New York NYC Journal

Afternoon Devil Cal,

New James Bright SEASIDE 500CM Hasselblad CFV16 50mm Distagon F9.5 C171 Beauty by Nokton48, on Flickr

Years ago I snagged some James Bright Backgrounds which were sold by Sinar and Calumet. Now this one has come along (entitled "Seaside") for $35 with the money going to charity. Tested with Hasselblad 500C/M CFV16 Digital Back 50mm F4 C T* Distagon EI 50 Broncolor C171 375J Universal Beauty Dish F9.5. Love it.

Devil Dan,

That was a no brainer steal deal.

There is a lot of depth and detail to the backdrop, and your exposure captures it well.

How are you liking digital? Those monster sized pixel are great.

My MM is not a lot of pixels, but because of the lack of a Bayer Filter Array the resolution is mucho high. Meanwhile my SL2 has about 48 MP. Crazy resolution and overkill. I can’t justify a 60 MP SL3.

I could see me getting a SL3S though for ISIS, but having 60 MP to crop really is not my style. A SL3 Monochrom though would be a game changer with APO L-Glass.

Why doesn’t Leica make a Monochrom version is a good question.

Cal

I have a Hematologist appointment. It is so weird that I have to go to an Oncology department like I am a Cancer patient.

I was first aware I had Cold Agglutinin Disease at the age of 49. I am now 66.

A woman PCP wanted to know why my bloodwork was unusual. Then I was on a watch and wait routine while my IgM antibodies were monitored quarterly for a decade. Pretty much I’m asymptomatic, and a bit of a medical mystery because my levels would suggest a very sick person.

There seemed to be no reason for the continued monitoring, but now I am older. I still remain stable, but I now want to stay on top of this again because now I am older. Know that CAD mostly effects old people.

So far my sensitivity to the cold is no worse, and short milder winters are in my favor.

People are starting to drop like flies. Pretty much a wake-up call.

Truth is uncontrolled growth in cells is Cancer. For some unknown reason my body produces too much of this IgM antibody that first damages and then later destroys red blood cells, but then again my body is able to generate enough replacements to avoid handicapping me.

People with CAD suffer anemias. My red Blood Cell counts are on the low end of the spectrum, and at times I border into a mild anemia, especially in the winter.

This is a rare disease according to the CDC. Only about one in 100K people have this disease, and mostly it effects old people in their 80’s for the most part. CAD is not a death sentence and for the most part I can expect a full life expectancy, but if it makes the jump into a full blown Cancer it manifests into Lymphoma and because of the underlying disease death mercifully would come quickly.

I think knowing all this effects my attitude. No tolerance for BS. Take my good heath seriously. Stay fit.

I also know from research that any treatment actually tends to promote advancement of the disease. I have my eyes wide open. It was suggested that for health reasons I might have to move to a warm climate for health reasons. That day might come.

So far things are looking good for Peekskill. I would prefer to die here at an old age that has a good probability to exceed 100.

I have to go to a memorial service out on Long Island. It is a bit awkward because the service is for the father and the son is no longer my friend. The son once was a great friend, but when I moved into the city the relationship became one sided. I made the trips to maintain the relationship, but this was not reciprocated. I told Steve it was his choice to keep me as a friend because I was giving up. It was an oh-well moment, and I just wanted to move forward.

Basically I was thrown away and that is on Steve.

Steve’s dad was like a father to me. I learned a lot from him. I was like another son. He had a situation and ended up in jail. This changed him and he abandone everyone including his family. After jail he was a changed man, and the man I loved was gone.

I am going to the memorial service to honor the man that once loved me like a son, and the man I loved, not the broken man he became. What a tragedy.

I don’t miss my old friend Steve. It is what it is: a dead relationship. I am not sad, but I’m glad I had the self respect to see everything for what it was.

So this rant is about respect and self respect…

As you can see, I know who I am, and I’m still growing. Know I will also see many of my musician friends at the memorial.

Life goes on. The sad thing is that people I know are dying, and this seems to be accelerating. It seems like an exclamation point, not that I have survivor’s guilt, but in the framework of appreciation for the life I have that illuminates every day because I take nothing for granted.

