In Search of the Best Vintage Canon Rangefinder 35, Part 2

Regarding the meter in the Canon 7s. I have found that often the only problem is corrosion in the Check/Off/On switch which can be remedied with emery cloth very delicately used on the contacts after removing the top, which requires patience and planning. Also, I have found small, round, thin plastic material discs (for calibration?) under the H-L metal door for the sensor (with the top off) that apparently had need of cleaning. Just a FYI. On the L1...I found the slow speeds are affected where the light block material under the front mismatches from poor positioning the front on re-assembly and sometimes the slow speeds improve if the front body screws are tightened a wee bit. That is what I have found through experience.

I bought a Canon 7Sz a while back from an Ebayer in Japan who claimed the meter worked. When I got it the meter was as dead as a doorknob. The seller claimed the meter had "died" in transit (!!!) He gave me a $40.00 credit so I kept the camera.
I know this is an older message but as I just stumbled across it, Id like to add that from a seller perspective a similar thing happened to me as the seller. I send a Zeiss Moviflex GS8 from Europe to Australia and when it arrived the camera I previously tested as working was supposedly dead. But I had another one which died on me in use at the same time which was proof enough for me that old CdS meters can die without notice. And sure enough I reimbursed the buyer in full and had him keep the wreck.

Last edited:
Back