Anyone using Filson's Magnum bags?

mdwsta4

Matty Westside
Local time
5:05 AM
I've been considering another bag with slightly more room than the Ona Bowery I've been using for the past year. The obvious choice was a Hadley Pro, but I'm also interested in the Filson Camera Field Bag.

Unfortunately, reviews of this bag seem to be few and far between. I've only found two (this one and another from Matt Day on YouTube) (http://cranes-country-store.com/filson-magnum-field-camera-bag-review/). Most other reviews seem to be on the Harvey Bag. I prefer the quicker opening/closing of the Field Bag.

For those that may have experience with the Magnum line, are the Harvey bag and Field bag made out of different materials? On the Filson site, the Harvey bag is listed as being made of tempered cotton, while the Field Bag is made out of Tin Cloth. Reviews on the Harvey bag made comments about how the fabric was lighter which was a plus. Of course, the Field Bag listed on Filson's site doesn't have the Magnum patch on the inner flap like the Harvey bag does (and the two reviews had). So perhaps the Field Bag listed on the site is not the Magnum version?

http://www.filson.com/products/camera-field-bag.70147.html

Guess I'm just looking for any feedback on these bags.

Thank you!
M

I have the Harvey, for about 2 months now. My first Filson. In short, I really like it. I use it everyday for work. Take out the camera divider and you have different ways to arrange the main compartment. I myself use a Domke small insert (2 compartments) on one side and a larger area for a camera.
The field bag to my understanding it not part of the Magnum series. There are only 4 Magnum series.

Are you looking at the Medium Field bag that's listed on clearance? I have that one and I like it a lot. It's comparable in size to my Billingham f1.4. I put a Timbuk2 Snoop insert in it, which makes it more useful. I really like the way the strap is attached to the bag on the back versus the top. It sits really nicely over my chest and on my hip. Also, it's a great deal for $99! And it doesn't look like a camera bag. Not too many negatives here.
I also have the Photographers Backpack from their Magnum line. I like the backpack a lot, but it's not light. This was a gift that I exchanged for the McCurry bag. I ended up returning the McCurry bag and getting the backpack in the end. The McCurry bag is really big and cumbersome. I cannot imagine ever needing to carry around that much gear!
These two bags are very different materials. The field bag is tin cloth, which can be oiled and kept waterproof. The Magnum bag is a very heavy cotton canvas.
In my opinion, if you buy an insert for it, the field bag is great for 2 bodies and maybe an extra lens. The front pockets are good for film/batteries/etc. The backpack is perfect for a full day with an ipad, lunch and a lot of gear.

just my .02.

My issue with the Harvey bag is the fact that it only has one divider and only one place to attach the divider too. That's not suitable for my needs. The mesh back seems strange too and there's no quick release for the buckles. I do like the snaps though.

Regarding the Magnum line, check out the review link I posted and Matt Day's YouTube photo, both show the Magnum patch on the Camera Field Bag...

I have the Harvey, for about 2 months now. My first Filson. In short, I really like it. I use it everyday for work. Take out the camera divider and you have different ways to arrange the main compartment. I myself use a Domke small insert (2 compartments) on one side and a larger area for a camera.
The field bag to my understanding it not part of the Magnum series. There are only 4 Magnum series.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not seen the bag on clearance. Typically when I travel I'll have a Leica MP and Fuji x100s. Then I'll carry batteries, filters, film, and an iPad for the plane. I can cram all that into an Ona Bowery, but would like just a little more room. Would also be nice for carrying my Hasselblad and a second body around. The Bowery is too small to fit anything but the HB.

You feel the Magnum fabric is thicker/heavier than the standard tin cloth fabric? That seems to be the opposite of the reviews I've been reading.

