Compact Fast Lensed Rangefinder 35mm Cameras

Adding to the list, I really like the svelte Minolta Minoltina S and Minoltina AL-S. Sporting the wonderful Rokkor 40/1.8 lens, the Minoltinas are full featured and all manual compact rangefinders that are quite a bit lighter weight and slimmer than its bigger brothers (V2/V3). The Minoltina is as compact as Canon QL17, but noticeably lighter.

I also like the Fujica's (35-M, 35-ML, 35-EE, 35-SE), especially for their Fujinon lenses. The focus wheel and bottom film advance might need a bit of getting used to. Heavy and solid.

I have a number of these, glad to see they are on the list.

One to mention- the Walz 35 Envoy, with 4.8cm F1.9- a 7 element Sonnar formula lens. One of the few fixed-lens rangefinders with a Sonnar type lens.
Easy to recognize- the lens diagram is engraved on the top deck.
This made me think about a camera I got about a dozen yrs ago and always thought it to be quite unique. It is a Walz 35-S with the 4.8cm/F1.9 Kominar and Copal B-1/500 MXV shutter. It is pristine with original Walz Hood/ Front Cap, and leather everready case. When I got it, I was just getting into some Nikon RF's so I didn't think much about this "Off-Brand" camera, but the more I look at it and dry fire it, this piece is as well built as any other top RF fixed lens camera out there. I have never put a roll through it but I bet the lens is also very good also, an it also has the lens diagram engraved. I have seen a number of other variations of Walz cameras, but not this model with the F1.9 lens.

Attachments

• Walz 35-S.jpg
    Walz 35-S.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Walz35-S.jpg
    Walz35-S.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 12
Shutter release linkages on folding cameras with the shutter button on the body and the shutter at the other end of the camera are a weak point to put it mildly, add to that some sort of early method of preventing double exposure when the film advance is separate from the shutter cocking routing and...well you know the rest.

An afterthought...front cell focussing or 'unit' focussing, does it really make that much of a difference?
Thanks for your input. I agree that separate film advance and shutter cocking and the little button or lever you must press/push to move to the next frame is a PIA that can lead to blank or unintentional double exposures. As for front cell vs. unit focusing, the latter gives better results overall, but the difference is noticeable only at wide apertures and close focusing distances.

Back