New RFF Under Construction - take a look

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
11:11 PM
We are building a new RFF for many needed software updates - the biggest need is dependability.

Please visit, log into the home page, there are LOTS of things to do, but its a start.

Give us your thoughts and CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions in this threads.

The weakest part at the moment is the classifieds, which is being written from scratch.

the test URL is

http://www.rangefinderimages.com/

Although you can post on the test site, those posts will be lost in the final update.

A huge thank you to George for seemingly endless hours in this upgrade.

Stephen

I find white backgrounds very difficult to read and prone to glare. Much prefer a dark gray with white lettering as the easiest on the eyes.

Looks good, Stephen. Users will adapt to the new layout with the normal grumbling but it doesn’t have the Facebook floor plan of so many sites these days.

Overall, great! There is already a dark mode, yall - it's in the bottom left corner (it looks like a muddy green-brown on my browser though). Here are a few constructive things I found to improve. FYI I am accessing on Big Sur 11.4 and Firefox 90.0.2.

-it's past time for someone to create a new vectorized logo, maybe a skilled RFFer can do it

-remove the square box around avatars on every post

-remove the facebook and twitter buttons on every post

-there is a space for a signature on posts even when they don't have a signature; also the bottom line of the signature is shorter than the top

-the forums directory splits each of the subforum lists into three columns, really I think this would be more ledgible with just one left-weighted column for each subforum list. It does already jump to one column on a smaller browser window, nice.

-this might be a stretch, but the home page should be user-customizable.

Looks fine to me.
I also prefer the dark background as a default (make the white background optional...). Facebook and Twitter buttons should be removed.
Joao

Please do something about the search functionality. When I search for a term it finds matches in _people's signatures_...

Looks fine to me.
I also prefer the dark background as a default (make the white background optional...). Facebook and Twitter buttons should be removed.
Joao

Another dark background fan here. And I agree with not wanting facebook and twitter. Too political. Let's stay independent of them.

Hmmm, I don't know about "Likes" and it worries me that popularity might be commented on. Going for the popular vote hasn't got the world into a better state...

Also; how do I get to the last post? Whatever I clicked on always took me to the first post and some had a lot of pages to click through and no way I could see to jump to the last page...

Read a few posts and tried to play by a log-in but couldn't see how. Didn't have a "Quote" or "Reply" button so wondering how.

Other than that I like it and don't like to criticise labours of love.

Regards, David

• GOOD - "Dark" background
  • REMOVE - social media links
  • NEUTRAL - "Like" button, agree with David although there are times I don't want to comment and the "Like" button is apropos
  • NEUTRAL/GOOD - takes me awhile to get used to a new look and feel (Dark Mode) but it's growing on me
  • COMMENT - Not seeing Post/View counts (if that's important)
  • QUESTION - I can see latest commented on thread from 'Forum' > 'Latest Activity', but how do you get to latest 'Post' in that thread similar to the 3-dot right-facing chevron in the current forum?

Clicking on the Galleries defaults to opening the requested page a new tab. My preference is to open the page in the same tab.

The main page doesn't have a certificate for secure log-ins (http vs https). This is the case in aspects of the current site as well. It would be great to have secure log-in featured in all log-in surfaces.

Just looked through with a quick test. Works fine.

I much prefer the default black on white text display. (It's very close to how I've had RFF configured on my system since I first logged in... And it is how all of my other text editors and most browser pages on macOS have been configured since 1984... :D)

I noticed that the ability to use shortcuts for common emoji are not working as yet. Not essential but handy for simple expressions.

I agree: remove the social media links. Waste of time. Leave in the like button ... that's handy for a simple "attaboy" response to a comment or photo. How people interpret them is up to each individual.

Yes, the "get me to the last page or post" button is missing. I got there by typing in the last page of a thread by number in the provided box, but the shortcut is handy.

Good job, looks like a nice refresh overall!

G

A simple drag and drop of photo files would be helpful to those of us who would like to post images but don't use photo hosting sites or the galleries here on RFF.

Thanks for the efforts, Stephen. I don't mind adjusting here and there to use the new format.

A simple drag and drop of photo files would be helpful to those of us who would like to post images but don't use photo hosting sites or the galleries here on RFF.

That would be a huge improvement! Occasionally, infrequent posters will link an image to a hosting site filled with ads and other junk. If we had the ability just to drop our image in when posting it would simplify the process and may lead to more image postings. I'm for dumping the Facebook and Twitter buttons. Also it's more advantageous to have the thread headings that were previous mostly hidden in the sidebar brought to the front of the home page. Quicker and easier if you're looking for a specific heading. The drop down giving a selection of dates to view is a bonus.
Any improvements that give us more time to compose a post and upload it without having to copy it and log back in to finish posting would be a big gain.

Back