Are you looking at the Medium Field bag that's listed on clearance? I have that one and I like it a lot. It's comparable in size to my Billingham f1.4. I put a Timbuk2 Snoop insert in it, which makes it more useful. I really like the way the strap is attached to the bag on the back versus the top. It sits really nicely over my chest and on my hip. Also, it's a great deal for $99! And it doesn't look like a camera bag. Not too many negatives here.
I also have the Photographers Backpack from their Magnum line. I like the backpack a lot, but it's not light. This was a gift that I exchanged for the McCurry bag. I ended up returning the McCurry bag and getting the backpack in the end. The McCurry bag is really big and cumbersome. I cannot imagine ever needing to carry around that much gear!
These two bags are very different materials. The field bag is tin cloth, which can be oiled and kept waterproof. The Magnum bag is a very heavy cotton canvas.
In my opinion, if you buy an insert for it, the field bag is great for 2 bodies and maybe an extra lens. The front pockets are good for film/batteries/etc. The backpack is perfect for a full day with an ipad, lunch and a lot of gear.

just my .02.

They are pretty cool bags, but I personally would rather use one of the original briefcases with an insert over any of the magnum bags if I was going to choose one.

Info is light on these even on the Filson site. If anyone wants more detailed pics of anything, my buddy is a Filson rep and has samples of all of them. I'll probably see him in the next week or so.

You feel the Magnum fabric is thicker/heavier than the standard tin cloth fabric? That seems to be the opposite of the reviews I've been reading.

I'll look at them tonight when I get home. If memory serves, I think the canvas/Magnum bag is a little thicker and slightly heavier and the tin cloth is a little bit lighter and thinner. To be honest I haven't given it much thought, so I'll have to compare them.

I'll look at them tonight when I get home. If memory serves, I think the canvas/Magnum bag is a little thicker and slightly heavier and the tin cloth is a little bit lighter and thinner. To be honest I haven't given it much thought, so I'll have to compare them.

The tin cloth on both your bags is the 15 oz standard stuff, and the twill on the backpack is the super heavy 22 oz stuff. Filson has the specs on the site if you hit the fabric info tab.

That 22 oz twill is super duper heavy. They make some of the duffels out of the stuff, and it seems like it weighs as much as a hard suitcase!

A couple of different fabrics are used on the Magnum bags. Some use the 15 oz tin cloth (the typical Filson fabric) and the super heavy 22 oz twill (Camera Field Bag and backpack) while some use a lighter 8 oz cotton (McCurry sportsman, Harvey messenger).

Filson has been doing this across their bag range. While it seemed that everything was once the regular tin cloth, they have these fabrics and also have some nylons in some others (like the stupid expensive black 72 hour bag).

That would be great! If he wants another tester for it, I'll gladly put it through the paces while traveling along the California coast, Yosemite, and Fiji islands over the next 60 days!

They are pretty cool bags, but I personally would rather use one of the original briefcases with an insert over any of the magnum bags if I was going to choose one.

Info is light on these even on the Filson site. If anyone wants more detailed pics of anything, my buddy is a Filson rep and has samples of all of them. I'll probably see him in the next week or so.

I see that now. Thank you for pointing it out.

A couple of different fabrics are used on the Magnum bags. Some use the 15 oz tin cloth (the typical Filson fabric) and the super heavy 22 oz twill (Camera Field Bag and backpack) while some use a lighter 8 oz cotton (McCurry sportsman, Harvey messenger).

Filson has been doing this across their bag range. While it seemed that everything was once the regular tin cloth, they have these fabrics and also have some nylons in some others (like the stupid expensive black 72 hour bag).

The tin cloth on both your bags is the 15 oz standard stuff, and the twill on the backpack is the super heavy 22 oz stuff. Filson has the specs on the site if you hit the fabric info tab.

That 22 oz twill is super duper heavy. They make some of the duffels out of the stuff, and it seems like it weighs as much as a hard suitcase!

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not seen the bag on clearance. Typically when I travel I'll have a Leica MP and Fuji x100s. Then I'll carry batteries, filters, film, and an iPad for the plane. I can cram all that into an Ona Bowery, but would like just a little more room. Would also be nice for carrying my Hasselblad and a second body around. The Bowery is too small to fit anything but the HB.

These is what I've brought with the Harvey.
- DSLR with 3 lenses, 3 pro primes. And much room for many accessories.
- Hasselblad 501 CM w/ lens attached. Small point and shoot. + accessories.
Hopes this gives you and idea of what's possible.

I did the same thing as Bob338, got the Filson medium field bag, then put a Snoop knock-off insert inside, fit perfectly.

Super happy with the Filson, fabric weight is perfect for me.

