A7 II or A7 + $400?

A7 II or A7 + $400?

• A7 + $400

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • A7 II

Votes: 87 71.9%

• Total voters
A7 is close to my ideal camera to use with legacy lenses.
I don't shoot sports, super-fast cars, or UFO, so I can live without IBIS.

Let the price of A7 come down to my range with more people getting the II version.

Legacy lenses was my main reason for getting the A7R. The focus peaking and magnify functions make using manual lenses easy, unlike dSLRs. Since then I have discovered a bunch of other benefits.

Attachments

• A7 Canon 35f2.jpg
    A7 Canon 35f2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
A7 is close to my ideal camera to use with legacy lenses.
I don't shoot sports, super-fast cars, or UFO, so I can live without IBIS.

IBIS is not useful for any of the items you mention. So it would seem that if you do not shoot that, it would be useful to you.

What IBIS does is allow you to use much lower shutter speeds (up to four stops lower) handheld than you would normally be able to, for any given lens.

So, say you have a 50mm lens, the normal rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the lens focal length is your slowest shutter speed before camera shake kicks in. In this case it would be 1/60 sec. IBIS can drop that speed down to 1/8 sec, handheld.

It has nothing to do with capturing/freezing a subject's motion.

Shots that before you would need a tripod for can now be taken hand held. The only reason I see to get an A7 is if you cannot afford the A7II.

IBIS is not useful for any of the items you mention. So it would seem that if you do not shoot that, it would be useful to you.

What IBIS does is allow you to use much lower shutter speeds (up to four stops lower) handheld than you would normally be able to, for any given lens.

So, say you have a 50mm lens, the normal rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the lens focal length is your slowest shutter speed before camera shake kicks in. In this case it would be 1/60 sec. IBIS can drop that speed down to 1/8 sec, handheld.

It has nothing to do with capturing/freezing a subject's motion.

Shots that before you would need a tripod for can now be taken hand held. The only reason I see to get an A7 is if you cannot afford the A7II.

I can consistently get sharp shots with a 50mm lens on my A7 at 1/8, with the electronic front curtain on. 1/4 is a bit trickier, but taking 3-4 shots I can usually get one sharp frame.

IBIS is for people with shaky hands :D Also, there are plenty of reasons to stick with the A7. The A7 is lighter, thinner, and easier to buy accessories for.

There's a few reasons that tipped the balance for me to being interested in the A7II:

1) Bigger grip and improved front dial/shutter location, including a more ergonomic battery grip.
2) Additional function buttons
3) Improved weather sealing and sturdier mount (better sealing doesn't hurt, and I have noticed the wiggle with some lenses).
4) Faster AF
5) IBIS

I'm hoping the AF improvements are worthwhile in particular, since I use E-mount lenses for the wide and tele range.

For adapted rangefinder lenses I'm also interested in seeing if the performance is any better than the A7 (not expecting anything, but you never know).

Of course IBIS will be a nice bonus, but IMO it's not the most interesting feature. It only helps with static subjects and the Sony FE zooms are well stabilized already in any case. I'm happy to have it, but it's actually less exciting to me than better ergonomics and AF performance.

All of your reasons make waiting for the January/February introduction of the Sony A9 all the more attractive. I suspect that we can add more phase detection points, yet faster autofocus, high mpix and probably at least as good high ISO. I would expect more battery capacity, 4K recording and probably dual memory slots. I would save the money and buy the A7, or wait.

I wonder if the body design alters in any way the ease of accidentally changing the ISO. That happened to me more than once the brief time I tried out the cameras, and must admit found that to be a bit annoying. Probably could have gotten use to it, though.

I wonder if the body design alters in any way the ease of accidentally changing the ISO. That happened to me more than once the brief time I tried out the cameras, and must admit found that to be a bit annoying. Probably could have gotten use to it, though.

Easy fix: take ISO off the direct dial where it is assigned by default.

G

All of your reasons make waiting for the January/February introduction of the Sony A9 all the more attractive. I suspect that we can add more phase detection points, yet faster autofocus, high mpix and probably at least as good high ISO. I would expect more battery capacity, 4K recording and probably dual memory slots. I would save the money and buy the A7, or wait.

I'd put money on an A9 not having 4k recording, dual memory slots, or the high iso. Maybe higher ISO, but not on the level of the A7S.

In my opinion I think Sony has done a good thing with their current fragmentation of the A7. The A7 could be considered almost an 'enthusiast' full frame or 'entry level' full frame. $1200 for a full frame with the features it has is pretty great. Need more mpixels? Get the R. Need a really amazing camera? Get the S.

Personally I think the high iso capabilities of the A7S are more impressive than the IS on the A7 II. I love being able to use my Elmar-C, my Elmar, my slow CV lenses, etc at night. There's no reason to own fast lenses for me anymore except for my film Leicas, which I never use now that I got the A7S.

yes they fixed that. need to push in the iso button first, then rotate the dial.

renting the a7m2 now, after earlier this year renting all the others (but not at same time.) must say the apparent build quality and finish makes it feel much more like a real camera, and not a prototype.

So, given that they're discount the A7 $400-, which would you go for, if buying now? Are the in-body IS and the other tweaks worth the extra?

Yes, absolutely, if you're shooting alt lenses. IBIS alone would be worth it. If you're shooting Sony lenses with in-lens stabilization, it's more debatable.

Back