Leica Film Cameras sales increase ten fold in 8 years

I have two M4-Ps, one M4 and one M8.2. I have also Leitz lenses from 28mm through 90mm (excluding the 75mm). I use all of the film cameras, almost daily--naturally, I don't use "all" of the lenses all of the time; I haven't done much with the M8,2 in about a year. I am always concerned that the M8.2 will "brick" on me--although I have fewer than 3000 clicks on the shutter since purchasing it about seven years ago.

I live in a city of about 7 million (Santiago, Chile). They sell Leica here in like 1 shop and I do see online that some people here use them (and have sold M lenses to people in person). I have used Leica here before. However, I never see any on the streets and that includes tourists. Fear of robbery is strong here (though no more of a threat than say NYC if you aren't in the rough neighborhoods). I have people tell me to put my camera away all the time. I´ve been photographing here almost daily for 6 years. Sony seems popular.

Pity they don't still make the M7. Always wanted one of them.
When I'm shooting in a rapidly changing light--clouds, sun going in and out--I'll likely be shooting my M7. I should think all brands ought to have an aperture priority model among their offerings. Too bad the M7 is gone. I'll be keeping mine.

I haven't seen anybody using a Leica this year. What do the people do with their cameras?

Erik.

Many of those who could afford them new, don't have much time, interest to go out for photography in public.
Most likely just for private joy.

From 2007 to 2019 I have spend a lot of time on the streets wondering with cameras. Canada, States, UK, Russia.
The amount of Leica wearers I have seen is minuscular over this period of time. Never seen anyone with SL, X, TL, Q and so on. Next to none with digital M and handful with film M. I can recall just one with LTM.

But a lot of Leica on YT. I'm subscribed to one NYC photo vlog on YT. By watching it, my impression is what Leica shooter is at every intercession where. In reality, while walking in Manhattan for one week I have seen one shy dude.

Leica days been photographers tool is long time gone. Way too expensive with not up do date service.. And I could see prof of it with what Leica has left as photographers they are trying to push as showcase for the brand.
It is just weak and pathetically cheesy comparing to photogs featured on YT NYC street photography channel or some unknown street photogs with non-expensive compact digitals.

Yes saw that a few days ago.

View attachment 4828341

180 R&D head count is huge ballast to pay German wages comparing to laughable outcome, which is often on the shoulders of Panasonic.

LCAG made 105 million of selling M11 (10K USD cameras), used car priced lenses could easily add another 200 millions. But I wonder how much of the total is from lenses in Chinese mobile phones.

In article they say crowds are after Q3 in France. How it is for Pixii... Seems to be in the crickets stage.

Last edited:
I haven't been out of the SF Bay Area for much of the past three years due to the pandemic, but I see people using Leica M cameras here quite often, and of course they see me too (M10-M and M10-R are now my most-used cameras, although I do carry a Polaroid SX-70 type camera a good bit of the time too, as well as a 6x6 folder). For 35mm film, it's a 50/50 for me whether I'm carrying the Leica M4-2 or a Kodak Retina IIc.

And yes, most of my friends now do most of their picture taking with a smartphone. But most of my friends don't consider themselves interested in being a photographer either. ;) All of those who consider themselves interested in photography carry real cameras. :)

G

Last edited:
I haven't seen anybody using a Leica this year. What do the people do with their cameras?
I sometimes see folks carrying M-cameras in shops and photo exhibits, and once spotted a lone SL user at an outdoor event, but I think that most folks need a specific reason to carry a camera: Wandering urban streets on foot with no particular objective does not register on the popular consciousness!

Spotting someone walking around Yokohama with a Leica Rangefinder hanging around their neck is not an everyday occurrence but it does happen; mostly on the weekends.

A few years ago it was popular in Yokohama for young ladies to use a TLR camera. They’ed go out in small groups taking pictures of each other, laughing, smiling, and having a good time. It looked like a lot of fun to me. However, it seems that fad has faded.

All the best,
Mike

In all my years of Chicago walkabouts I’ve seen one other M. I know there are others because some are here on RFF. Maybe I can’t see you because you’re shooting stealthy black. :)

Does Leica register on that popular consciousness!?
Now that you mention it, it's been years since someone has asked me "Is that a Leica?". But even then, they would ask it of anything which looked exotic and expensive, including a Rolleiflex SL66 :D. The change might have happened around the same time that Leica de-emphasized sales through camera shops, and moved towards their boutique stores (I've never visited one).

I've been to a few tourist hot spots (UK and France) the last year and 90% of people are taking pictures with their phone.
I saw a guy with a Q2 about a year ago, and another gentleman with a digital M in St Emillion a few weeks ago. The sales of Q series cameras would have to be influenced by Youtube. But I also rarely see anyone with a Fuji either.

In a world of 8 billion, people are surprised they don’t see a few Leicas? Tourist spots aren’t exactly the prime Leica spots either. We all know cell phones are popular with non-photographers. Leica is still a niche even if more popular this year.

Back