Hello everyone, my name is Karl and I'm the author of the written review linked in the OP. I'm also a decades long Filson guy and my tech/photo client mentioned above is a long time Filson dealer.

There seems to be a lot of questions about what bag is made of what fabric. Before I get into that I'll take the time to list the four main waxed fabrics that Filson uses.

The lightest fabric is called cover cloth and weighs in at about 8/8.5 ounces a yard.

The middle weight fabric is called shelter cloth and weighs in at 11 ounces a yard.

The heavy weight fabric is tin cloth and it weighs in at 15 ounces a yard.

Then there's the super duty rugged twill which weighs in at 22 ounces a yard.

All of the McCurry and Harvey named bags are made from the 8/8.5 ounce cover cloth. The camera field bag and photographer's backpack are made of the 15 ounce tin cloth. The original sportsman tog bag is made of both 22 ounce rugged twill and 15 ounce tin cloth.

Oh and all of the bags have both a Filson and Magnum label as well.

Hope that clears up a few questions....

I didn't catch this when I took pics of the Otter F+M Field Camera Bag. Now that my tan bag showed up it's quite apparent that the material that makes the side pockets and runs along the bottom is the 22 ounce twill. In my opinion this is a very good thing. Here's a pic..

Attachments

• DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Just picked up a Filson small field bag for my MM.

IMG_9803_zpsf6d2c5eb.jpg

IMG_9805_zps3d724677.jpg

Hard bottom taken from another bag, thin layer of foam and about a 2 inch or so foam pad with cut out to place camera with lens face down.
Cut out
IMG_9401_zps95a7a245.jpg

With MM and 35 Lux FLE
IMG_9400_zpsa1342350.jpg

Thanks,

It's a real nice bag and small. 10 X 9 X 4 inches. Not really big enough for two bodies but I could reconfigure and be able to add a couple of small lenses probably.

I picked it up through the outlet for $120

Great Bag

Great Bag

Mine (just like the one pictured) is about 16 years old, wears beautifully and is very nice to work out of. Amazingly durable!

To update this from my end, I did receive a camera field bag from Filson and used it on a trip to Fiji.

Pros -
looks great!
holds a lot of gear
nice interior pockets
configurable interior pads (unlike the Harvey bag)

Cons -
padding way too minimal
not enough structure (would fold in on itself when trying to get gear out)
snaps not really easy to use one handed
rear exterior pocket too flimsy

At the end of the day I returned the bag. I had high hopes and wanted to love it, but didn't. If it were half the price, I'd have kept it, but for $300+, it's just not that good of a bag. Billingham Hadley Pro is a better choice (IMO).

Here's the gear I took on my trip
58438559678351-vi.jpg

Here's what I could fit in it
Leica MP + 50mm cron
13 rolls of film
Fujifilm X100T
5 extra batteries
2 16GB SD cards
TCL
Instax printer
20 instax prints
iPhone 6 with custom created skin
2 external batteries to charge phones, iPads, etc
Shoulderpod S1 to mount iPhone for long exposures and better grip for video/odd angles
Waterproof phone pouch
ND and orange filters
MKII Nassau
pen, notebook, sunglasses, iPad, and snacks.

I'm using the Harvey Messenger and it's been really great so far. My main critique was that the length of the strap was not long enough to wear across my chest (I'm 6'3") but I've acclimated to it and I enjoy it in general. It's perfect for carrying my Leica kit, but I'm trying to find a way to fit my Mamiya 7 kit in there if possible. I might just have to carry it outside the bag when in use and then dismount the lens when I pack it up.

Overall though, I've been very happy with the bag in general and though it was definitely expensive, I covered the cost by selling extra camera bags I didn't need. It feels very well made and though I've scuffed it up a bit already, but it definitely feels well made.

Update: I've had the bag now for a year and a half and it's nicely worn in, forms perfectly to my body and carries everything I want to actually carry for a day of shooting (while keeping me from bringing extra gear that wouldn't necessarily be needed. I have traveled fairly extensively in this time frame and the bag has been rained on, covered in dirt, crumpled, stuffed into other bags for travel, I've surely sweat on it from hiking, and it's just as sturdy as day one. No rips or tears. I'm very very pleased with the quality and comfort of the bag, and though it is on the larger side, it is my favorite day bag for a two camera kit.

Back