Experience with Hasselblad 503cxi or H3D?

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
2:00 AM
This week I was offered a Hassy 503cxi Kit that was amazing to me but then I was reminded of a former client who had offered me his ("then-almost new") H3D. I fell in love with the H cameras with that one short time with his camera.

The 503cxi kit seems quite versatile at a very reasonable price.
Just dreaming about which direction I need to go professionally at the moment. After I am finished with a half-dozen projects, I need to get back to shooting for hire and I am wondering if Hassy might be the gear needed.

Anyone here with experience with the H cameras?

I've used the H-series numerous times and I love the ergonomics of it. It's a very well laid-out camera with the best viewfinder I've ever used, bar none. My 500CM was fun to use back when I had it, but it's definitely more of a recreational setup.

As pleasant a character as the Zeiss V lenses have, I find them pretty weak on a digital sensor. The Fuji H lenses are measurably better for extracting the full potential of the format. If you're shooting professionally, the H is definitely a better choice.

If you want to go digital,
I think the Fuji GFX system will redefine medium format standards,
destined to become an iconic camera that reshapes photography
like the M3 and Nikon F did in their time.

That's hard to believe now, but next year at this time,
its likely to be the standard medium format view.

time will tell.

What are you shooting with the camera? Are you shooting digital or film? etc.

Well, I have not shot professionally for 10 years. I have been a 24/7 caregiver for the last nine years. But it is time to get back to work... no more sports! Weddings, events, portraits, etc. both film and digital are what I prefer. The M6 will only get me so far.

Also, I am looking into product photography.

It looks like the H2/3 would work just fine but I do not know which lenses yet.

I have both the V and H series bodies (previously owned 503CW, now 2000FCM + 203FE, and H2) and I love both. I would try to keep your decision making as simple as possible.

Depending on your shooting style or professional potential,.. if you are wanting to solely shoot film, The V series bodies is a great approach. If you want to shoot digitally, then I would go with the H series bodies. If you plan on shooting both, the H series is a nice combination. The only reason why I kept the 2000/203 bodies, is because of the 110 lens. It's a beautiful portrait lens without a doubt. Mind you it doesn't work on the 500 series bodies.

For studio work, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Maybe some more conveniences for the H series.

But like someone said already, if you want to shoot digital medium format, I would really consider the Fuji GFX. It will start changing the way of digital photography.

If you want to go digital,
I think the Fuji GFX system will redefine medium format standards,
destined to become an iconic camera that reshapes photography
like the M3 and Nikon F did in their time.

That's hard to believe now, but next year at this time,
its likely to be the standard medium format view.

time will tell.

Hmmm... Thanks for the tip! Will definitely consider that! :))

I think I like the V-series better for slower, contemplative photography. The H-series feels right at home with a larger grip-viewfinder setup; the V-series feels a little clunky. But to each their own.

The H-series also offers a lot more control over the camera's settings, and a wide array of digital and film backs, with the downside of having to stick to 6x4.5 format.

Disclaimer, I am currently selling my H3DII, but I often use H2D's in a commercial studio with Phase One and Leaf backs. They are fantastic cameras, both in the field and tethered to a computer.

Edit: I just saw you were looking into product photography...I strongly believe the H-series is the way to go, tethered to a computer. You can do things like focus stacking that you could never do on film. Also, as much as I love film, digital is far more convenient for this type of work.

Back