Cal

Last edited:
I just watched the video clip from the Tamron Hall show.

I was there, but in the wings photographing. The event for me was a blur and I did not take in what was actually happening until I watched the clip.

The inside smut is that “Maggie” was the last guest on the show, and the guest before her ran over and stole some of the time allocated for Maggie. The staff was very apologetic.

If you watch the clip it seems speedy and rushed.

Now I understand why not all the photos that were projected onto the backdrop were used: there was not enough time.

Live and learn. And an oh-well…

Looking forward to Woodstock Book Festival. I may have to abuse coffee because I’m still a bit worn. Know that I have days without coffee, but I certainly cut down, and when I do it tends to be only one cup.

BTW I’m not so sure how 60 MP in the SL3 could be practical if you tend not to crop like I do. As it is the 48 MP renders mucho huge files on my SL2. I use 128 GB SD cards that back in the day set me back plenty. Don’t remember the price, but I do remember how surprised I was at the expense.

I can see why I might want a SL3 “S” version that might be perhaps 24 MP like the SL2S. The larger pixel does better in low light, and since I could not justify a SL2S after last night’s shoot I can see that ISIS certainly is more of an asset then I previously thought.

My thinking is the bigger pixel especially matters in low light conditions. Not so sure where the tipping point might be where enhanced resolution might tip things into being too clinical and sterile. Somewhere in my mind is a sweet spot. The 48 MP sensor of the SL2 certainly is sharp, but in a pleasing manner. The sharp to OOF is mighty smooth on the SL2. Might the SL3 be too much?

As of now though my SL2 with 48 MP does really well with L-glass at night, I have to do some comparison testing with manual focus lenses before passing further judgement.

As it stands now I can do a lot of photography with just my MM and SL2. Not a bad digital kit, but pretty much I never use or carry both cameras at the same time. Either B&W or color, and never both at the same time.

The grand kids will be on a spring break, so we won’t be seeing them for a bit. Maggie and the grandson’s mother are starting to freak out again because they think his speech is delayed. I’m thinking he is a very smart kid like my friend MIke who basically didn’t talk until he was ready and wanted to.

Because he is so clever and smart they expect him to be advanced in everything. He is only 18 moths old, but he fits 24 month old clothing.

Cal

Last edited:
Beware all the 'freebies', Cal. The media thrives on those. At some point Maggie (and you also) will have to draw a firm line on those giveaways, and say "no more!". Otherwise you will be two more victims to my old warning, to not let yourself become "grist for the media mill".

A long time ago I wrote a book which was a moderate success (and got reprinted two times, both in Japan). An English version had a few copies sent to Australia, which sold quickly. Sydney media caught on to this and I got no end of invites from TV networks to appear on this or that talkfest show, usually at midday, with the usual motley audience of tittering old ladies and elderly gentlemen with not much else to do other than to get themselves into the audiences for these grist-mills.

After three or four of those time-consuming and frankly exhausting TV appearances I decided, (to again quote myself), "no more!". Not long afterwards an invite came from one of the b-i-g midday programs, to do a 10 minute interview on the book. To which I responded, "okay, why about a guest fee?" The response from the program director was, "oh, so you know about those, do you?" Yes, I did. I got $200 AND my travel costs out of it.

A few more invitations then came my way but were quickly withdrawn when I asked, for in fact demanded, a fee. One or two of the more ethical networks (I won't name these, any Australian reading this will know which those are) were happy to pay me for my time, and even gave me additional air time and space, most likely to get more value from their payment. Our national broadcaster which was then more of a respected network than it has now become, invited me to three more appearances.

After two months of this no more offers came - and I realized I was then Yesterday's News. which suited me.

I had sold the book rights to a publisher for one publication only. Which sold out. The second run didn't do quite so well, but I earned enough from it to recoup the $$ I had invested in travel and other expenses to do the book. Now and then I trot it out and let it do the rounds of the publishing world, but so far no takes. Again, this is okay. I've had my time in the spotlight, and I'm satisfied with that.

