How to adjust meter to new battery type. Diode for PX-13/625 meter…

ISO

Established
Local time
12:39 PM
The battery problem again. I am really thinking about, converting my RF cameras to "newer batteries". Here are some instructions for the Olympus 35SP.

"Take the top off and place a diode in the power wire at the junction block next to the viewfinder".

"When I convert an Olympus 35SP (or OM-1, 1N) to silver oxide battery (357, 303, G13, SR44W, MS76, KS76) I use the 1N-6263 schotkey diode. You can also use a 1N-34A and probably a host of others. Diode can only go in one way. Banded end should be "pointing" towards the battery (if you know what I mean.) Hope this helps. "- John Hermanson(Olympus tech since 1977) zukio.com

I would like to do the same to cameras that originally take PX640 and PX675 mercuries. Will this work with the same diodes ?

Also, my problem is to find the "power wire" in my cameras. Any suggestions?

Does their exist more links/ websites, that explain on how to convert your RF camera to "newer batteries" ? Or can you help ?

Last edited:
If you are going to place a Schottky diode inline you don't have to calibrate the meter if it is properly metering with the original mercury battery. Battery check may or may not work with the conversion though.

Remember to use 1 diode for each battery. 1 diode if the camera uses 1 battery or 2 diodes if the camera uses 2 batteries..

Colyn, thanks a lot. Well, I think this is the finest way to get rid of the battery problem and it looks like you already got some experience. Beside me, I think their are many users out there interested in this method. So here I would like to create a good instruction for everyone on "how to do it". BTW - Good point with the 2 diodes for 2 batteries. Any more helpful suggestions ? Does anyone have pictures on "how to do it"?

Last edited:
I've modified several Minolta SRT's by adding the schottky diode and a Minolta 7sII

I also have a homemade adapter which will let me use the silver oxide 357 or 386 cells.

I do not recommend the C.R.I.S. adapter since it is built on the germanium diode which does not do well under load..

VictorM., thanks for the thread. That helps a lot. Still, if anyone wants to post more suggestions, do it! Thanks.

Back