Light Panel Recommendation

Bobonli

Established
Local time
12:09 AM
Please suggest an LED light panel to be used as a light box to look at negatives and slides. There are dozens on Amazon by brands that don't sound familiar and, as such, I'm not sure I'd be getting something suitable for what I want to do, versus a dimly lit box for tracing art projects. I'd like one with adjustable color temp, A4. USB -C would be nice but not essential

I tried Google searching and the results were all advert-orials; for example, "Best Light Panels of 2023." Useless. I'm a serious amateur, so I don't need a $500 device that a production studio would use.

Thank you.

I have a Logan Electric A7A (4X5 inch dimensions) that I'm happy with. They go for $60.00 at B&H, with the AC adapter extra. I strongly recommend an AC power source, for the sake of consistency. Now, this unit does not have adjustable color temp, but I don't feel the need for that. What I do need is consistently balanced daylight color temp for evaluating color transparencies. Look around on the B&H site; there are lots of products under $100.00. And I mention B&H only because I shop there, mostly. Adorama or others probably have similar selections and prices.

Just Normlich sold by B&H has been a standard in the photo industry along with Macbeth for decades. I think it’s X-rite Macbeth now but not sure of where to get them or price.

B&H has a smaller model at $375 which is a bargain. It’s 5000K and they’re very even and consistent illumination. I bought one probably 40 years ago because I did a lot of critical color ( transparencies) for clients and had to match the color my clients were seeing in their color viewing booth. 40 years later I still use it and have never had a problem with it. I assume they still use high CRI fluorescent tubes but they may be using LED’s.

I’m not sure why you’d want a variable color temp as 5000K is the standard but then if you’re not evaluating color then even illumination and standard intensity are what’s important.

Sinar sold the Just Normlich under their name for years as well. You can probably find a used one on eBay and replace the bulbs. Checkout Macbeth as well if you’re looking for used.

Back