What cameras did you use in the late 80s and early 90s?

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
4:58 PM
In the late 80s, our family mostly used the Nikon L35AF point and shoot with date back, and continued to use that camera into the 90s. Although Dad got his Minolta SR-T and Pentax ME in the late 70s/early 80s, we all preferred the ease and lightness of the Nikon, which accompanied us to America, Canada and Hong Kong in 1988. It wasn't until the late 2000s that I started using Dad's SLR's again.

Edit: In 1986 I used the family Kodak Disc camera for a few discs, and a Keystone 110 cassette camera in for half a roll in 1985. I never used them again, which is regrettable in the case of the disc camera because it was small enough to fit in my school jacket pocket, and I took some photos that I look back on with great nostalgia.

I'm curious about whether RFF members who are old enough to have used cameras back then were using plastic fantastics, older gear, or higher quality contemporary gear.

Last edited:
By 1982, my primary gear kit was comprised of a Nikon FM, FE2, and F3. I had four or five Nikkor lenses, from 20mm to 200mm.

I had a couple of Leica Ms along in those years, an occasional Rolleiflex, usually a compact 35 (Rollei 35, Minox 35) and a bunch of Minox subminis. And almost always a Polaroid SX-70.

Oh yes: I started making photographs about 1963, but got somewhat more serious about it when I entered High School in 1968. ;)

G

Last edited:
Pentax MX (4 of them) and Pentax lenses from 28 mm -200 mm, Rolleiflex 3.5 E (2), 4x5 Toyo 45 F and Rodenstock and Nikkor lenses from 65 mm to 300 mm and Mamiya Universal w/65, 100 and 150 mm lenses and both film and Polaroid backs. The MX bodies got replaced by LX bodies in the mid 90's, and the Toyo 45 F was largely replaced by a Toyo 45 G, although I still have both.

Either I was spoiled rotten, or had precious little money-sense back then!
Nikon F3, F4, Leica M4-2, Rolleiflex SL66, Leica M3, M4, Minox 35EL, Yashica T4, Mamiya 6 and Fujifilm GS645.
But I was pretty good at scoring deals on secondhand cameras, and dilligent about selling off stuff once the new-toy luster faded.

By that time, I had a Minolta SR-T 201 and an X-570 + winder and a range of Minolta prime lenses. I was also using a Minolta Autocord CdS-III, a Mamiya C330f, and several other TLRs. I was shooting slides in all of these cameras.

- Murray

Sometime In the late 80’s I switched from Rollei 3003’s to 2 Nikon F4’s due to reliability. I think it was around that time. I also had an M6 and 3 Rollei SL66’s. My LF system consisted of my 4x5 and 5x7 Sinar Norma’s, Linhof Master Technika 4x5 and Deardorff 8x10. I also had a Seitz Roundshot for panoramas and a Widelux F7. I also had a couple of Nikon F2’s and F3’s around that time too. And I almost forgot the 4x5 Crown Graphic I got in 1965.

Last edited:
Canon F1 + FD 35/1.4 SSC, Then OM-2n with Zuiko 35mm f/2.0, then Canon EOS-3 + Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8.
I also had a Mamiya M645 but it broke and nobody wanted to fix it. I had three lenses also but I cannot remember what.
I forgot, I had a Nikon FA with a 35mm f/1.4. My ex took it.
Now I got a serious case of GAS and I have more toys than time to play with them. I have two 35mm lenses for Sony and two for Leica.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Canon AE-1 & 50/1.8 I bought at the PX in the Army till someone decided they needed it more than I did.

At that point I was working for the state government in Madison WI, and walked home past a "Camera Company" location every day and ended up with the then new Canon EOS Rebel XS (aka Kiss or EOS 500). The camera wasn't really that bad if simple but the kit lens was a horror show though I really didn't understand just _how_ bad till we went to Vietnam to adopt our son in 2002.

Shortly after I got back I had first a YashicaMat 124 and then an Electro 35GS and holy flying catfish too many too remember them all after that.

Back