Does Anybody Really Care What Time It Is? Leica Sells Watches

So Leica outsources someone to make them watches, puts their name on them and makes a tidy little profit without having to expend time and resources in doing so. I don't have a problem with that as it's no skin off my nose.

Me either. It just would be nice for a camera company with all that time they saved by not making watches to focus on cameras, camera technology and camera support. It is pretty difficult to believe that this is a high priority over there in Wetzlar. It is hard to believe that this is the best that they can do. I mean, really, Germans, this is the best they can do?? This is the country of, "Punktlich, Korrecht und es ist immer Deutscher besser." They seem to be keen on opening a store which sells cameras among other things and the cameras are supported, sort of. I am just amazed that they get away with what they do. Check out Jay Leno who has an parallel situation with Ferraris.

Service is service and judging from my experience and that of others whose accounts I have read, here, and on the fan-boy Leica board, Leica service is a lot like the service we got for the cow each spring.

I dislike being in this part of the thread. But it really galls me that Wetzlar has come out with a $9,000 body which, if past is prologue, may just be a huge nosebleed that the factory covers more with excuses than warranty repairs. And I would really love to see how many people really believe that Leitz is devoting sufficient time and effort to support and repair. More than that I would really love to see an M camera as bullet-proof as the M-3. Traeumerei.

Anyway, I have exhausted all I wish to say on this. There is no use discussing it as nothing will change.

Here's Leno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPOvcolNZg

A used Rolex, but a new one, only a very few models retail for below the Leica watch price.

Here's a Jeweler in Indianapolis, listed on Rolex's website as their only authorized dealer in Indiana, with several models in stock for less than $9,000. This basic stainless steel Rolex is similar in features to the Leica watch, except that the Rolex is an automatic, and costs only $6150. For a watch that is likely to be a better watch, that will hold its value better.

https://www.reisnichols.com/rolex-wa...ster-perpetual

Here's a Jeweler in Indianapolis, listed on Rolex's website as their only authorized dealer in Indiana, with several models in stock for less than $9,000. This basic stainless steel Rolex is similar in features to the Leica watch, except that the Rolex is an automatic, and costs only $6150. For a watch that is likely to be a better watch, that will hold its value better.

So funny. When I was in the service a stainless Rolex Perpetual went for $125 in the PX, about what it was worth. That was in the early 60's. I bought a Florentine gold tiny lady's watch, chronometer certified Rolex, from a retail jeweler for $250 in '62 stateside. There is a market for shoddy goods at inflated prices now but not at this address.

An illustration of income disparities: A journalist was on his way to London from NY and a very wealthy friend invited him to fly with him on his private jet. As they approached London the buddy and a peer of his on the plane were arguing about who was going to tip the pilot $1,000. He did some quick math and it came out the same as if here were fighting with a friend over who was going to tip[ the pilot a dime. This was about forty years ago. The journalist worked for Sports Illustrated.

So funny. When I was in the service a stainless Rolex Perpetual went for $125 in the PX, about what it was worth. That was in the early 60's. I bought a Florentine gold tiny lady's watch, chronometer certified Rolex, from a retail jeweler for $250 in '62 stateside. There is a market for shoddy goods at inflated prices now but not at this address.

An illustration of income disparities: A journalist was on his way to London from NY and a very wealthy friend invited him to fly with him on his private jet. As they approached London the buddy and a peer of his on the plane were arguing about who was going to tip the pilot $1,000. He did some quick math and it came out the same as if here were fighting with a friend over who was going to tip[ the pilot a dime. This was about forty years ago. The journalist worked for Sports Illustrated.

$125 was a lot of money in the early 60s, wasn't it? My dad likes to tell me how he bought a brand new Chevy Malibu convertible in 1971 for $3500. People are paid a lot more now, but I think prices are higher than they were in the past in real terms. Back in the 60s a lot of professional photographers could afford new Leica gear and used it to earn a living. Virtually none can do so now unless they're earning their livings as 'influencers' who convince rich people to buy Leicas as Jewelry rather than earning their livings making photographs that people buy.

A lot of people like me do fine art photography with Leicas, but we bought decades-old cameras and lenses because its all we could afford. I always did my commercial work with Japanese digital cameras like Canon, Nikon, and Olympus because they were priced for working pros, reliable, produced excellent image quality, and the manufacturers treated professional photographers like valued, important customers. A couple years ago, I sent my Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark II body back to Olympus for warranty service. The very day Olympus America received the camera, they replaced the sensor and it was shipped back the same day. I shipped it to them on a Monday and it was back in my hands on Friday. How many months does Leica need to service a camera now?

As for watches, I have a Seiko that my parents bought for me as a high school graduation gift nearly 30 years ago. It cost them $400, and it still keeps perfect time. I would never spend $6,000 for a watch.

Real men wear an original model G-Shock....