I didn't get rich from all this fiddle-dee-dee (and in some ways I guess, folderol), but I earned enough to pad out the moderate $$ I was paid in royalties for the book. I did have hopes of selling it as a film or TV documentary. A Japanese TV network was interested and optioned it for a year. In the end nothing came of this.

Another point I've picked up on your posts. Of late you seem to be running in many directions. Be cautious of burn-out. You are still young compared to me (I have a full decade on you), but you should monitor your energy levels carefully and try to pace yourself to use your time carefully (and get more done out of your days). You also need to give yourself enough periods of rest in-between all your activities, and of course monitor your general health and watch your diet.

All good suggestions to help you reach the C-mark in life. Me, I will be happy to hit eighty, at which time I will stay more at home, maybe buy a motorized rocking chair and a good Castlemaine Woollen Mills blanket for our two cats to sit and purr on while I read my books and watch old YouTube movies. 80 and maybe a bit more will see me through. I've no wish to spend the last two decades of my life in a bed being spoon fed mush and wiped when my diaper is changed. Eighty will be enough for me.

And now may I say, your diary is an amazing document and statement of your personal growth. Many thanks from me for putting in all the time and effort you do into it.

Wishing you and Maggie all the best in the activities now under way and soon to come. Please remember to pace...!

Last edited:
DU,

Thanks for sharing and wisdom.

I do feel the burn. I have been catching up on my sleep a half hour at a time. Here I promote myself as a lazy-slacker, but really I am a bit of a hammer also.

Been hard to regularly exercise as much as I want to. My well tailored Paul Smith jeans fit a bit too tight to my liking, but also I have to mind the cold weather because of CAD.

People remark about how I don’t look my age. Someone remarked last week that I look 46 instead of 66. Yesterday at the doctor’s office something similar happened. I am mindful that I need regular exercise more than strength training at this point. I can be described as lean and muscular, a kinda cross between a runner and a boxer. At a Patagonia store a woman in fact asked me if I was a runner.

Of course I’m a bit of a flirt. “Don’t tell Maggie.” I draw a lot of looks… To some women I am just a piece of meat…

Maggie tells me that we are over the hump and things will get less busy, but I realize also the truth that one thing leads to another. You are absolutely correct that you have to draw a line somewhere. Maggie and I have talked about our priorities: family; our health and fitness; and our home.

I hope and want things to settle down. I think Maggie also wants the same, but like we say, one thing leads to another…

At this point Maggie says, “I want my life back, and I just want to write.” She also said many times, “I am done.”

I worry about Maggie’s temperament because she always needs to strive in a manor that needs to impress other people. We also talked about this a lot. In her words she has always had to prove her worth.

At this point we agree that if an event does not promote her as a writer then it is no good. She does not need or want to be an activist or involved in other people’s business. She wants to establish a community of writers, and this is great because she has social needs. It would be great if she had more independence from me.

We agreed that the days of “slavery” are behind us, and that we need to be compensated and paid at this point.

Her publisher is done promoting the book also, so much of the nonsense will stop. Maggie still does many zoom calls, telephone interviews, and podcasts. At a certain point these occupy her time and disrupts her from writing.

I expect that I will get back on track with building out our homestead, gardening, and home improvements as well as the disciplines of guitar and biking. I feel that I likely will have more solo opportunity to bike and practice guitar, so I’m in my good space and less of an enabler.

So back to Maggie’s temperament, if she can’t learn and curb her stress and anxiety, I think this might seriously effect the outcome of her lifespan. I am pretty certain I will exceed 100. I have good genes and remarkable health. In Maggie I see a rather rapid decline and aging taking place over the past 3 years.

I am deeply concerned because in a way I already am a caretaker. I have taken up a lot of the slack that otherwise would not get done. Because of my past, I took care of my little brother and my father. I was a caretaker as a teenager, and now it is still getting played out.

I worry that something has to give… something has to change… and I am hopeful that Maggie settles down.

I’m a bit Burnt out and exhausted, but I think I caught it in time.

Cal

Last edited:
Would you trust a lawyer? Next question: would you trust a lawyer to be right about predicting and controlling inflation at the FED? Third question: Did you know that Jerome Powell, the head of the FED, is a lawyer and not an economist?

