M-Mount Cameras NOT Made by Leica: Taking the M concept further

No myth. A member of the Konica Board of Directors arranged to have my Hexar RF brought into Leica M specs by the Konica factory. Some are fine, some are not. Some specs on a particular camera or KM lens add up to out of tolerance, others do not. In or out of tolerance, its a matter of random luck, or not.

What was done to correct it, a replacement mount? Or did they not go into that level of detail?

Which lenses are your favorite? I'm strongly considering the Nokton 40/1.4, I think that'd be a nice one (slower film and 1/2000 sec shutter open up more thin DoF options).

I have many favorite lenses. I prefer the 50mm focal length over the 40mm focal length, but I have three excellent lenses that are around 40mm.
1. Summicron-C 40/2
2. Rollei 40/2.8
3. Pentax 43/1.9

What was done to correct it, a replacement mount? Or did they not go into that level of detail?

the back focus was wrong. showed up most often as focusing errors on super wides - 21 and wider.

no reason to replace the mount. the prob was tolerances, ie how the individual parts work together. The parts / shims were adjusted and or replaced as necessary (not sure of details) and it was fixed.

I have many favorite lenses. I prefer the 50mm focal length over the 40mm focal length, but I have three excellent lenses that are around 40mm.
1. Summicron-C 40/2
2. Rollei 40/2.8
3. Pentax 43/1.9

I just learned about the existence of the Pentax 43 rangefinder lens, that seems like it would be a very nice lens indeed.

So does anyone know the serial number ranges of the Hexar RF that were "off"? I've almost never used any lenses other than M-Hexanons on mine, so it's not an issue for me.

If as the Head Bartender says, this only manifests itself on super wide lenses, then this is a pretty minor issue, I think.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but the easy fix was in the recollimation of the lenses. If you take the mount off the 50mm Hex there is a glued down ring that can be easily rotated to correct the backfocus if you have a collimator. The M Hex lenses are actually very easy to adjust if you have the tools. They were designed that way.

the back focus was wrong. showed up most often as focusing errors on super wides - 21 and wider.

no reason to replace the mount. the prob was tolerances, ie how the individual parts work together. The parts / shims were adjusted and or replaced as necessary (not sure of details) and it was fixed.

Interesting. Focusing error on superwides?? Seems like this would be the least likely scenario.

There are internet threads that still exist that were concurrent with the Hexar RF release that show all sorts of user experiences, both pro and con with regards to focus. Like most such threads, there is no way to reach any conclusion one way or another as to the true cause. :)

None of the 4 or 5 I've owned had focus issues with any lenses, Hexanon or otherwise.

Interesting. Focusing error on superwides?? Seems like this would be the least likely scenario.

Optically any lens that has a pile of depth-of-field in front has less tolerance back. The back tolerances for ultrawides are extremely tight; for long lenses they are lesser.

There are internet threads that still exist that were concurrent with the Hexar RF release that show all sorts of user experiences, both pro and con with regards to focus. Like most such threads, there is no way to reach any conclusion one way or another as to the true cause. :)

None of the 4 or 5 I've owned had focus issues with any lenses, Hexanon or otherwise.

In the shop where I worked we got 5 Hexar RFs from the first shipment to Australia and they were all over the place. Working out focus problems is much less painful with digital. But it was and still is a beautiful camera.

Marty

Which lenses are your favorite? I'm strongly considering the Nokton 40/1.4, I think that'd be a nice one (slower film and 1/2000 sec shutter open up more thin DoF options).

I absolutely love my 40/1.4. I use mine on my Bessas, CLE and Sony A7.

They are probably one of the best M mount lens values out there. While the Nokton 35/1.4 are hard to find for anything less than $450...you can find the Nokton 40/1.4 for $250 relatively easily.

I absolutely love my 40/1.4. I use mine on my Bessas, CLE and Sony A7.

They are probably one of the best M mount lens values out there. While the Nokton 35/1.4 are hard to find for anything less than $450...you can find the Nokton 40/1.4 for $250 relatively easily.

How do you handle framelines? I'm tempted to just stick with the Voigt 35mm finder and imagine tighter lines.

How do you handle framelines? I'm tempted to just stick with the Voigt 35mm finder and imagine tighter lines.

35mm framelines work just fine! If I was hellbent on frame accuracy I wouldn't be using rangefinders. :)

Not sure which model Bessa
zenza has, but the R2A, R2M, R3A, and R3M all have native 40mm framelines. Same with the CLE.

I have an R2, R4A, and R4M. The only Bessas that have 40mm framelines are the R3A and R3M.

Back