new, having traded in a 500C with a few bits and bobs. I was tired of not being able to afford any lenses for the Hasselblad, walked out of the shop with the F3, a 50 1.4, a 20mm and a 105. I think it cost me a little cash too, but I don't remember.

I went through a version of that. I bought a Nikon multi-lens system. While traveling to a really remote area, I was offered a princely sum for the whole kit. When I got back to "civilization" (murder, mayhem, and meanies), the OM-1 had just come out and I was really captivated by it. So I replaced the Nikon F with an OM-1 system.

I liked the Olympus, but it never felt as durable or expandable as the Nikon. So, I eventually returned to the Nikon fold and never again strayed .... until last year when I caught some variant of the Leica virus. (I did not ditch my Nikon, this time, however.)
I agree Chuck. I got an OM-1 outfit too. It was small, light with very nice glass. Great to carry around cliimbing & skiing. It wasn't as sturdy as the Nikon so I went back. My Leica was always around.....until the late 90s when I pitched it all for 5x7 & 8x10 with a Fuji GW690 for back up.... for many years.

I bought a new Nikon FM in 1982 (or 1983?) and used it with a loaner Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 until I could afford a (used) 50/1.4. Later, I bought the F3HP and 24/2.8, 105/2.5, and 200/4 lenses. The 105/2.5 became my favorite lens. I used this kit until moving to Japan and switching to Nikon D70 and then D1X.

I am contemplating get a 21mm for my M bodies. How did you like this focal length? What subjects were suited for it? What kind of finder did you use?
I use the Zeiss Biogon 21mm f2.8 and it is glorious. The Zeiss external viewfinder is a great help with composition, but you can make reasonable guesstimates with experience. The 21mm is suited to everything from landscapes and cityscapes to capturing the interiors, as well as environmental portraiture. My preference for wides from 21-28 for everyday documentation comes from a desire to capture as much context as possible.

M9 - Imperial Hotel Osaka by Archiver, on Flickr

M9 - Borders Camberwell by Archiver, on Flickr

M9 - Monique Lhuillier by Archiver, on Flickr

And thank you to everyone who has joined in on this thread, it is fascinating to see what everyone used back then!

Back