So....this is the Frank-Six

jwc57

Well-known
Local time
6:33 PM
Over a year ago I asked about a manual for a Frank-Six that someone gave me and was asked for photos of it. Well, in the mean time, I switched departments at work, became a grandfather, then Covid hit, and now I'm home recovering from Covid pneumonia. But, I managed to take a couple of photos of the Frank this morning. I unfortunately cannot remember how to attach them to this thread, so you should see the images in the gallery. I think the issue at that time a year ago was if this is one of only a couple of known examples of this particular model.

The requested photos were to help identify the model.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/showphoto.php?photoid=301718

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/showphoto.php?photoid=301717

Attachments

• IMGP7367-frank-web-2.jpg
    IMGP7367-frank-web-2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 9
And if someone does know where I can get a manual I'd really appreciate it. The camera is in really great shape except for the covering. But it is either jammed or I don't know the proper sequence to cock the shutter.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery! Just acquired this Rolfix 1 which carries a "Franke" label and looks like a cousin of yours.

Mine is scale focus, and viewfinder is horrible. I'll use an accessory finder in the camera shoe.

201229-Rolfix1-Camera-IMG_8127.jpg

I couldn't tell you how to fix either possible problem, probably not even if I saw it. But you might try to see it the last photo was taken with a self timer. Or check the linkage from the release button to the shutter release. Often that is by wires to levers to other wires until it gets to a connection to the shutter release. I really doubt either one is the problem, but you might check if you haven't already done so.

I'll recheck. I've tried several things when I first got it, but that was so long ago I can not recall what I tried. I do remember wanting to be careful that I didn't damage it further.

I really wanted a MF folder, that worked. The conversation last year about my camera is that it is only the second one found. If that is the case, I'd be hesitant to take it for outings.

No one could tell without photos, but it is suspected to be a Frank-Six Model V. The lens is a Tosei 80mm 3.5.

This is the description someone provided--if I remember correctly:

From Camera Wiki.org

The Frank Six V
The Frank Six V is a rangefinder model, with a completely different top housing. The main body is similar to the Frank Six IV. The range- and viewfinder are combined in a single eyepiece, offset to the right as seen by the photographer. The rangefinder is certainly uncoupled but the position of the setting wheel is unknown. There is a sliding button at the front of the top housing, certainly moving a mask for 4.5×6cm pictures in and out of the finder frame. The shutter release and folding bed release are the same as on the model IV. The advance knob is the same too, except for the shape of the arrow. There is a film reminder at the right end of the top plate. The accessory shoe is in the middle, above the round rangefinder window. The lens standard is black with a white logo.

The name Frank–Six V.R (with an "R" surely for Rangefinder) is engraved above the viewfinder, together with the serial number and the company name TOSEI.KOKI CO, LTD. The T.K logo is also engraved in front of the accessory shoe.

Only one actual example has been observed so far. The shutter is certainly a TKS with a PC synch post, and the lens is a Tosei Anastigmat 80mm f/3.5. It has depth-of-field indications on a black background around the lens.

The Frank Six V was offered for ¥9,800 in the advertisements dated January and April 1954 cited above, with Tosei 80/3.5 lens and TKS shutter.[35]

I'll recheck. I've tried several things when I first got it, but that was so long ago I can not recall what I tried. I do remember wanting to be careful that I didn't damage it further.

I really wanted a MF folder, that worked. The conversation last year about my camera is that it is only the second one found. If that is the case, I'd be hesitant to take it for outings.

No one could tell without photos, but it is suspected to be a Frank-Six Model V. The lens is a Tosei 80mm 3.5.

Is it a RF folder you are intent upon, or any good MF folder? There are many of them at good prices. The trick as you may well know is getting one in good nick. If you are looking for RF then there are lots of those too. The Mamiya Six is a good one but I think they are getting harder to get good copies of.

Good luck either way.

Honestly.....I wanted one, and still would love to add one to my collection of cameras, but I have so many cameras it wouldn't get used as it should. I want all my cameras to be like vintage cars---I want to take them out for a ride sometimes and enjoy them, even if it is only one or two times per year.

This one was perfect---a MF folder that was free.

Also----

The field case for the camera (seen in the photo) is extremely dry. What do you guys do with old field cases to address the issue so the case can continue to be used as intended.

This was my post under my original name before the forum change over.

I've concluded that everything is actually working on this Frank Six V, but the aperture blades are stuck. I'm really hesitant about trying to repair them myself. This could be a great camera and would appreciate any ideas on how to free aperture blades.

Also, what should I do about my photos under my old user name?

Back