So now the big question: Does the FED have inflation under control?

Hmmm… I don’t know…

Not to traumatize you, but what if the FED is wrong? Might Stagflation happen?

Hmmm.

I have a reputation for being seen. A IT computer tech worker at the hospital I worked at asked if I lived in Harlem because he saw me up there so many times.

My UPS driver sees me either walking or riding a bike all over. Sometimes even pushing a stroller. The big time layoffs at UPS he says a cyclical and seasonal. Mike says he is immune at this point because he has seniority.

I asked him if his overtime got cut, and he reported that not only did they expand his route, but they also increased his overtime. Basically they are working a smaller workforce harder.

Then I asked him if Amazon is a problem for UPS and he quickly responded with a no.

So here I am, not only a street photographer, but also a street reporter.

Overall though Mike thinks the consummer is slowing down and taking a breath-breather.

I don’t think Mike is wrong.

Hmmm…

Cal

I walked to the Central which now is a cafe and restaurant, but formerly was the Peekskill Train Station. This was the agreed meeting place to take the shots I needed for the Peekskill Herald. I arrived 15 minutes early and waited 45 minutes.

A no-show. I figured the guy forgot he had an appointment. I had no phone on me, so I walked home for the exercise.

At home I checked my phone: no messages. This reinforced that this dude simply forgot. Then I checked my E-mail.

So pretty much I made the call, and pretty much the excuse was an emergency. When he said, “I’m sorry,” I felt like saying, “No you are not,” but I held back.

To not disappoint my editor I kept my cool. Regina is a kind woman, and she does a lot for our community.

I had this guy come to my house, and I kinda manufactured a street portrait. I did not want a stiff straight forward formal portrait. It will be a bit of a testing of my editor.

John had on sloppy attire that included a baseball hat and a T-shirt, but the T-shirt had the expression “Captain Law” as a logo.

I had John open his jacket to emphasize the T-shirt, and the T-shirt caught the light an glowed. Then there is a shot of him checking his cell phone, then I had him look up. I have a few of the T-shirt shots where I moved closer for a tighter shot.

Not a distinguished looking guy, but I tried to make him look hip. Of course I took some conventional shots to cover that look.

I’ll send the J-Pegs to Regina later today. I hope she selects the posed street shots.

Shot with the Leica SL2 with the 35 Cron.

Cal

At Christmas I photographed Santa and about thirty different families, at the local lodge my Sons belong to. My way to brighten their Christmas, and I felt good about contibuting to their community. Passed the chip over and Son emailed everybody their XMAS photos. Used one of my Sony Nexes set to "Auto Everything". Worked very well! The Blad Back is super friendly and I love the files right out of the camera. I use digital to tune everything up and then shoot some film, sometimes with different cameras. Digital is a different mindset than shooting Analog for me. Everything about it is different. And I'm diggin' how convenient it is! Still photography though. I'm saving a fortune on Instant Film :) If I use it enough it will pay for the CFV16.

Keep hefting those Leicas! Dust 'em off

I was going through my gear and was drooling over my cameras.

An unusual rig is my black MD-2 equiped with a Tom Abramson Rapidwinder, Tom Abramson Rapid Grip, 21 mm Ziess external viewfinder rigged with a 21/3.4 Leica Super Augulon “R” with hood.

I have the Leica “R” to “M” adapter that is part of my SL kit.

Setting the focus at 2 meters at F5.6 makes the camera a point and shoot. The Rapidwinder makes it a fast shooter. Not too big, kinda light in weight, and you can shoot a crazy amount of film with this.

Clean 21/3.4 Super Augulons in “M” mount kinda got expensive. They say the optics from the “M” and “R” versions are the same. I bought the “R” version because not only was it inexpensive, but it came with caps, hood and even the box.

This camera just looks cool. Sherry overhauled the MD2 body, so I am good to go.

Then pair this with a black SL2-MOT that is mucho clean that Sherry assembled from two SL2 bodies. One camera I would say was in street fighter condition that was all dented, but no blood stains. It was so heavily used that the lens mount needed replacement, but it had a perfect prism and the meter worked.

