Does Anybody Really Care What Time It Is? Leica Sells Watches

Some new ones released:

They're reasonably attractive watches. But they don't especially appeal to me - mostly because I already have decent enough, reasonably attractive, reasonably good watches which sit in the spots those might fit in my watch-wearing (which has probably cost me more than it should, but not nearly as much as cameras and lenses ;)).

There was a time, as it were, when I might have seriously considered them: but I already have a watch or two which I like more, where I might consider fitting these (at considerably less expense in some cases).

...Mike

Per Highconsumption.com, prices range from $6775-8150 USD, which IIRC, is considerably less costly than prior offerings. Looks alright, but if you removed the branding, I dunno if I'd notice it amongst any number of other wristwatches.

The specifications for the watch's movement are okay, but not remarkable. The 60-hour power reserve is nice, but they really should've provided an indicator, considering the price.

I looked at the Leica watches again. They're nice, but I think I'd like an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch more if I bought another high-end watch. Anything that gives me remembrances of the Apollo program is a draw for me.

The 1960s era Omega Seamaster De Ville that I bought myself as a gift last holiday season is now by far and away the watch I enjoy and wear the most. My Longines Master Class and Lindberg Chronograph are not getting as much arm time as they ought to now, and my Praesidus A11 replica, Tom Rice edition is what I use when I'm out on the bicycle or walking.

So many wonderful obsessions to enjoy.

G

I looked at the Leica watches again. They're nice, but I think I'd like an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch more if I bought another high-end watch. Anything that gives me remembrances of the Apollo program is a draw for me.
As when buying a camera, you might enjoy the time you spend doing the research. Since the original manual-wind Speedmaster that went to the Moon (caliber 321), Omega has introduced successive Speedmasters in different calibers and even automatic wind.

All the nuances from caliber 321 to the latest are summed up nicely on this site:

In 2000, I bought this manual-wind Speedmaster, caliber 1863, with display back.

IMG_0507.jpegIMG_9954.jpeg

Nice gadget! And beautiful mechanics, especially the K2 micro-rotor calibre.
Price tag is unfortunately beyond my budget.

I’m just not into the “status” thing and never have been. Not to say I don’t appreciate nice things but there are just more important things in my life. My ex gave me a Rolex that I wore off and on for twenty some years and actually like other watches I have better. I found my $30 Timex kept just as good or better time and didn’t cost $1000 every few years to get serviced. I wound up selling it because I didn’t get into Rolex. I’m actually getting that way about owning Leicas. When I started using them for work in 68 there wasn’t the mystique surrounding them and have to admit it’s a bit of a turnoff now.

When I retired my wife gave my a Mickey Mouse watch, garden variety, commemorating 55 years of business which I felt was very appropriate. I absolutely love wearing it and it gets more attention than my Rolex, from children😁.

My all time favorite watches though are my dads 25 year watch from 1975. It’s a rather rare Bulova automatic chronograph that has a Tag movement. My second is my Bulova Accutron space view from 1967 and third my Bulova Accutron stainless I received for graduation in 1966.

They’re unusual in that they use a tuning fork at 360 cps to regulate the time and were used by the astronauts and nasa in the space craft.

Attachments

• IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: dct
Back