Fujifilm GW 670 III or 690 III..user experiences appreciated

Someone here on RFF debunked that myth. He disconnected the counter from the shutter.

Right… I vaguely remember that being mentioned before.

EDIT: I just found this on Camerapedia: “… discovered that the noise is not due to the shutter nor the odometer, but rather to the winding mechanism and it's linkage with the shutter contained in the lens body.”

So, for those who want a 6x9 rangefinder, what are the choices? There’s the Fuji as a modern option; there’s the Zeiss Super Ikonta as an alternative. What else?

Right… I vaguely remember that being mentioned before.

So, for those who want a 6x9 rangefinder, what are the choices? There’s the Fuji as a modern option; there’s the Zeiss Super Ikonta as an alternative. What else?

Nothing with a linked RF.

I've got the GW690 and a bad right wrist. Still, I have no problems handling the camera even though I'm wearing a brace to protect my wrist. Basically, I hold the lens in my left hand using it to work all the dials, and steady/aim the camera with the right hand. It works out pretty well. Kind of wish I'd gotten a later model for the incremental improvements but this one so far is working out fine for me.

PF

I already have a 6x6 camera--love the square; is 6x7 all that different enough or will only 6x9 do? The price differential between the 670 and 690 is quite startling.

I already have a 6x6 camera--love the square; is 6x7 all that different enough or will only 6x9 do? The price differential between the 670 and 690 is quite startling.

I personally prefer 6x7. I'd say it's significantly wider than 6x6 (25%) while I can live with the 20% crop vs. 6x9. Although I find verticals nicer in 6x9.

I think one can rationalise getting the cheaper 6x9 and cropping if necessary. You lose 2 frames per roll, but how many rolls do you need to shoot in 6x9 to offset the price difference?

I personally prefer 6x7. I'd say it's significantly wider than 6x6 (25%) while I can live with the 20% crop vs. 6x9. Although I find verticals nicer in 6x9.

I think one can rationalise getting the cheaper 6x9 and cropping if necessary. You lose 2 frames per roll, but how many rolls do you need to shoot in 6x9 to offset the price difference?

That's a wise way of looking at it.

I loved the GSW690 III when I had it. No particular reason for choosing 6x9 over the smaller variants of this camera, save that the 6x9 camera was available at a good price. Finder and bubble level were to my liking, and when everything worked out, the lens resolved an impressive amount of detail.

But if used with a looser shooting style, I thought much of the big-film advantage was lost versus 6x4.5, as camera shake limited ultimate resolving power.

It does seem to vary over time....& what's on the market. My favourite of them all. by far, is the 680iii....beautiful format

I loved the GSW690 III when I had it. No particular reason for choosing 6x9 over the smaller variants of this camera, save that the 6x9 camera was available at a good price. Finder and bubble level were to my liking, and when everything worked out, the lens resolved an impressive amount of detail.

But if used with a looser shooting style, I thought much of the big-film advantage was lost versus 6x4.5, as camera shake limited ultimate resolving power.

I'm interested in your comment. In 15+ yrs of using the 670/680/690 I never lost a single frame to camera shake. On the other hand this summer it happened a few times with the Pentax 645.... I did a lot of mountain ski photography and aerials from a helicopter ....using TMY2 or Tri-X. For landscapes with FP4 or Acros.... I used a tripod.

Back