The other SL2 was a shelf queen in museum condition. I figure the meter failed early in its life (born in the mid-seventies) and languished there for decades. The other problem this camera had was the prism was desilvering.

So from two cameras I had Sherry build me one. Sherry also modded the power supply so I could use modern batteries instead of the mercury cells.

I love the viewfinder and the way oversized speed dial. This camera loves my 50 Lux-“R” E60 which I think renders a lot like a Noctilux, but of course without F1.0. Very pretty bokeh and OOF with that Leica look.

So these two cameras make a really nice kit of a 21 and a 50 FOV.

Something classic about shooting two old cameras that were refreshed with mucho classic lenses. Both render with signatures.

Awesome.

Cal

Devil Dan,

Look at the post above. I have treasures like you.

No doubt that digital is different than old analog. My problem is I love both.

You must know by now how crazy it is to have a camera with major big pixels. That Blad back must be a killer.

Last night I dug into my digital history. Remember our friend John claims I have a camera “museum.” LOL

I was an early adopter of the MM when it came out in 2012. I remember one poster on this forum saying that a monochrome sensor was dumb, but without the Bayer Filter Array the M-Monochrom gained one full-stop on its base ISO and pretty much the 18 MP sensor gained and garnered the resolution of a 36 MP camera.

Not dumb at all. This first Leica Monochrom also has a CCD sensor, and to me it most renders like film. It is a very basic and crude camera, and that is what I love about it.

I had Leica replace the sensor for free and at the same time it got overhauled. The sad thing though is it also received new leatherette. My old leatherette was worn smooth by my fingertips because I used a grip. The black anodize has silvering because I used this camera so much.

Back in the day the MM cost me $8K, and that price was more than the price on the SL and the SL2.

I bought a SL in 2015, and back then L-mount glass was designed and not manufactured yet. This was painful because I had to shoot fashion with manual focus lenses.

Then in 2019 I bought the SL2. This is a camera I helped design because I was part of a focus group that helped spec it out. I’m still waiting for a Monochrom version.

BTW camera drooling and camera fondling is mucho fun.

Then there are the Linhofs. I’m in love I tell you.

Cal

This portrait I did as an assignment for The Peekskill Herald was a bit of a performance.

I got John to relax and perhaps show a different side of him.

My editor is running a series called “Ten Questions.” I have no idea what this is about.

Kinda funny how subconsciously I riffed off of the idea of making statements by asking questions.

I actually am worried that we might be in a long period of Stagflation. While the level of inflation might not be as high as in the 70’s, and unemployment also not as high as in the 70’s, this could play out in time verses high levels.

My thinking is a prolonged low growth period and moderate inflation perhaps over a decade or decade and a half.

I am seeing inflated prices on assets, collectibles, real estate, and hard assets that suggest people or smart money hoarding stores of value.

History also has shown and indicated is one way to destroy debt is with inflation. The governments around the world certainly have mucho record levels of debt. Then there are the consumers.

I’m not saying this is a repeat of the 70’s, but a prolonged sluggish economy is like trending water and going nowhere until you tire and drown. People burdened with debt will sink to the bottom of the sea.

Cal

At Christmas I photographed Santa and about thirty different families, at the local lodge my Sons belong to. My way to brighten their Christmas, and I felt good about contibuting to their community. Passed the chip over and Son emailed everybody their XMAS photos. Used one of my Sony Nexes set to "Auto Everything". Worked very well! The Blad Back is super friendly and I love the files right out of the camera. I use digital to tune everything up and then shoot some film, sometimes with different cameras. Digital is a different mindset than shooting Analog for me. Everything about it is different. And I'm diggin' how convenient it is! Still photography though. I'm saving a fortune on Instant Film :) If I use it enough it will pay for the CFV16.

Keep hefting those Leicas! Dust 'em off
Good for you Dan.

I was going through my gear and was drooling over my cameras.

