Recommend me a reliable 120 folder with a BAD lens!

If what you get is too good, you could always screw the lens apart a bit, reverse an element or some such..So I'd look for the features you want in the body. I expect some difficulty getting focus right for large prints with a guess focus folder, wide open. I'd think a tlr should be easier.
If one of your too good cameras has a focal plan shutter and ideally bellows, you can adapt any old lens to that!

"Fiddly" is a matter of perspective! I'd say a Lubitel is no more fiddly than the Nettar, and the only real issue with regards to UX is the aforementioned tiny ground glass spot for focusing. You get used to it fast enough, though.

It might be worth tracking down an external rangefinder if you're going to stick with the Nettar; if it's marked in meters, a BLIK used to be a very cheap option in that regard. If it's marked in feet, I'm not sure what the cheapest/best option would be. You could always convert the reading from the BLIK to feet if you can multiply things by 3.3 in your head...
Thanks - yes was just thinking about that, will wait and make sure I like the camera before spending any more but that seems like a good option - I was also wondering if a basic laser tape measure for £20 would work as an alternative, and I will probably have a Fuji digi with me most of the time so can always use the distance reading from that. If I like what the camera does I'll spring for a nice vintage clip on!

So many options! This is quite a learning curve but the Nettar seems like a decent jumping off point, and this is a lot cheaper and more fun than some of the gear rabbit holes I've been down! Thanks again all.

Nettars are sharp. Or just blurry because wrong alignment. In fact even older folder from thirties are sharp if aligned or just OOF.
Same for Lubitel.

I really don't know what the issue with Holga is. It is perfect match, prints included.

Box cameras might do the same. But I'm not sure.
120 format Brownie contact print.

same

Thanks guys - yes I think a “real” camera is the way forward and “artsy” is what I’m after! There’s a Lubitel 166b with a UK dealer for £132 which may be worth a punt. Will take a look at Flickr as well.

Любитель is great example of classic FSU camera. Even by getting sparkly new looking one, chances to have брак are next to guaranteed. Just get Holga with glass lens.

I have a Zeiss Nettar 515/16 (6x6 cm format). The lens is sharp at smaller apertures f/11, f/16 etc. Soft when wide open.

Last edited:
"Fiddly" is a matter of perspective! I'd say a Lubitel is no more fiddly than the Nettar, and the only real issue with regards to UX is the aforementioned tiny ground glass spot for focusing. You get used to it fast enough, though.

It might be worth tracking down an external rangefinder if you're going to stick with the Nettar; if it's marked in meters, a BLIK used to be a very cheap option in that regard. If it's marked in feet, I'm not sure what the cheapest/best option would be. You could always convert the reading from the BLIK to feet if you can multiply things by 3.3 in your head...

Любитель has original focusing glass idea from Viogtlander, I forgot how it was called. Brilliant? This is not something good to focus by. But Lubitel-2 lens has neat marks for scale focusing.

Lubitel-2 after as usual for FSU lenses re-alignment:

БЛИК might bring more confusion than good results. Viogtlander also made BLIK like external rangefinders and they were not very expensive.

How about the Kodak Tourist or Tourist II? I have a 620 version of the Tourist (there's 120 versions out there too) that fits your desired characteristics. They should be relatively easy to find.

So the Nettar just arrived - it looks and smells as if it’s been in storage for quite a while and comes complete with a metal spool and original manual but the seller has serviced it and all seems to be in working order. Amazed how small and light it is!

Test shots to follow - glad I waited to buy a rangefinder as the scale is in feet not meters…

IMG_8195.jpegIMG_8196.jpeg

Also a very detailed handwritten note inside the exposure table that came with it explaining that the distances on the focus scale don’t correspond to reality 😢. I see a few test rolls in my future…. The handwriting reminds me of my grandmother’s thoughIMG_8198.jpeg

Back