Peak Design 3L sling

keytarjunkie

no longer addicted
Local time
12:09 PM
I just got this excellent new bag as a gift. It's very similar in size to my old Domke F-5XB, but so superior in every way.

49275149606_8572bfc903_b.jpg

The outside of the bag is very minimal. There is a hidden front pocket which you can hold flat things in. The material is excellent. The bottom of the bag sits flat on the ground without tilting forward or backward. The strap is very comfortable, adjustable, and the extra material can be tucked into the bag. The top zipper has been redesigned from the first version of the sling bags, and travels in a straight motion instead of up, in, across, out, and down. It feels weather-resistant, but I will test this out soon.

49275149646_726a1a0b47_b.jpg

There is a buffer inside of the zipper, which prevents your stuff from getting scratched up on the metal (something you can't avoid on the Domke bag, for example). When the bag is pulled open, the webbing on the sides prevents anything from falling out and creates some flexibility. The included divider changes shape a bit as you pull the bag open. It also has a shelf that can fold down, which makes it very adaptable. The padding in the main area feels really solid. There is a zipper pouch on the top of the inside where you can stash some film.

When the bag is zipped up, it feels very secure. Nothing is jostling around. As you can see, it can fit two normal-sized 35mm cameras with lenses attached. A small SLR prism or mirrorless A7/XT viewfinder bump is fine. A camera like the D800 would be hard to fit with a lens attached. A rangefinder kit is perfect, but maybe you'll need one more divider.

One more photo. It can fit, for instance, a Nikon F with lens attached and another lens or two. Sorry for the bad photos.

49275354392_b848d14008_b.jpg

i love new bags...peak has certainly made a great reputation for themselves but that only makes choosing a new bag that much more difficult...i made myself a promise to stick to only domke but that hasn't stopped me from owning a tenba or 2...or an ona...
i just gave one of my bags away so i'm now down to 12!
after using your new bag for a bit let us know what you think of it.

I have used the first generation Peak Sling for a few years, finding that it has stood up to extensive wear well; nothing has broken and the covering material has proved to be ‘bomb proof’.

I love the way one can slide the bag from across your back to your front, so that the lid opens toward you, making access a doddle. For an airline cabin size bag it holds a surprising amount, especially the front pocket, and everything is secure.

Downside is that the zip let in copious amounts of water in steady rain - I hope this has been addressed in the new model.

All in all a great, high quality, superbly made bag.

Back