Street photography with the M10 and one lens (summer trip to Europe)

Which lens would you recommend for the M10?

• 35mm 1.4 Summilux

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Canon 35mm 1.5 ltm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 (1937)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • CV 50mm 1.0 M

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Canon 50mm 1.4 ltm

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Summicron 50mm 2.0

• Elmar 50mm 2.8 M

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Heliar 50mm 2.0

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I have driven there during several vacations. Munich to Salzburg to Brenner Pass to Bolzano/Bolzen and beyond. A wonderful area of this world. Brings out thoughts of WW1 and the losing of South Tyrol to Italy.
My grandfather fought on that front in WW180418694_10156896170566958_2665915728527360000_n.jpg

Last edited:
Let's focus on travel and photography, and hopefully not a war. I brought it up here!
Absolutely, but here in N America there is no sign of that era, and in the Dolomites the via ferrata. tunnels and trenches are reminders of that time left in the beauty of nature.

Raid, Back to the travel/cameras subject. I just got this very lightweight (185g/ 6.5 oz) Belroy 4 litre mini cross-body sling bag. It will easily hold passport/money/and a camera. If i take the lens off the Leica, I could pack the MF, the Leica body, 21mm or 28mm, 50mm & light meter in it. Of course it will be most useful for the daily carry around. It's also a good way to have a camera handy if/when you're hiking or climbing with a backpack. I may well take the CL instead of the M4.

IMG_8024.JPGIMG_8022.JPG

Last edited:
I will use a small and light mini-camera-backpack by Kipling. It does not look like a camera bag. I can easily pack the M10 with 35/1.4 and 50/2 plus battery charger and memory cards plus a hat for protection from the sun. I also take with me an air blower for a potential sensor cleaning in the hotel room.

Thanks again, Raid, for starting this thread. I also voted for the 35 Lux… and if you want to take a 50 too I’d opt for the Canon 50/1.4.

I’m headed to Lisbon and northern Portugal next month w my wife. A bucket list trip for us but not photo driven. I’ll be taking two cameras, one digi (Leica CL) and a small film camera ( Leica IIIc). For Porto’s steep and narrow streets, I’ll take the Elmarit-L 18mm (similar coverage to a 28mm), and the tiny CV Snapshot Skopar 25mm/4. Most of my photography with the IIIc will be with the Heliar 40/2.8. I’ve come to enjoy using the 40mm focal length on recent European trips, where it functions as a tight 35mm for the way I see. And I will take one 50, probably the Nikkor SC 5cm f1.4, which becomes a 75mm equivalent on the Leica CL and has that wonderful close focusing ability in the LTM version that I’ll bring. That’s it. Two small cameras, four small lenses.

Enjoy your trip, Raid!

Have a great trip to Portugal, Steve. I need one day to leave behind my digital cameras and use instead my M3 and Standard Leica. It is a thought ...
I do not own a Heliar 40/2.8, but I have a Summicron-C 40/2 and a Rolleiflex 40/2.8 and a Pentax-L 43/1.8 and a Zeiss 45/2 Planar modified to M mount.

Last edited:
I've written this before, in fact many times before. Oh, well. Here goes, again.

I gave up on the '50s several decades ago. A 50 has too long a 'throw' for my liking. The last time I used one was in Indonesia in 1993, with a Nikkormat FT2, that camera, a 50/2 Nikkor (one of the old ones), hood and one UV filter was my entire kit for three wonderful months of travel in Bali, East Java and the islands of the Java Sea. I took a few thousand images, mostly Ektachrome. And sold heaps. I've not since had a good sale year to reach what I earned that year as stock and publishing sales. Except in 1970 when I first went to Bali, did mostly B&W and sold even more. Back then images taken in Bali had a ready market, but now you can't give them away, if you doubt this just Google "Bali photos" and learn for yourself...

Onwards. My travel kit is now a Nikon D or Fuji XE with two lenses, in 35mm film parlance my pair of optics is the 28 and the 85 (or a 180 if I want to do more stealthful images). I could easily survive with a 28. My next preferred length would be a 35/2.0. I own all these lenses so it's a matter of easy choice for me.

Apart from the discipline involved (also dare I use that dreaded word, "minimalism"?), it's an easy kit to carry at my age. All of it goes into a Lowepro bag and into my backpack. No fuss, no bother, no last-minute dithering and rash decision-making or later regrets that I didn't have the right lens at the right time in the right place.

For me now travel is more the experience than the image. I reckon we all reach this point in life. It took me fifty years to get here, and I'm enjoying it.

Whatever kit Raid takes will ensure he gets all his usual superb images. So bon voyage. And happy holidays...

Have a great trip to Portugal, Steve. I need one day to leave behind my digital cameras and use instead my M3 and Standard Leica. It is a thought ...
I do not own a Heliar 40/2.8, but I have a Summicron-C 40/2 and a Rolleiflex 40/2.8 and a Pentax-L 43/1.8 and a Zeiss 45/2 Planar modified to M mount.
I intend on taking my M3 and rigid Summicron on a 5 day sojourn to Portland, Oregon next month. I might bring my X-Pro3 as backup but I intend to keep it at our host's house unless there's a problem with the M3. 1C1L works best for me on vacations.

I intend on taking my M3 and rigid Summicron on a 5 day sojourn to Portland, Oregon next month. I might bring my X-Pro3 as backup but I intend to keep it at our host's house unless there's a problem with the M3. 1C1L works best for me on vacations.
That is usually my modus operandi....If i still had my Mamiya 6MF (1989-95), that w/ the 50mm wide angle would do it on all fronts for me. I sold it when i started to have concerns about the electronics longevity. If it had been mechanical i'd still be using it. I have a real preference for printing from bigger negatives.....

Last edited:
Back