Voigtlander M 35/1.4 Nokton Images

One of the very first shots of my baby:

5641804434_46004ccd89_b.jpg

The first test I did was the front/back OOF signature:

and the distortion only happens wide open and close focus:

"I'll start it off.. Now, I sometimes crop if I can't get close enough...
I used Fuji Acros 100 at ISO/100... Indoors, with this lens, the box speed is great.. but on a sunny day, as seen below, I'd should have rated it at ISO/160 to combat the contrast. It is contrasty on bright days for sure." from OP.

For high contrast you downrate to 50 and cut development 20%. This gives the you the ability to expose longer to get more shadow detail and the highlights do not blow from overexposure.

This lens gets a bad rap often but I think that's mostly
from people who haven't used it but saw some "test" on the internet that proclaimed it a bad lens. I always thought it was a very capable lens and a screaming bargain!

I've used it and felt its bad rap was somewhat deserved, but recently I looked back at some photos I made with the SC version and I really liked them. So, I bought another SC model today.

I had my SC for about 2 yrs and the damn circular flare issue always annoyed me, even though it was pretty much predictable and didn't show up often. I traded it for a Kowa Six kit with some lenses, but after not adapting well to the camera (and it had an annoying focus shift I didn't want to spend to fix) it came back to me. After trying other 35mm lenses (even an MC) and looking back at photos I did with the lens, I decided to give it a second chance, it's now everyday in my bag mounted on a Hexar RF. it's quite a versatile combo (i shoot 800 iso color film).

The speed, size and price are really hard to beat.

vs the MC, I felt almost no difference, really, the MC tones felt a bit more contrasty but the difference was very, very subtle. same round flare.

vs the 1.7 Ultron, it's considerably shorter and a tad faster, also it gets backgrounds a bit more blurred. the bokeh on the Ultron is more neutral, won't bring as much attention to itself. light balls on the Ultron won't have much brighter edges as the Nokton's. incredibly resistant to flare, even without the hood (never got any flare with it, actually).

vs the 1.2, it is much, much, much more discrete on the street, smaller, lighter and easy to carry (sometimes i split lens and body and have them on coat pockets so i can take the camera somewhere with no bag at all). the 1.2 bokeh is much, much smoother and neutral than the 1.4's. light balls sometimes are incomplete (like a crescent moon, missing a corner), which is not a complaint, i like it, but the bullseye rings in them kind of annoy me a bit in certain situations. the 1.2 feels more robust, but still I like the 1.4's smoothness in both focus and aperture rings, never shot at a wrong aperture due to its smoothness. the 1.2 is very resistant to flare, and i shoot without the hood always.

vs the v4 summicron, it's just a bit heavier but the size is pretty much the same. I've found the v4 to get a purple polygonal line flare in certain angles against the sun without the hood (of course, that's what they're for!), which sometimes can be annoying, but nowadays I only use it with the square hood and didn't have many flare issues. but that made me see the round flare with different eyes also, as it won't compromise images as much as this polygonal kind of flare.

i've bought an f2 canon 35mm also, but haven't received it yet from a friend, I'll post my impressions afterwards.

MC Version on a Leica M2. My favorite walk-around lens.

U14132I1305608679.SEQ.0.jpg

This is not lens distortion - these buildings are actually curved! Lens is very sharp, though.

U14132I1305608686.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
i really liked this one! love the colors...

Thanks Umcelinho. I couldn't really see those colors on the street at all. They came from a neon lit window display and I was surprised with the results. My pup, Billie was just spayed...she isn't too fond of this photo ;)

Back