Prototype MINT 35mm Film Camera

I guess I'm just not sure why young buyers matter more than just buyers in general. I am 50. I am interested because I want an AF compact film camera and do not like what is out there used due to prices vs. availability of repair. So I am watching Pentax and Mint. I cannot be alone.

And do we know it is a completely an AE camera?

Last edited:
I probably qualify as young by the standards of many here, though likely not as young as is meant by “young film enthusiasts”. Anyway, I’m here because I shoot mostly rangefinders. But I’ll happily buy Mint’s camera, and I have a feeling it will go over well with people in their 20s and 30s.

Incidentally, I already own a Mint SF70 which is an Instax rangefinder, and it’s quite nice.

I just wish everyone who brings up all these pedantic reasons for why there would not be a strong market for a full-fledged new film camera would just pipe down and wait for it to become a reality, and then if it actually goes the direction they think it will, they can say I told you so as often as they like.

Personally I think it's way off base and a new, good film camera will fly off the shelves. And I'll be saying I told you so also, when it becomes a reality.

Now, I'm not saying Mint is the company who will realize this, solely because they don't have a big distribution base. It'll still sell, but volume will be small. Maybe the Pentax film camera(s) will be the ones to provide my point.

I just wish everyone who brings up all these pedantic reasons for why there would not be a strong market for a full-fledged new film camera would just pipe down and wait for it to become a reality, and then if it actually goes the direction they think it will, they can say I told you so as often as they like.

Personally I think it's way off base and a new, good film camera will fly off the shelves. And I'll be saying I told you so also, when it becomes a reality.

Now, I'm not saying Mint is the company who will realize this, solely because they don't have a big distribution base. It'll still sell, but volume will be small. Maybe the Pentax film camera(s) will be the ones to provide my point.
Speaking of Pentax, anything recently from them about their film camera? I would think they would be doing everything possible to keep the buzz going.

Yeah, I can't imagine why a site like rangefinder forum would be opposed to any new film camera... especially one that is a step above the toys that are generally released in the film camera world these days. It might not be a Leica, but it certainly is a step in the right direction. Now, do not get me wrong, there are great 35mm SLR film camera deals all over the place. But in the autofocus P&S world, the options are not as plentiful at decent prices. That is where these new cameras from Pentax and Mint come into play.

I don't think we need the equivalent of any mid or lower end 1970s-tech film cameras, especially since the last real film SLRs were so fantastic. Remake the Contax Aria or something and use it as a platform for several models of it with different lens mounts. All of the R&D has already been done, all costs of development were already recouped, and components can be made at a cheaper cost than in 1998. Or a Nikon F6 body that could be made for different lens mounts.

I don't think we need the equivalent of any mid or lower end 1970s-tech film cameras, especially since the last real film SLRs were so fantastic.
I think they are being smart in making a serious AF point and shoot. There are a lot of great SLRs out there used.
Remake the Contax Aria or something and use it as a platform for several models of it with different lens mounts. All of the R&D has already been done, all costs of development were already recouped, and components can be made at a cheaper cost than in 1998. Or a Nikon F6 body that could be made for different lens mounts.
No big company is going to make this... why would Nikon make the F6 in any other mount than its own? Also, it couldn't be a Z mount right?

I went to a photo walk last month. There were approximately 100 people in attendance, a large majority of whom appeared to be 30 or younger. (I don't know what qualifies as "young" these days but 30 seems awfully young to me. ) The vast majority of these photographers had some form of 35mm SLR, mostly mechanical/manual focus models. There were a few Leicas and medium format cameras, and one person had what I think was a Lomo LC-A, but otherwise I don't think I saw a single point and shoot film camera.

I think they are being smart in making a serious AF point and shoot. There are a lot of great SLRs out there used.

No big company is going to make this... why would Nikon make the F6 in any other mount than its own? Also, it couldn't be a Z mount right?
I was thinking of the new Pentax film camera -- but my information was outdated, I guess it will be now be some kind of point and shoot and not an SLR like some thought. The fact that everyone is focusing on p&s instead of real cameras kind of demonstrates that this is more about satisfying a perceived trend and not improving upon established film photography in any way. While the MINT seems to be using a cell-phone camera autofocusing system, which is kind of neat I guess, it better have a stellar, world-class fast lens or something, or it is a non-starter, at least for me.

