Fuji Rumor - Medium Format less than Hassy

Not a large enough market. I'm sure there are folks like me who are have a LF camera from over 50 years ago that does everything I need.

I'm wondering if there is a market for a reasonable resolution but full 4x5 frame digital back. If larger pixels are important what about a 24MP back? Perhaps a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 back breathing life into this old baby graphics.

B2 (;->

Check these out http://www.largesense.com/

I'm wondering if there is a market for a reasonable resolution but full 4x5 frame digital back. If larger pixels are important what about a 24MP back? Perhaps a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 back breathing life into this old baby graphics.

B2 (;->

That's almost discrete electronics these days :D Dalsa made a 70mmx70mm sensor years ago, they even stopped offereing it. Larger sensors than that have been made for scientific purposes.

, they still do not even make a dedicated professional (non-PJ, non-handheld, studio biased) camera. So that obviously is no market that matters to them financially. I guess the entire pro market might be unprofitable relative to their consumer DSLR business - and while PJ cameras are reputation building among consumers and hence profitable even if they often are supposed to sell at a loss, they might well be right in not expecting similar effects from (almost invisible) studio cameras.

I'm not quite sure what you're wanting from them here?

Are you meaning they don't make a Medium Format body?

Because I'm pretty sure they all have tripod mounts, so they don't have to be handheld, or used for photojournalism.

In the cases of the 5DS/5DSR/D800e I'd say that using a tripod almost becomes a neccesity. In the case of the Canons, the limited ISO range really marks them out as aimed at Studio use, and of course for many years most of them have tethered if that kind of thing is desirable.

Canon is apparently working on a Medium Format option, I'm sure Nikon is/has looked into it (I don't follow).

That's almost discrete electronics these days :D Dalsa made a 70mmx70mm sensor years ago, they even stopped offereing it. Larger sensors than that have been made for scientific purposes.

I was pretty sure they did, but the key to keeping costs down is volume, volume and VOLUME.

I wonder if you made the chips for color, but then took the ones that were not perfect and could convert them to B&W?

If the cost was reasonable enough you could see a resurgence of LF photography, perhaps not as large, but very similar to was CV did a decade or so ago......

B2 (;->

I can't see Canon and Nikon letting this happen without offering an alternative of their own. They do seem very locked into the 35mm DSLR train of thought but you never know!

Given their past and current track records, I doubt Canon's and Nikon's business groups can respond to any new challenges that could erode their market share.

Canon still imaging is benefits by being part of a huge corporation (just as does Fujifilm). But Nikon's stock reveals they are doing quite poorly as it's value halved since 2012.

I can't see Canon and Nikon letting this happen without offering an alternative of their own. They do seem very locked into the 35mm DSLR train of thought but you never know!

They've had their heads in the sand for a long time now.

Here's the thing, even Leica with their SL has beaten Canikon into the mirrorless full frame market. Crazy, huh?

Back