Removing the M mount on a Super Angulon F4

Beemermark

Mentor
Local time
4:28 PM
I have a Super Angulon F4 I purchased to use on my LTM bodies. I can't figure out where the grub screw is that holds on the M adapter. Thought I knew but when I loosened the one on the barrel the M adapter won't budge. Can someone take a picture and post it. TIA.

I do not know about the details for this exact lens, but on my L/M Summicron 35/2 v1 the grub screw is indeed what holds the M portion of the mount.

In my case when I first removed it the M mount adapter/piece was exceptionally tight.
I needed rubber stoppers to remove it. I gave the threads a good clean with cotton buds and naphtha and now it's a lot easier to dis- and re-assemble.

Be careful though - my L/M adapter piece had a shim inside. It's very thin. It is not needed for use on LTM as both RF and lens focus are in perfect agreement on my l-mount cameras, but make sure to not lose or maim it.

I've had the 35mm Summicron LTM/M and the grub screw was located on the side of the mount, not the rear of the lens if that makes sense (ie; still visible when the lens is mounted on a camera.) Can't speak to the Super Angluon in particular.

It’s a very tiny screw on the side of the mount. When I say tiny, I mean tiny. Something like 1.5mm. I had to buy a screwdriver just to take it off. There was no shim underneath.

Belatedly here's a picture, the screwdriver I am pointing at it has just the right size. Flathead 1.2mil blade. I am not sure what that would be in imperial.

And yes, it makes sense that the shim would not be present for all lenses depending on tolerances.

IMG_8769.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. That was the only grub screw I could find but I'm dumb as to why that held the M adapter in place. I had managed to loosen it but couldn't remove the adapter so I thought no way is that it. So next question - should I remove it all the way (and it will be lost forever), turn it a few more turns, remove it and throw it away?

Beemermark, that grub screw is the tiniest thing in the world, and you have to pretty much fully remove it in order to disengage the M adapter. I screwed the grub screw back into the M adapter afterwards, so I wouldn't lose it.

I know you're not being entirely serious, but just in case here's what I do - I undo the screw fully because I have had too many cases of a not-screwed-out-enough screw getting mangled and then getting partially ground into the threads. And if that happens - well now your really having capital P problems...

So what I do is remove the screw fully, undo the adapter, screw the screw back in then put both (and in my case the shim) in a appropriately labelled small Ziploc. This way even if the screw decides to go on its own little adventure it is not gonna be able to go far.

It is likely insurance that in the act of mounting and removing the lens on the camera (which involves a twisting motion) you don't end up unscrewing the lens a fraction of a turn and end up with potentially unsharp photos.

It is likely insurance that in the act of mounting and removing the lens on the camera (which involves a twisting motion) you don't end up unscrewing the lens a fraction of a turn and end up with potentially unsharp photos.
Well I've (like thousands of other Leica users) have never had an issue with the M adapter coming loose on an LTM lens. I think the only reason for the grub screw was Leica wanted to show a new 21mm lens that would only fit on their new M3.

Back