An unusual rig is my black MD-2 equiped with a Tom Abramson Rapidwinder, Tom Abramson Rapid Grip, 21 mm Ziess external viewfinder rigged with a 21/3.4 Leica Super Augulon “R” with hood.

I have the Leica “R” to “M” adapter that is part of my SL kit.

Setting the focus at 2 meters at F5.6 makes the camera a point and shoot. The Rapidwinder makes it a fast shooter. Not too big, kinda light in weight, and you can shoot a crazy amount of film with this.

Clean 21/3.4 Super Augulons in “M” mount kinda got expensive. They say the optics from the “M” and “R” versions are the same. I bought the “R” version because not only was it inexpensive, but it came with caps, hood and even the box.

This camera just looks cool. Sherry overhauled the MD2 body, so I am good to go.

Then pair this with a black SL2-MOT that is mucho clean that Sherry assembled from two SL2 bodies. One camera I would say was in street fighter condition that was all dented, but no blood stains. It was so heavily used that the lens mount needed replacement, but it had a perfect prism and the meter worked.

The other SL2 was a shelf queen in museum condition. I figure the meter failed early in its life (born in the mid-seventies) and languished there for decades. The other problem this camera had was the prism was desilvering.

So from two cameras I had Sherry build me one. Sherry also modded the power supply so I could use modern batteries instead of the mercury cells.

I love the viewfinder and the way oversized speed dial. This camera loves my 50 Lux-“R” E60 which I think renders a lot like a Noctilux, but of course without F1.0. Very pretty bokeh and OOF with that Leica look.

So these two cameras make a really nice kit of a 21 and a 50 FOV.

Something classic about shooting two old cameras that were refreshed with mucho classic lenses. Both render with signatures.

Awesome.

Cal
About a year back, I bought a M42 to Leica M adapter so I could use my M42 wide angles on my M3 and M4. I've got a Russian 16mm, a 17mm Takumar and a 20mm Takumar and a Vivitar T4 21mm I bought for my Nikons. Since the depth of field is so deep with these, I saw no reason to spend more money on Leica lenses. Like you I just set them to the hyperfocal distance and fire away. I'm cheap also !

MFM,

Nothing wrong with hoarding money. Those expensive Leica “M” and “R” adapters allow a lot of creative adaptability. I have F-mount adapter that allows me to use the Noctilux F1.2 profile on my SL2 via the Leica “R” to “L” adapter.

It can get crazy. “Crazy is good,” I say.

If I remember correctly I bought the boxed 21/3.4 “R” for $749.00 with the caps, box and hood. It looks totally evil on the black MD-2. The MD-2 is minty and I have the box for that. Got that camera at B&H.

Cal

Devil Cal,

Now I want to remind you of the "TomA" method for loading 35mm Cartridges with XX 5222. Cut some strips of tape for securing the film to the 35mm spool. In the dark pull "stretch out an arm's length" "approximately 36 exposures" of XX, and roll er up. Scissors go in the back pocket so you can find them to cut the roll. That's it! Easy Peasy and foolproof. I usually roll up ten or so at a time. Never any scratches this way! You can do this anywhere it is dark.

I have a very cool LTM kit. One camera is an original black paint Leica II that has nickel knobs rigged with a nickel Elmer that has clean glass.

Our friend Sam who is a collector flat traded with me in exchange for a silver Pentax Special lens that somehow he data mined and found out I had. This is a very pretty pristine camera. It came with a never ready case.

Then I have this rare Tower LTM that is not a bottom loader. I can set this up with a black Canon 28/3.5 with the Canon 28mm VF’er.

Lots of style here.

A M3-DS with a glass pressure plate needs some repair still. Nippon Camera Repair replaced the shutter that went south, but the camera repeatedly jammed. I brought it back several times, and I gave up on them. Now I need to see if it can be really fixed. Perhaps DAG, but I have no relationship with him.

I have a first version 50 Rigid, and don’t tell anyone that a modern 50 Elmer hood works well and is evil on this lens. You just can’t use a filter or it will vignette. The beauty of using an modern Elmer hood is not only protection and good looks, but there is no VF’er blockage. Don’t tell anyone my secrete.

