Thoughts on the Plaubel Makina 67

Neither is a camera for throwing over the shoulder for an afternoon, notwithstanding the 90gm difference. A bag becomes compulsory. The more robust film advance mechanism, improved meter harness and sturdier camera strap lugs may be worth the differential to some. But if that clean look of the 67 speaks to you above all, go for it but be gentle and deliberate advancing the frame. It isn’t a mechanism built for the ages like, say, a Nikon F3.

Every time mention of the Plaubel Makina 6x7 comes up, I feel the twinge of "I'd really like one of those!" again. But the prices they command in good shape are pretty far over the top for how much use I'd likely get out of them. ... sigh.

For the moment, I'll remain happy with my Voigtländer Perkeo II folder...

G

Well, a friend let me have his that had a failed film advance mechanism, hazy viewfinder and spotty metering, for a song. Had it repaired and now works fine. Because it has simple film loading like any 35mm camera and unlike a Hassy or Rollei 600x, I have used it more than expected and the results are really special, thanks to its bespoke Nikkor. The collapsed profile also makes it easier to transport

Last edited:
For what I could find, the 670 weights 1.417kg. At some point I looked into the 670 when I already owned the 67. I hold the 670 in store and difference was pretty noticeable.

Just received my Makina 670 from Japan today. What a brick! And I mean that in a very positive sense.
Though I have studied the user manual and understand that the shutter will be blocked until the film counter has been advanced to 1 which requires a film to be inserted, I saw in those ebay videos for some of the offers that they fired the shutter without a film inserted, with the back being open.
Does anyone know a trick how to accomplish that?
Reason for my question: I would like to record the shutter sound and check the duration of the exposure. Down to 1/60 sec this is very well visible in the recorded audio track. And I don't want to waste a film or part of it for that purpose. If there is no such trick without abusing the camera badly, I will of course waste a film, or just actually expose it with proper subject and just look at whether the exposures seem right after developing the film.

Thanks,
Erik

Lots of thoughts, but since I lack the funds for one...well those thoughts are simply that, thoughts and lack experience and facts, so gonna keep em to myself.

Neither is a camera for throwing over the shoulder for an afternoon, notwithstanding the 90gm difference. A bag becomes compulsory. The more robust film advance mechanism, improved meter harness and sturdier camera strap lugs may be worth the differential to some. But if that clean look of the 67 speaks to you above all, go for it but be gentle and deliberate advancing the frame. It isn’t a mechanism built for the ages like, say, a Nikon F3.
F.H. I've often carried a Plaubel 67/670 over the shoulder in the closed position. A couple of rolls of film in a pocket.... no bag. It is far more svelte in that configuration than any other medium format i've owned. Stays out of the way under the arm better than a Rolleiflex or any Pentax 67 or 645.

As I was about to inquire if the Fuji GF670 would be a good alternative camera to the Plaubel I checked the Fuji USED camera prices. Yikes!
OK, theoretically (or not, depending on your camera budget) GF670 vs Plaubel, which one is your pick?

As I was about to inquire if the Fuji GF670 would be a good alternative camera to the Plaubel I checked the Fuji USED camera prices. Yikes!
OK, theoretically (or not, depending on your camera budget) GF670 vs Plaubel, which one is your pick?
Plaubel.....I've had 3....never any issues. The folding mechanism on the GF670.....has had problems.

Awkward handling aside (changing the thin ISO ring without much of a grip is a challenge, plus when the lens is extended the Makina 67 is a bit cumbersome to hold), its a fantastic performer. The lens is stellar, and the meter is excellent. I read somewhere about having the focus on infinity while opening/closing the lens a while back too, and stick to that. I may have been guilty of letting the bellows close and open by tilting the camera a few times, I guess I should be careful about that too. Plus is once you close the lens, its form factor is very conducive to travel.
Yes, you're right about setting the focus to infinity prior to closing -- Frank Marshman mentioned that to me when I bought my Plaubel from him. I've never had cause to regret following his advice.

F.H. I've often carried a Plaubel 67/670 over the shoulder in the closed position. A couple of rolls of film in a pocket.... no bag. It is far more svelte in that configuration than any other medium format i've owned. Stays out of the way under the arm better than a Rolleiflex or any Pentax 67 or 645.

You are a man of stouter shoulders.

Plaubel.....I've had 3....never any issues. The folding mechanism on the GF670.....has had problems.

Spoke to one of the used-gearheads at Adorama who also warned me of the GF670 mechanism. More fragile than the robust "lazy tongs" and more likely to result in the lens coming out of parallel to the film plane.

Spoke to one of the used-gearheads at Adorama who also warned me of the GF670 mechanism. More fragile than the robust "lazy tongs" and more likely to result in the lens coming out of parallel to the film plane.
A friend, who makes a point to check out his equipment. i.e. lenses against a chart.... bought one.... then sent it to Fuji in NJ (?)....and it came back unfixed twice... he sold it.

Just received my Makina 670 from Japan today. What a brick! And I mean that in a very positive sense.
Though I have studied the user manual and understand that the shutter will be blocked until the film counter has been advanced to 1 which requires a film to be inserted, I saw in those ebay videos for some of the offers that they fired the shutter without a film inserted, with the back being open.
Does anyone know a trick how to accomplish that?
Reason for my question: I would like to record the shutter sound and check the duration of the exposure. Down to 1/60 sec this is very well visible in the recorded audio track. And I don't want to waste a film or part of it for that purpose. If there is no such trick without abusing the camera badly, I will of course waste a film, or just actually expose it with proper subject and just look at whether the exposures seem right after developing the film.

Thanks,
Erik
What about a picture of your acquisition? Of course in both meanings!

Oh-oh.
Definitely don't want unintended front standard swing and tilt!

By the way: This was the same video showing an alleged Makina 670 being wound with one stroke. Mysterious…

Have you shot and developed a roll to confirm all is well with the film advance mechanism, frame spacing and light seal integrity?

Since it's an electronic camera, i'd also be concerned about the GF670 becoming a very expensive paperweight.
I have a perhaps unhealthy leaning towards mechanical cameras that can be repaired.....

Last edited:
Back