zorki 4k vs leica m4

brachal, I guess the first one with the blue-shirted woman is the all Leica one, the second (woman-view from back) the all FSU one.

I have both camera brands, but I only sometimes will use the Zorki 4K as a fun camera to enjoy here and there. The Leica camera radiates first class craftmanship. It is difficult not to realize this fact.

i realize the fact that Leica "radiates first class craftmanship".
but that sometimes we are missing the point.
i didn't say that Zorki is better than Leica.but you can enjoy taking pictures with both cameras.

brachal, I guess the first one with the blue-shirted woman is the all Leica one, the second (woman-view from back) the all FSU one.

no offense but i would say that the first one is FSU RF and the second one Leica.:rolleyes:
why?just to keep this thread going on,
and i like the idea of "poor" FSU taking good pictures.;)

Well, I don't consider the second photo as not good or something less great. :cool:

Would be interesting which Leica lens it was. Second looks like J-12.

i think first is fsu, and second is leica. not because of image quality but because i think second is shot on closer range than 1m and that is minimum for fsu lenses... ;)

Last edited:
And the answer is:

Shot#1(blue shirt) -- Leica IIIf with f/2.8 Elmar
Shot#2(hairdo) --- Fed-3b with Jupiter-8

I think the Jupiter may have a slight advantage in that it is an 80's model, almost 30 years newer, and so has more modern lens coatings than the Elmar. Of course this violates several of the "rules" of FSU collecting, such as:

1. avoid 70's and 80's production since QC was worse then.
2. avoid black Jupiters, silver are much better
3. older (50s or pre '65) is better for all things FSU.

I really like both lenses.

Hmmm,

Hmmm,

Hi,

OK this is getting away from the comparison but I'd like to point out that any one who thinks Leica's don't break or need checking and overhauling is either very lucky or else keeps them in a cabinet and just dusts them now and then.

I've four film Leica's and two Fed's and two Zorkis (so four of each) and have bills to prove they all need repairs and photo's that prove they are all rubbish and equally are all brilliant. The cheapest was a Fed that cost me all of £10 and usually take better pictures than I can and the dearest (Leica) cost me four months salary (before tax) years and years ago and also takes better pictures than I can. I like them all, the lens seem interchangeable but there are so many other variations that I can't say more than that. And that applies to any comparison, even Fed against Fed or Leica against Leica.

Now, if someone would foot the bill, I'd be happy to buy a dozen secondhand Fed's a dozen secondhand Zorkis and a couple of dozen Leica's. Then I'd get them all overhauled and checked by the same man, put the same film in each and take the same pictures on each and stand over the technician when they were developed and printed. Then and only then would we know the answer for sure.

As for buying any of them again, I'd do so happily but experience tells me that the best looking (or dearest) may be rubbish inside and that it's best to allow for a complete clean and so on for each. I was lucky with the £10 FED but someone else might not be as buying secondhand is always a gamble (and people lie to get your money).

As an aside, I wonder how many people commenting on the Fed's and Zorkis bought then new; compared with the Leica's?

Regards, David

. . . any one who thinks Leica's don't break or need checking and overhauling is either very lucky or else keeps them in a cabinet and just dusts them now and then.

Dear David,

Surely no-one denies that Leicas can go wrong, but they certainly don't need much in the way of checking and overhauling if they're used regularly.

I've been using screw Leicas since about 1969, M since about 1974. One of the M2s jammed in the 1990s, and the viewfinder frames got sticky. The former was fixed; the latter wasn't, because the repairer didn't have the Leica jig for doing it. I bent the rewind on the M4-P in about 2001, straightened it with a Leatherman and have been using it ever since. The M4-P frames need a bit of exercise if I don't use the camera for a while, which can happen now I have an MP and M8. Admittedly my original IIIa is no longer serviceable (the shutter hangs up) but hell, it's 72 years old, around twice as old as when I bought it.

And when I say using, I mean using. Look at www.rogerandfrances.com for a list of books I've illustrated with Leicas; I've done many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of magazine articles; and much of the site is illustrated with Leica shots.

Incidentally, is there any way of fixing it so that I don't have to scroll left-right when someone 'stretches' the frame by posting oversize pics? As on this thread?

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
It may be helpful to think of an automobile analogy. An inexpensive car and an expensive car will both get you from A to B, and in that sense they are equal.

Dear David,

Surely no-one denies that Leicas can go wrong, but ....

Hi,

I can't argue with that and could almost re-use your post (changing '74 to '72) but my bayonet one broke (in continual use until about 10 or 15 years ago) and was fixed etc in the 80's and knowing how old oils behave I had my I/E done and I won't tempt fate by mentioning the IIIa/G. I don't know how your usage compares with mine but I hate displayed cameras and have a system that makes me use the things in rotation. Right now there's B&W film in the 1938 I/E, colour in the Z2X and then the Canon FTb and Fed 1g to be used next. All listed and on the desk to remind me.

But, on the other hand I wouldn't want anyone expecting the things to be perfect and not get them serviced from time to time and checked over thoroughly when bought secondhand and before any damage is done. Chatting to the technicians about what could happen and has (not to mine touch wood!) I'm glad I do.

And I even agree with you about scrolling over to the right...

Regards, David

Back