Sony A7rIII -always over-exposes?

Darinwc

Established
Local time
3:07 AM
I have a Sony A7r-III. It always seems to over-expose. I normally have to set the camera to -0.7 exposure compensation to get a decent exposure.
Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any solutions beside leaving the compensation dial permanently at -.7?

I noticed recently that pointing my A7ll and then Nikon D4 at the same scene with the same focal lengths, shutter speed, ISO and aperture the Sony image looked slightly over exposesd compared to the D4. That mystifies me a little?

I have a Sony A7r-III. It always seems to over-expose. I normally have to set the camera to -0.7 exposure compensation to get a decent exposure.
At zero compensation, are your histograms showing too much exposure - too much exposure to the right?

I am wondering whether what you're observing is actual overexposure or more of a subjective preference.

Do you have a second camera to match settings and compare results with?

I more or less concur . I standard have to set my A7Riii to -0.3 exposure compensation.
BTW the same with my RX1-m2.
switched to Oly were I don't have to compensate as a default . . . .

My Olympus cameras (Pen-F and OM-D E-M1 mk II) consistently overexpose if I use them on Autoexposure mode. Strangely, they underexpose a little if I use them on manual with a handheld incident meter (the same meter's readings are accurate with a Nikon DSLR I have, and with film).

Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any solutions beside leaving the compensation dial permanently at -.7?

What metering mode are you using?

I'm using 'multi' for the auto exposure mode. Maybe I should try 'highlight'?

On my Sony A7III I’m set on “Multi” and that always seemed to be fine.

However, this August the sun has been glaringly bright during the day and anything in my composition that is white in color is way overexposed. Dark things then become very dark, shadows everywhere, clouds in the sky washed out; it’s been a real challenge. I’ve been using the exposure compensation dial to underexpose.

I’m thinking of trying Spot Metering with the metering point set to coordinate with the focus area point [Focus Area] set to [Flexible Spot]
Of course, that's probably a bad idea, but that's what I'm thinking of trying.

The real bottom line is that I’ll be glad when the month of August is in my rear view mirror.

All the best,
Mike

I'm using 'multi' for the auto exposure mode. Maybe I should try 'highlight'?

It’s worth trying all the metering modes to see what works best w/your shooting style/subjects. Another factor is Auto ISO if you’re using that; it’s another thing considered by the camera algorithm(s). I default to multi & Auto ISO, but I also have no problem leaving AE compensation at -0.7 or -1, setting ISO manually or limiting the range of Auto ISO, or shooting everything manually.

I guess I've never really paid much attention to what my ARiii gives me. My wife does complain some of my quilt pics look under exposed to her color wise when I give her the pics to make prints for her scrap book.

Just in case. I have noticed it with another bodies while I was using all manual lenses and not in Av mode.

Back