X-100F weird behavior! Conversion Lens Flickering

Nitroplait

Well-known
Local time
1:13 PM
My X-100f has started acting up.

Very often it begins flickering between Conversion Lens “Wide” and Conversion Lens “OFF” settings - very fast.
The camera still works but is significantly slowed down.
I can’t access the “Conversion Lens” menu when it is misbehaving or stop the behavior in any repeatable way (it seems) it just stops after a while but will return again.

I know that the later conversion v.II lenses uses a magnet to ID itself to the camera.
I don’t own these, but thought something like my iPad protector with a magnet may have caused the camera to be confused. However, keeping them apart does not help one way or the other.

The behavior comes and goes, annoyingly mostly the first :(

Any ideas

Thanks

Last edited:
That's a weird problem, and quite a puzzler! :confused: It sounds as though the camera will have to make a trip to Fuji's repair service (is it still under warranty?), because that really shouldn't happen - nor should you be expected to just 'live with' the problem. Even if it isn't under warranty, I'd be inclined to press them very hard for an F.o.C. repair.

I can't offer any directly relevant advice, since my x100 is the original version, and therefore the only way to set it for conversion lens use, is by changing the menu setting. It has no ability to detect, automatically, the presence of a conversion lens.

Good luck!

That's a weird problem, and quite a puzzler! :confused: It sounds as though the camera will have to make a trip to Fuji's repair service (is it still under warranty?), because that really shouldn't happen - nor should you be expected to just 'live with' the problem. Even if it isn't under warranty, I'd be inclined to press them very hard for an F.o.C. repair.

I can't offer any directly relevant advice, since my x100 is the original version, and therefore the only way to set it for conversion lens use, is by changing the menu setting. It has no ability to detect, automatically, the presence of a conversion lens.

Good luck!

Thanks.
Unfortunately a couple of years outside warranty by now, but I guess I will have to see what they say.
I found a small magnet today, and if I put it on the edge of the lens (1 o'clock when seen from the front) I can control the Wide Tele and OFF Conversion lens values by moving the magnet along the edge of the lens.
Unfortunately, even if I manage to set it to the OFF position (which is really difficult), it will revert to the Wide/Off flickering after half an hours usage.

If nothing else, it is now fairly clear where the issue is. Just hope it is not the logic board that needs replacing.

Unfortunately, even if I manage to set it to the OFF position (which is really difficult), it will revert to the Wide/Off flickering after half an hours usage.

Something sounds very wrong, there.

I still think I'd be leaning hard on Fuji for a free repair on what is, after all, a fairly expensive camera, which has failed after an unreasonably brief (IMO) period of time.

The camera has been with Fujifilm EU for the better part of two month now.
Their online repair status system hasn’t worked for a while and two inquires for a status or timeframe have just resulted in a Brexit/Covid excuse with no indication of how long it may take.
Anyone with recent EU Fujifilm service experience?

The camera has been with Fujifilm EU for the better part of two month now.
Their online repair status system hasn’t worked for a while and two inquires for a status or timeframe have just resulted in a Brexit/Covid excuse with no indication of how long it may take.
Anyone with recent EU Fujifilm service experience?

No, not with Fujifilm EU. However, some years ago, I had a couple of dealings with Fujifilm UK, and they were quite good at resolving the problems (once I had 'leant' on them, a little ;)).

Overall, I have found Fujifilm to be a decent company, so I think it's worth being persistent to get a good outcome. I certainly wouldn't allow the Brexit/covid argument to stand though. The difficulties of Brexit - evident in so many ways :mad: - have no bearing on the matter, if you purchased the camera (from new) prior to Brexit. If they become too obstructive, maybe a 'gentle' suggestion that you will take the matter to Trading Standards (or - if you're not in the UK - your country's equivalent) might help to get things moving. :)

No, not with Fujifilm EU. However, some years ago, I had a couple of dealings with Fujifilm UK, and they were quite good at resolving the problems (once I had 'leant' on them, a little ;)).

Overall, I have found Fujifilm to be a decent company, so I think it's worth being persistent to get a good outcome. I certainly wouldn't allow the Brexit/covid argument to stand though. The difficulties of Brexit - evident in so many ways :mad: - have no bearing on the matter, if you purchased the camera (from new) prior to Brexit. If they become too obstructive, maybe a 'gentle' suggestion that you will take the matter to Trading Standards (or - if you're not in the UK - your country's equivalent) might help to get things moving. :)

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear they behave decently.
My camera is out of warranty and the shop I bought it from has closed, so I don't have dealer support.

I did a bit of nudging again today - as I can't even see my repair job in their online ticket system and was a little worried it was forgotten somewhere.

For the first time I got an almost instant response saying that the camera is in the English customs waiting to be released on it's way into Fujifilm's hub in Kleve, Germany - from there it will be shipped to me (in Denmark) - Fujifilm Kleve will send me a UPS tracking number when they ship it off to me.

The strange thing is that I have not authorised any work, I did originally request a quote prior to repair as the repair is non-warranty - but until today was under the impression that the work hasn't even started.

I just guess I'll wait and see:confused:

Fujifilm have finally returned the camera with the main board replaced, without charging any fees.
I can't really complain as the camera was past warranty, but it is also difficult to sing their praise. I do not hope I have to deal with that part of the organisation again, that was exhausting.

Anyway - I am happy the camera is back.

Fujifilm have finally returned the camera with the main board replaced, without charging any fees.
I can't really complain as the camera was past warranty, but it is also difficult to sing their praise. I do not hope I have to deal with that part of the organisation again, that was exhausting.

Good to hear that Fujifilm 'did the right thing'.

It's a pity that it took so long, but at least the problem was eventually resolved. :)

That is excellent news. That they replaced the logic board on an out-of-warranty camera at no cost to you makes me like Fuji even more.

They are slow - about five years ago Fuji USA did a warranty repair on my 23/1.4 XF lens - it took about a month, but I’m happy with their work.

Back