Mamiya 7 build quality

Not sure what you’ve heard, but if you already own a Mamiya 6, you’ll find it is essentially the same camera with a rigid lens mount and a little wider frame.

Edit: I should add the only problems you’ll get with the Mamiya 6 or 7 are around the advance mechanism, with the 7 having an improved one (I think the 6MF is also more reliable than the 6, but don’t remember). The light curtain switch can also break. The grease in the lenses may shift, making focusing hard or moving to the aperture blades. All of these problems are rare and can be easily fixed today, as far as I know. Electrical failure is also rare but may be a more difficult problem to solve, especially if parts run out. All of this said, the Mamiya 7 is one of the most reliable cameras I have ever used, it gave me no problems in the 8 years I had it. Other cameras like the Makina 67 are far less reliable long-term (but don’t rely on electronics to work).

I used a Mamiya 7 for a few years. They are quite well made... provided you baby them. They seem to be made with this taken as a given! A lot of plastic and the wind on mechanism that sounds cheap- but I never had a problem. Never had a problem with the rangefinder. I used the 80mm exclusively. Quite a large camera but light and comfortable; excellent ergonomics. One of my favorites. Wish I still had it so I could sell it now!

My Mamiya 7, bought used in 2004. has never needed any servicing. Not even VF alignment. It has not been babied but well used.

Some tend to equate weight with build quality. By their metric, an anvil is the epitome of build quality while modern day spacecraft is the worst.

I concur with Bob , this endless crap about plastic build , they're built around
a metal frame and for the years I had mine worked flawlessly . And absolutely
nothing can make a better more detailed negative . They have become exceedingly expensive of late . Peter

I too have had a Mamiya 7 for years with 3 lenses that get changed regularly. No problems at all and this has been a travel camera so not pampered.
On the use of plastics, you might know that Hoechst, the German chemical manufaturer, makes clutch plates for Mercedes from ABS plastic. It is very strong , chemical and heat resistant. Leica uses the same material for mechanical stages on microscopes.
There are plastics and plastics. Not all are equal and some get a bad rap.
Cheers
Philip

Compared to the 6, the meter is narrower, which I prefer. On wide angle lenses like the 43mm it’s almost like a spot meter, with the 80mm it’s center weighted, and with the 150 I think it covers most of the scene. The meter area is always the same, no matter what lens you use. The AEL function makes it very easy to choose your grey area and recompose to focus and shoot.

I had a Mamiya 7 a year after they came out, I then got a Mkii in the noughts. Range finder went out but had been in baggage on holiday. 2nd time it went out I fixed it myself. I still have the Mkii so have had these camera fo5 ~25 years. You need to get used to the meter and the way it reads. No other problems. The only low piont with the 7 is the molding marks on the body which might make it look cheap. IMHI they are very reliable.

Used a M7ll for almost 9 years.
It was my primary (and, at times, only) camera on excursions all over Europe and North America.

Never a bit of trouble.

Excellent camera, wonderful lenses (50-80-150)
In signature you see my traveling companion w/ the 50...btw, I agree, the finder for fifty is fine but not absolutely necessary

I have used one. I didn't think the body had any problems, but there is a problem with the 60mm lens. All the lenses have a part in them that can break. I can't remember what it's called, but it's sort of a tape or linkage. It's not much a of a problem with most of the lenses, but the 60mm tends to break on account of this part. I know, because the 60mm I bought came already pre-broken.

Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but if using only one lens, it probably shouldn't be a 60mm.

Two things I liked best about the Mamiya 7 II: The viewfinder, and the results!

Two things I didn't Like: The shutter button is too touchy. It made me waste film. It uses batteries that are harder to get, and they are expensive. Not always too hard to get, but harder.

I have two Mamiya 7 cameras. Both bought used. Both perform well and are a pleasure to use. I have the 80mm lens mounted on one and a 50 on the other. Both are very sharp. Considering their size, I think the cameras are lightweight and easy to carry. If there were more metal in the camera build, they may not be so easy to carry and use without a tripod. The meter is very accurate if you keep in mind that is it center-weighted. I use the rangefinder spot to meter the scene and adjust accordingly. Exposures turn out great using this method. If you are a fan of rangefinders and medium format, you will probably enjoy this camera very much. I had a Mamiya 6 and liked it almost as much. I tended to crop square format images and realized that I see in the 6x7 format more than 6x6.

thanks for the messages guys. The one I am thinking of buying comes with a 65mm lens. Anybody else found problems with these lenses?

Mccurleyphoto: That is exactly my current problem. I love the mamiya 6 as a camera, but not sold on the 6x6 format. I find it restrictive.

i have a 6 but not a 7. It has been a very reliable camera. I did have to replace the winding mechanism 2 years ago. that's not bad considering its over 30 years old. doesn't sound like a cheap made camera to me. yeh it has some plastic, but it feels very solid. just take care of it, dont abuse it and it should give you many thousands of great rolls.

Bought my Mamiya 7 II used two years ago. So far, no problems whatsoever. The lenses are real gems — all of them. The N 65 mm L is my favourite ... by the way, you can use 55 mm slim-line filters on it via 58>55-mm reduction ring with no vignetting.

I've had 2. I sold my original 7 a few years back to buy a Fuji GFX. Got tired of trying to emulate Portra and sold the Fuji and bought a 7II and an 80mm and it's basically all I use now.

Love it. No problems with either. Had a 6 a few years before that and again, no issues.

I've had a Mamiya 7 for several years now. I used to travel about once a month somewhere in the world and would usually take it with if possible in a lightly padded shoulder bag. This past summer I instead hiked/backpacked with it pretty much every weekend. I have put hundreds of rolls through it and never had any show-stopping problems and the plastic parts have held up really well.

When I received it the rangefinder was out of whack - sent it for service and was good for about 3 years when I think I may have whacked the bag it was in while disembarking an airplane and it needed a minor adjustment. I did have the little tab on the curtain winding mechanism (7II style but installed in an original 7) crack which made it harder (but still doable) to close the curtain for changing lenses; I was able to get this replaced and it is now as new.

I have the 43, 65 and 150mm lenses and probably use the 65mm 50-75% of the time and have not had a problem with it yet. All are spectacular as often noted.

If there is a weak point, it may be the lens hoods. I have cracked the one each for my 65mm and 43mm. There is a thin portion on the bayonet portion along the window and if the hood is bonked the wrong way it may break.

With the meter, when I got the camera I found it useful to point it at a somewhat distant bright light and 'scan' across the field of view to figure out where the meter was looking (spikes on the light, back down in the dark). I found for mine it's a region just below the rangefinder patch and a bit bigger than the rangefinder patch. After this it's easy to know what it's thinking - either setting a shutter speed and watching the recommended speed go up and down while metering around or using AEL to lock on the area you want in the middle of the exposure and then re-composing. I find this to be fairly quick and precise handheld; bit fiddly on a tripod as I inevitably compose, then want to meter and have to move it around, then have to recompose. I bought a handheld meter to bypass this when I know I'm going to be working on a tripod.

Probably my favorite camera for travel, just wish it could do macro.

-AnalogAngler

I echo Analogangler’s method of metering. I have the 6 and have found the meter is overly sensitive to sky highlights. I generally point the camera down a bit, lock the reading and shoot. I have taken it on many hiking trips (pre Covid of course) with excellent results.

thanks for the messages guys. The one I am thinking of buying comes with a 65mm lens. Anybody else found problems with these lenses?

I didn't know there was a 65mm lens. Are you sure it isn't a 60mm? If so, see my comments above. The 60 can be a problem.

Edit: I blew it. Is is a 65mm I was thinking of. Sorry.

Back