The version 1 has a narrow focus ring, and my version has the distance scale in feet only for us gringos for a very seriously clean look. “Pure evil,” I say This is one hot rig.

Then I pair the M3-DS with a M4 that has a Hammertone paint. Very evil with my 35/1.8 Nikkor in LTM.

I have a Leica leather bag that accommodates both cameras perfectly, and there is a story here. Our Friend John and Promone were with me, and togeter we went to Adorama to look around.

Angel in the used department yells out and calls me over because he has cool stuff to show me. I get treated like I’m some celeb or VIP. John and Promone take notice and also are taken back because I’m getting all the attention. John comes over to look into a showcase and gets scolded.

“Don’t touch anything,” Angel says as if John is a Leper.

It is as if from the scene in the rock and roll film “This Is Spinal Tap,” where a reporter is told “Don’t even look at that guitar.”

Then I see this small compact leather bag that interests me. I ask the price and Angel says, “$89.99, but I’ll mark it down to $49.99 for you.

“I’ll take it,” I say, meanwhile John and Promone are feeling fully snubbed. John was actually angry, but of course I found it amusing and funny. How cool is that?

The cool thing about this tan Leica bag is that it is mucho compact. The M3-DS and the M4 fully rigged with glass are held securely upright on their ends in two side to side holsters. The top has twin zippers, and there is a snap to roll up the leather lid. Pretty much a perfect design, but it is a bit of a trophy for me because of the insult both John and Promone received at Adorama. They got treated like lepers. LOL.

Another story is in the B&H used department. “I was just minding my own business” talking with one of my friends at the used counter when another photographer came over and engaged me, than another.

Eventually Chris the salesman asked me if I could step aside so he could help another customer. Not that it was a flash mob, but it kinda turned out to be a bit like one of my NYC Meet-Ups except it was at the used counter at B&H.

One of the guys said that I reminded him of Joel Meyerwitz. Evidently they were friends and Joel lived nearby.

You can’t make this stuff up.

I’m looking at a glass china cabinet that we bought from the owner of the house. “Maggie” says I can have it to store my cameras. It is a really nice showcase with a mirrored back and curved glass sides. There are 4 shelves. The design is from the Victorian era.

John saw my cameras lined up on shelves in our East Harlem apartment. That is why and how he called my display a camera museum.

Kinda rude, but I love it.

Cal

Last edited:
Devil Dan,

I’m 5’ 10” and I have done as you describe in a darkroom without any bulk loader. I use my arm’s span and get about 40 exposures into the cassette.

It actually is a good workout holding my extended arms up to wind the spool. I use to load 100 feet at a time. Back then it was HP5 was the hot film in art school.

I could loose myself just shooting Kodak 5222. I love this film. I have to check, but I believe I shot it at 400 ISO and developed using my Slacker’s Brew 3+3, only 2 gentile inversions. Spectacular negatives. Pretty much just straight print.

I have to look at my negative sheets that have the info logged and recorded.

Another magic formula is Fuji Acros shot at box speed (100 ISO) for bulb exposures at night using a tripod. No reciprocation failure, Doing night photography usually results in mucho high contrast, but Diafine has a profound compensating effect where even in night photography I get mucho midrange.

BTW my negatives exploit this compensating effect. Kinda like HDR except it is analog film. How crazy is that?

A bonus is that Diafine is “Panthermic” meaning as long as the developers are above 20 degrees “C” temperature otherwise does not matter. Combine this with the fact that Diafine gets reused and does not need replenishment it kinda is mucho great if you are a cheap bastard like me, and also a Lazy-Slacker like me.

Don’t tell anyone, but my secret for finest grain is to minimize agitation. Instead of the recommended 3 inversions, I only do two gentle inversions. Kinda more like stand development is my method.

Cal

Gold is making higher-highs. Pretty much this represents doubt that the FED has inflation under control.

We will be monitoring gold…

Also I think the debt load of governments and consumers is so high that the binge we saw that caused the inflation will cause a prolonged sluggish economy no matter what. I believe this sluggishness will prevail for an extended period of time of perhaps a decade or more. We are talking record levels of debt.

Cal

Back