I think the original G-Shock was released in 1983. I have an anniversary special GW-5000-1JF, commonly referred to as a "screw back". The problem I have with the original type G-Shocks is the digital display; I have to put on my glasses to read it. I much prefer the analog style, I can tell the time without having to put on my glasses. Hopefully real men can understand that. :)

All the best,
Mike

I just looked into this a bit more..
Okay..
Its a bit of a fat watch..
41mm x 14.5mm
Not exactly Leica M svelte..
* they dont list the gm weight either..I wonder why..
OK..we already know..
Its more like M240 fatty..
Just Leica sellin their name out..to the highest bidder...
In this case..not even a well known watch manufacturer..
No one with 1/2 a brain is gonna buy this..
Leica has tried since 2018..to enter this market..
But failed..
For half the price..maybe people will buy..maybe..
...naw..
imo..Leica shoulda just started with a cheep watch..lets say..1K to 3K..
Cheep...lol..
And tried to enter the market that way..
Not a great lookin dial either..
Thick as all get out..probably not comfy on the wrist at all..
There is so much better out there w/more..for less..
I think its...DOA..
But..
What woulda been really cool..is go retro w/it..and not try to be hip..which Leica are definitely not..
Just copy the Rolex Explorer..so 36mm to 39mm..which everyone wants..
And put a rightous JLC movement in it..
And have something really cool for the ages ...and charge a bit for it too..what the market will bear..
But thats not the way Leica thinks..to actually bring something great to market..even if they have to rip off Rolex a bit to pull it off..
Thing is..watch sales worldwide..are down the tubes for anybody but a few major brands..
Rolex and Patek..command premiums over msrp..thats about it..
Most all other brands..give discounts..
Which Leica will end up doing I would think..
Prediction..in the end..
These will sale out at wholesale cost..or at a loss..
...and at the best..maybe a 10% profit stuck in there..
For the hapless retailer of this junk...thats not even waterproof..

Hmmm, I can't help wondering what would happen if Rolex started to make or re-label cameras. It might bring down the price of Leicas...

One of the more interesting problems both of them have is that there are a lot of forgeries about.

Regards, David

An economist friend of mine was telling me few months ago how prices for watches have been increasing by quite a bit during the pandemic. Nobody knows exactly why. My guess is that suddenly we have extra time and we need a way to measure it.

So Leica outsources someone to make them watches, puts their name on them and makes a tidy little profit without having to expend time and resources in doing so. I don't have a problem with that as it's no skin off my nose.

Hmmm, a few of us can remember the Panasonic or Leica rows of a few years back. And the "spot the difference" articles.

My 2d worth is that people looked at the Leica and thought they'd save a bit of cash by buying the Panasonic.

So they may well look at the watch and go to the maker because it's good enough for Leica etc, etc.

Regards, David

I wonder if the L1 & L2 will be repo'ed at some point in the China reproduction factories. Probably not, as they don't have the high-volume and cache of famous makers.

However, there is some incredible work being done repo'ing Rolex and other famous watches in China. The quality is way up there from certain factories; almost indistinguishable from the gen (genuine) - unless you open the case-back and look at the movement - and usually, in the $350-500 range for say a Submariner or Sea Dweller.

But, this isn't one of them :) (Made in Hong Kong?)

I like the "UNBREAKABLE MAINSPRING" on the watch-face.

Seller Notes:

“Vintage 17 jewel not running and missing stem crown. for repair or parts only. SWISS MOVEMENT WITH STAINLESS STEEL HONG KONG CASE. SOME SCRATCHES ON GLASS AND CASE.LOOKS LIKE CLICKSPRING MIGHT BE BROKEN ALSO. :) For restoration or parts only. Vintage watches even if running may require service or adjustment if more accuracy is desired. Please ask all questions and view all photos before buying to avoid any misunderstanding to what is being sold. Thank you.”

From the 'Bay:

s-l1600.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.1 KB ID:	4771223

Chris, based on the website, that place only sells 18 models of Rolex. I suspect those are just base models.
Because Rolex makes way more than just 18 models. I just went to rolex.com and clicked on the Mens watches and stopped counting the watches after 10 pages of them.

BTW- Rolex's generally run anywhere from $6500-$120,0000.

... based on the website, that place only sells 18 models of Rolex. I suspect those are just base models. ...
I'd rather have the Rolex stainless base model (no date) even if they were the same price. But $6,000 vs. $14,000 makes that an REALLY easy choice in my view - not that I'd pay 6 grand for a watch!

Chris, based on the website, that place only sells 18 models of Rolex. I suspect those are just base models.
Because Rolex makes way more than just 18 models. I just went to rolex.com and clicked on the Mens watches and stopped counting the watches after 10 pages of them.

BTW- Rolex's generally run anywhere from $6500-$120,0000.

Yes, I realize that a $6000 Rolex is a base model and that one can spend far more. My point is that the Leica watch is, like the base Rolexes, a stainless steel watch with no expensive features like a chronograph and it actually lacks a feature the Rolex has (automatic winding). The Rolex is a better deal if one were inclined to spend thousands of dollars on a watch.

Back