Street photography with the M10 and one lens (summer trip to Europe)

Which lens would you recommend for the M10?

• 35mm 1.4 Summilux

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Canon 35mm 1.5 ltm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 (1937)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • CV 50mm 1.0 M

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Canon 50mm 1.4 ltm

• Summicron 50mm 2.0

• Elmar 50mm 2.8 M

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Heliar 50mm 2.0

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Basically, I use our vacations to use certain lenses for the sake of enjoying these lenses by taking hundreds of photos/images with the same lens in a given year. I need the 50mm lens for portraits.

Good choice of lenses.

Here's a photo I took a while back to show a friend the nice, small size of similar model Leica lenses (a 35mm Summaron instead of the Lux, and a V4 instead of V5 Cron). The Summaron is almost exactly the same size as the Lux and the V4 is only a bit smaller than the V5 cause it lacks the built in hood.

The other lens is the 90mm Elmar 3 element.

It's sooooo nice being able to put such a beautiful lens compliment in a small camera bag or even a coat pocket.

med_U53436I1586468834.SEQ.0.jpg

Nice choice Raid. I'm heading to Italy at the end of August....& can't go without my MF camera. It will be the Voigtlander Perkeo ll and a Leica M and a lens or two (21 or 28mm and maybe one other....)

I need to be in the mood for using a MF camera on trips. Your Perkeo II is a compact camera. Right?

I have two old Elmar 9cm ltm lenses, plus a collapsible 90 Elmar M. I don't know how many elements they have.

I think most of the 90mm Elmars have 4 elements and all can make excellent images when stopped down a bit if free of haze and other defects. I believe the three element just has fewer air/glass surfaces. It was just what I needed recently to take some images at Yosemite with my M9. You were nice enough to comment on one of them.

I have heard of the Mountain Elmar. It was very light. Is it similar to your 3 element Elmar?

Last edited:
I've read about it too, but never tried one. I don't think it has a reputation for being a particularly good lens but I may be mistaken. Have you heard anything different?

The Mountain Elmar is an f6.3 lens made in the 1930's. It is narrower than most 90mm Elmars at the front end, but still pretty long. I think it does well for an older lens but is not quite up to later designs.

The 3 element version I have was made in the mid 60's. It's very small for a 90mm as can be seen in the photo above, and pretty light. Seems to be shorter than the Mountain Elmar, but I haven't directly compared them. I chose it primarily for its excellent optical qualities and secondarily it's very nice portability.

Last edited:
my vote
35 lux ia all you need
but since You love
a 50 then
the modern Elmar M

Look forward to your photos & your choice of course

Raid, I have to admit, I sometimes need/want a particular camera or lens for a photo i have in mind (resulting print image below). For example, I wanted a negative bigger than 6x6 & not square for this photo so I bought a Fuji GW680lll for the trip. For my upcoming Europe trip there is one image i have in mind that needs a 50mm (even though next to the 90, it's my least used lens).....so i will likely take one along besides my normal wide lens (and choice. (& make both MF & 35mm photos of the shot).
There's one mountain hut, i'll take both the 35mm & MF, but mostly one or the other.... like yours the entire kit is small and light.

43695501085_6ca24196fe_c.jpg

Last edited:
Are these the Dolomite Mountains ? Very nice. I see why you want or need a MF camera here.

Are these the Dolomite Mountains ? Very nice. I see why you want or need a MF camera here.
Yes this is in the Dolomites, NE of Bolzano and just 60km south of the Austrian border at Brenner pass. Villnöss/ Val di Funes. It is in my opinion one of the most beautiful valleys in the mountains of Europe.

I have driven there during several vacations. Munich to Salzburg to Brenner Pass to Bolzano/Bolzen and beyond. A wonderful area of this world. Brings out thoughts of WW1 and the losing of South Tyrol to Italy.

Back