Weather sealing

ped

Small brown dog
Local time
3:31 AM
Hi guys

Do you bother to ‘weather seal’ your x100v? I have a small square hood on the front and if I want to weather seal it needs an extension ring and filter, making the lens a bit longer. I don’t use filters on my RF cameras so don’t want to from that perspective but I’m also not sure I need to because I rarely use my camera in the rain/sand/dust.

Did the previous x100 models suffer from dust ingress enough for me to worry about it or should I just not bother?

I have the original X-100 and the X-100T. No problems with dust and moisture, and I currently live in a sub-tropical climate. Cheers, OtL

Good to know. I certainly haven’t read any reports of issues and it seems like the ‘sealing’ of the x100v is more of a tick box exercise

I do. I live within a short walk to the beach. Wind, salt air, sand. I use the round Hoage with the integrated adapter and clear filter.

I bought 2 and removed the filter on the second for low light shooting with artificial light. Actually didn’t need to bother. I tried night shooting with the filter on. Either the V's lens is less prone to flare or it’s a better piece of glass than my B+W MRC clears.

I consider a clear protective filter as insurance--hoping never to need it but just in case. I avoid the rain and other weather hazards. I also drive safely try to stay healthy. But I still have the occasional mishap and health problem. Car repairs and hospital stays are costly. Insurance is good. It's always in the background, there if you need it. B+W makes good filters. You'll never know one's there until you need it.

I have the original X-100 and the X-100T. No problems with dust and moisture, and I currently live in a sub-tropical climate. Cheers, OtL

My X100 (original) had some “trouble with moisture” when I dropped it in the lake a few years ago. It took a couple months in gelpaks but it returned to normal and continues to work fine today.

Good thoughts. I have the squarehood mk3 and mk5 hoods, the mk5 allows me to fit my B+W filter but the Mk3 doesn’t unless I install an extension ring which makes the lens too long.

I didnt think I used filters on my Epson but just looked and there’s a B+W on that too, so I’ve clearly not noticed it!

From my personal experience strong wind on a beach will blow sand into the mechanism of the camera and lens. Heavy rain will do the same. Under those adverse weather situations I have resorted to using a Nikonos V.

Sweethearts,

I spend several weeks in the Amazon basin (Peru mostly - Iquitos is my second favorite city in the world!). Something starts to grow on the sensor of my X100F! Then I bent the lens assembly (mugging attempt that darling husband foiled). Fuji fix everything and cleaned the sensor. Mold. Growing on sensor!!
(I can cook but my husband says "black thumb!"). Perhaps I have a future as a gardener after all!

Mme. O

Back