Just this video featuring a Pentax guy who is part of the project:

This video is just another proof of how quickly manufacturers are ditching technologies and skilled workers for quick money.
I realized if first after visiting Hamilton, ON waterworks museum. They have giant wheel which needs bearings replacement. They could get the bearing, but documentation, no skills left for how to replace it.

I went to a photo walk last month. There were approximately 100 people in attendance, a large majority of whom appeared to be 30 or younger. (I don't know what qualifies as "young" these days but 30 seems awfully young to me. ) The vast majority of these photographers had some form of 35mm SLR, mostly mechanical/manual focus models. There were a few Leicas and medium format cameras, and one person had what I think was a Lomo LC-A, but otherwise I don't think I saw a single point and shoot film camera.
AF point and shoot cameras like the Contax T3 are like $2000. It is probably a good reason you did not see one on photo walk. Also, for instance, I would never go on a photowalk like that. 100 people all photographing the same thing? No thank you.

I was thinking of the new Pentax film camera -- but my information was outdated, I guess it will be now be some kind of point and shoot and not an SLR like some thought.
Yes, but I am not sure they ever said they were making an SLR. I think they said they were making a film camera and everyone expected reissues of their favorite Pentax camera.
The fact that everyone is focusing on p&s instead of real cameras kind of demonstrates that this is more about satisfying a perceived trend and not improving upon established film photography in any way.
Perhaps they are improving the boutique P&S? They are certainly real cameras. They can improve upon the film P&S. If it works out, it could be the start of more cameras that they make. You have to start somewhere. I do not think it is as easy as people think making a new film camera from scratch.
While the MINT seems to be using a cell-phone camera autofocusing system, which is kind of neat I guess, it better have a stellar, world-class fast lens or something, or it is a non-starter, at least for me.
Looking at the size of the lens, I doubt it'll be too fast.

Yes, but I am not sure they ever said they were making an SLR. I think they said they were making a film camera and everyone expected reissues of their favorite Pentax camera.
I think they said they want to work up to a fully mechanical ILC camera, that will probably be an SLR unless they're going to figure out a different mount for it, which is unlikely. But this is all assuming their first and second film projects come out and are popular.

AF point and shoot cameras like the Contax T3 are like $2000. It is probably a good reason you did not see one on photo walk. Also, for instance, I would never go on a photowalk like that. 100 people all photographing the same thing? No thank you.
This was actually the first film-oriented photowalk that I had heard of in my area (and I've been into this stuff for 12+ years and am pretty sure I would have heard of any previous ones). It was great fun to meet other film shooters. While I don't think I'll be winning a Pulitzer for any of my shots, I had a great time.

This was actually the first film-oriented photowalk that I had heard of in my area (and I've been into this stuff for 12+ years and am pretty sure I would have heard of any previous ones). It was great fun to meet other film shooters. While I don't think I'll be winning a Pulitzer for any of my shots, I had a great time.
No, do not get me wrong. I would meet up with people when I lived in NYC to walk around and photograph. Generally not a gang of 100 though. That sounds crazy. However, I get it... sometimes it is just nice to talk to other people that are into what you are into.

On a side note, I would think that some of those 100 people have multiple cameras...and probably some point and shoots if it was a film group.

It was a bit crazy, but in a fun way. (I'm in Florida, so that's kind of normal here.)

I saw a few people with multiple cameras, but don't recall seeing any point-and-shoots. Maybe some have them as concealed carry backups. Like they say in the military: two is one and one is none.

A hundred people participating in a photo walk? How can you not end up with photos of each other, accidentally or otherwise?

I was a huge fan of P&S during the film days and shot with multiple Minilux cameras each with different films. I bought the SK Grimes lens hoods for them and rigged yellow filters for b/w. Ultimately the Ricoh GR series were the most useful for street due to the lack of shutter lag in Snap mode.

Back