Voigtlander Bessa III for USA Update IN STOCK

I saw the bloody Bessa III in the shop window at Westbahnstrasse, Wien and I was surprised by its size. Isnt it huge? ... and probably heavy?

It is not exactly small in terms of a 35, but folded up it fits nicely in a smallish camera bag or a large pocket.
Weight is 1 kg (about the same as a M3 and 50DR Summicron!). The size takes a bit to get used to - but once you look at those 6x6/6x7 negatives you forget it!
The lens is one of the best optics I have ever used in a medium format camera, Very sharp (also helped by the bright rangefinder patch and the overall quality of the finder - easy to pinpoint focus). The AE system is great - only time I have had problem with it is when I tried to outsmart it!!!
Battery life seems very good - I have shot about 35 rolls with mine and so far no problem - but I do carry a spare in my bag, as once it dies - so does the camera!
Peoples reaction is funny, ranging from "Is it a Polaroid?" to the inevitable "Is it digital?". The shutter is eerily quiet - just a soft "snap" that you, the user can barely hear and with any ambient noise - nobody can hear.
There are some shots on Flickr under Bessa III and Voigtlander 667 - but I wish the users would put up more.

Tom, are you using a Soft Release with the Bessa? Does the shutter trip when the camera is folded?

I dont use a Softie on the Bessa III - though it is possible. The "trigger" on the III is so soft that it is not needed. I will try it though at some time.
Once the camera is folded up - the trigger is locked.
One reason why I haven't used the softie on the III is the accidental relase. With a 35mm camera you only loose 1/36th of a roll - with the III in 6x7 mode - you loose 1/10th of the roll!!!!

One reason why I haven't used the softie on the III is the accidental relase. With a 35mm camera you only loose 1/36th of a roll - with the III in 6x7 mode - you loose 1/10th of the roll!!!!

Good point! :)

Truth be told, I think the only accessory that would be really useful for this camera is some sort of side grip. One big engineering flaw, IMO, is that they didn't put the strap lugs on the right side (photographer's viewpoint). That way it would've been so easy to install a hand grip!

I currently have one in my possession courtesy of the Oz travelling Bessa project ... about to hand it back actually.

Where this camera has it all over any other folder you can pick up is it's ergonomics IMO! It just works ... from closed to open and ready to shoot is a second or so and although a large camera it is incredibly easy to hold and focus. The viewfinder is a match for my Ikon and the build quality is fantastic.

My hat is off to Cosina for making something this good that has a classic design with just the right amount of current technology.

This camera combined with a decent scanner has the potential to make the M9's output look average ... I wish I could afford one!

This camera combined with a decent scanner has the potential to make the M9's output look average ... I wish I could afford one!

I hear that! I saw one in here in Vancouver the other day - where it sells for just over $2300 CDN. A really good deal but more than I can spend on a camera now.
Maybe in a year or so...

I hear that! I saw one in here in Vancouver the other day - where it sells for just over $2300 CDN. A really good deal but more than I can spend on a camera now.
Maybe in a year or so...

There at least 3-4 of them here in Vancouver already! Our Flickr site has about 60 shots done with mine in the last month. Amazing piece of equipment - rekindled my interest in 120 format. It is comfortable enough to carry around - and smooth enough to use as a "street" shooting camera - though you have to reload frequently. Hmm, I wonder if Fuji is following through with the Acros 100 in 220 format?

Last edited:
just got my bessa III two weeks ago. I'm amazed! This camera took me back to the wonderful film world. I carry it 24 hours/day with me. It's great Cosina has the courage to bring out such a camera. I hope they'll get their investment paid back. cheers, mauro

It is not exactly small in terms of a 35, but folded up it fits nicely in a smallish camera bag or a large pocket.
Weight is 1 kg (about the same as a M3 and 50DR Summicron!). The size takes a bit to get used to - but once you look at those 6x6/6x7 negatives you forget it!
The lens is one of the best optics I have ever used in a medium format camera, Very sharp (also helped by the bright rangefinder patch and the overall quality of the finder - easy to pinpoint focus). The AE system is great - only time I have had problem with it is when I tried to outsmart it!!!
Battery life seems very good - I have shot about 35 rolls with mine and so far no problem - but I do carry a spare in my bag, as once it dies - so does the camera!
Peoples reaction is funny, ranging from "Is it a Polaroid?" to the inevitable "Is it digital?". The shutter is eerily quiet - just a soft "snap" that you, the user can barely hear and with any ambient noise - nobody can hear.
There are some shots on Flickr under Bessa III and Voigtlander 667 - but I wish the users would put up more.

Just picked one of these up from a forum member two nights ago. Yes, the shutter release is so quiet I was sure I wasn't snapping correctly. Beautiful camera... can't wait to see the negatives.

How have they been holding up......I was concerned about whether a folder was rugged enough for heavy use or in fact normal regular use.....If there is a thread that addresses that I apologize in advance.

Last edited:
It's not a camera for heavy use because of the folder mechanism. But for regular use and travelling camera it's ok.

Many Zeiss folders been around for over 50 years or so, they are folders with a rangefinder. I don't see it as a big deal. Maybe you got spoiled with rigid DSLRs or something :)

I have used the C.V. Bessa III 667 in Ukraine war area. It can have some misuse but when you have a drop the R.F. alignment is gone. So far I am very content with the camera. It is in use since early 2009. The Heliar F/3,5-80mm is very good and enlarging from 6x7cm negatives in color and B&W is without any limitation. When using my favorite Fuji Acros 100 roll film the result is a grainless photo up to 50x60cm which is the maximum format which I can handle, normally I printing in 40x50cm fitting very well in 6x7cm size negative. Before I used the Fuji Reala 100 in C-41 color, now switched to Pro 160 NS. Also here RA-4 enlargements without limitation. Using this R.F. camera in 6x7cm and iso 100 films is like using a 4x5" L.F. camera only much easier in use and even fast handling like my Leica M7 which is my next favorite camera. In Fomapan B&W films the FP 200 Creative is my favorite film. Also here really great results. I did a full reportage in Ukraine with this film which you can use between iso 100-400. Fortunately Foto-Syndicate in Odessa has a large supply of films if the taken supply dries up. You can also develop the films overthere if necessary in a small Jobo ATL machine. A good address to remember when you are in the Black Sea area.

Mine is the fuji Version. I called fuji NJ when I got it and asked about service since the camera is now discontinued.
They did not know how long they would service it but said I should not expect any problems.

Robert, these things are pretty nicely made. I can't imagine there should be any concern of using it for a primary camera.
The fold mechanism is robust and very cleanly made. No binding trusses like some old folders. It's quite a machine.
RF's need adjusting it's true. I just don't see how this one is especially fragile.

Back