LargeSense LS911 Hands-On: The First Digital Large Format Camera

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
1:38 AM
Fun read. Nothing I would spend +100K on :). Not sure they are still in business. Last blog post was in 2022. 4x5 monochrome back available (PDF press release) for $26K.

9×11-inch monochrome CMOS sensor + you need 120V to operate.
The camera does require a 120v power source, so you’ll need an extension cord, inverter, or the like. The camera itself pulls about 300 watts when running and we were able to run it for an hour or so on a small 12v with an inverter.

The LS911 camera is no longer available but the LS911 Mark 2 monochrome back ($90K) is.

iu

Last edited:
“Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic.”

-- Edward Weston

There was a certain logic to that statement. But I wouldn't take this thing more than 5 yards. 4/3, anyone?

Well I hope the guy in the video doesn’t give up his day job to be an on camera celebrity. I couldn’t stand to watch the whole thing. 😵‍💫

In the late 90’s I used to rent a Dicomed 4x5 scanning back. I’ll say when it was working it made fabulous images but it was a scanning back and was large and super sloooooow.

The back had two large cables to the case that housed the electronics which was connected to a desktop Mac with lots of ram. You couldn’t shoot anything that moved because the exposure was so long. With the ISO all the way up, I think 600, and 10,000 wats of quartz light on a small tabletop and the lens (4x5 camera) stopped down to 11-16 exposures ran 20 minutes.

A preview scan could be done in 30 seconds or so but the process was so slow in reality you could only do one shot per hour. It just wasn’t very practical.

Dicomed sold out to Better Light but I never used one of their backs. I’m not sure they’re still in business though.

Back