Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Maybe, sort of, I don't know

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters

aizan

Mentor
Local time
10:57 AM
Whither the coat-pocketable camera, the perfect complement to one's cameraphone?

You can carry it in your coat or your shoulder bag for year-round convenience. It leaves room for the controls. It doesn't leave out features you want, such as a fixed, built-in rangefinder-style EVF, a tilting or fully-articulated LCD, or *shudder* a built-in flash. It doesn't overly limit the speed or zoom range of the lens. The grip isn't too shallow.

Camera companies shouldn't try to beat cameraphones at their own game. The compromises only lead to disappointment. Note the shrinking and still viewfinder- and tilting LCD-less Ricoh GR III, the slippery and tight-belted Sony RX100 series, the squinty-ish Panasonic LX100 II and GX9.

I repeat: In the iPhone age, make compact cameras bigger, not smaller!

Interesting perspective.

What about the opposite, make it smaller than Smart Phones with better controls for the intermediate user. Three cameras/lenses (25, 50, 105) laid out so that you can add lenses & hood, 15 MP or so, no less, a great LCD. Two dials to controls, configurable focus points, a couple of buttons you can assign controls (like cycling through focus points, ISO adjustments) to.

If I want bigger I'd got iPad Pro next generation for the big LCD or EX-3.

And Water Resistant!

B2(;->

Last edited:
At one time I considered buying a smartphone just for the camera. But the phones are too big and their cameras are comparatively poor.
The new Ricoh GR III looks about right. I would like to see an even smaller camera with an apsc sensor and an e-35mm lens but until then I'll pay Ricoh their asking price for the GR III.

I fail to see the lack of options if you want a big camera. Why would you like to get rid of the few options we have for small cameras with big sensors?

The new Zeiss ZX1 is a 800g ‘compact’ camera that answers your dream.

The Ricoh GR and Leica CL/TL series are much more in align with what I’m happy with.

The new Zeiss ZX1 is a 800g ‘compact’ camera that answers your dream.

The Ricoh GR and Leica CL/TL series are much more in align with what I’m happy with.

Or the Sony RX1 series (ZX1? Really, Zeiss couldn't have picked a more original name?).

That said, my RX1RII does cause an unsightly bulge in my jacket pocket and I wouldn't be averse to a Ricoh GRIII when it comes out.

Need biggy? What is wrong with X100 series?
I want digital Minox 35. One rotary switch for ISO, one dial on the lens for the aperture manual and auto, another dial for focus scale. Shutter speed by camera. Or by another switch. Optical VF.
Battery where film was. Screen, meh, not nessesary.

There are billions of cameras, and phones with cameras, in the world. They come in many sizes, from tiny to huge.

Over 14 trillion photos are taken every year.

Seriously, no one needs to make any new cameras of any size for a looooong time. At least they don't need to make any more cameras for photographers. For the gear hound addicts and the people who just want to own the latest electronic marvel, these are people who probably want, but don't need, new cameras.

https://mylio.com/true-stories/tech-today/how-many-digital-photos-will-be-taken-2017-repost

Interesting recently, with a non-photo friend on the way to Africa for safari. "I hear the phone cameras are great now, we'll just use that."

I told them: You need a telephoto, you don't want to carry anything bigger than fits in your pocket, get a P&S with a zoom, at least 10x. Better 30x. A little research finds pocketable P&S cameras with 30x zoom for $250 or less. Good ones. They bought one. And, I bought one.

I like my iPhone. It is my compact camera. I can carry it in my pants or shirt pocket. It’s always there. No bag needed with stuff. It does a lot of things well. I can send a photo immediately to folks if I want to and I’ve got cell service.

My wife’s relatives just on her Moms side had a family reunion in July. I made a group photo with my iPhone. There is around 100 people in the photo. Hand held the phone.
Here is a link to the photo on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...561396.-2207520000.1538100011.&type=3&theater

Here is another photograph for your perusal, a photo of my wife’s aunt Beth who is in her mid-eighties age:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...g8SNLfG.bps.a.2102198546660244&type=3&theater

Smiles.

Methinks Fuji currently has this best covered. It makes big cameras for those who need them, but also smaller apsc system who need smaller kit.

"The perfect complement to one's cameraphone" is not a compact camera as they do the same job - take snaps. At least for me and everyone I know. None of my friends and family have used a point-and-shoot for years...! A "proper" camera is the right complement - the Sony A7R II for me.

I used the Canon G or S series for many years but sold my last after it sat unused gathering dust for 2 years. My phone has totally taken its place - I've a Samsung S7, and in pro camera mode it allows full manual control and even shoots DNG raw files. The image quality is shockingly good and more than enough for holiday pics. Once postprocessed they're as good as any compact's images!

I can understand people wanting a small camera like a Sony X100F - however, that's not a "compact camera" but a small "proper" camera. A compact camera, aka a point-and-shoot, is by definition a simple camera for snapshots - now built into our phones, which also do kinds of other useful things...

The compact camera is dying and I don't mourn it. Less stuff to carry!

IMO phones are getting too big too. The smallest one can still buy new is the iPhone SE.
In the early 2000s the smaller the phone meant the better the phone...

Interesting recently, with a non-photo friend on the way to Africa for safari. "I hear the phone cameras are great now, we'll just use that."

I told them: You need a telephoto, you don't want to carry anything bigger than fits in your pocket, get a P&S with a zoom, at least 10x. Better 30x. A little research finds pocketable P&S cameras with 30x zoom for $250 or less. Good ones. They bought one. And, I bought one.

Thank goodness they listened to you. On the other hand, it would have been an opportunity for a good laugh at their expense and a solid I-told-you-so.

A non-camera acquaintance asked my advice for a first camera, before a trip to America. I suggested the Canon G1X, as it was the best solution to what they wanted at that time. Instead, the salesperson at the shop talked them into buying a Nikon D5500 or something with the kit lens.

When they were at the airport, I saw that the LENS AND BODY WERE SEPARATE in the camera bag. They didn't even attach the body to the lens! This is how 'non camera' these people were.

They barely used that camera, and mainly used their cellphones instead. Goddamn waste of money.

RichC;2837385 I used the Canon G or S series for many years but sold my last after it sat unused gathering dust for 2 years. My phone has totally taken its place - I've a Samsung S7 said:
I have a Samsung Note 8, and while the images are pretty decent, they aren't in the same league as a 1" sensor compact. The images are better than the old Canon S or G 4mp, 7mp and 10mp cameras from 2002-2008, but not like a modern compact. Low light photos are not very good at all, not when you're used to a m43 camera like the Panasonic GM1, or the LX10.

Back