6x9 photos Only

50017939702_9ef3d49e3b_c.jpg

50017680241_b24cb2f5f2_c.jpg

50017679856_4f3817049d_c.jpg

50017679396_6798e127a6_c.jpg

Fuji GSW690 III

Shawn

Not sure I qualify to post in here as there are some absolutely stunning images in this thread, but here are a few from my first roll of CineStill 800T shot at night with my Fujica GW690II. I exposed these at 400 ISO and developed normally at home with CS41 chemistry (so essentially one stop over-exposed) and scanned on my old HP G-Series scanner. I love the red halation you get from CS800T. Especially at night.

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

what I found with Moskva 5 (and years ago with Bessa II) is that those old folders have a bit wider format than simple 3:2 ratio, and I like to crop them with panoramic ratio e.g. 16:10.

S7AmCBk.jpg

what I found with Moskva 5 (and years ago with Bessa II) is that those old folders have a bit wider format than simple 3:2 ratio, and I like to crop them with panoramic ratio e.g. 16:10.

S7AmCBk.jpg

Jan,

I like your cropping here, but am interested that you left just a slight space on the right at edge of building. Did you also try cropping that out, which i'm thinking would really tighten the space?

For me and going back and forth between 6x4.5 and 6x9, I try to use the entire negative generally and especially since shooting with these slows me down anyway. The 6x9 is large enough that I don't hesitate to crop when processing what these days becomes a "file".

David

51326613668_65815ea50b_c.jpg

Flickr
6x9 is a sweet ratio. Fuji GSW690lll, HP5+ in Pyrocat HD, Print on Ilford Classic in Ansco 130. iPhone photo of 16"x20" print.

Jan,

I like your cropping here, but am interested that you left just a slight space on the right at edge of building. Did you also try cropping that out, which i'm thinking would really tighten the space?

For me and going back and forth between 6x4.5 and 6x9, I try to use the entire negative generally and especially since shooting with these slows me down anyway. The 6x9 is large enough that I don't hesitate to crop when processing what these days becomes a "file".

David

Thanks David for your insights, actually I was surprised to have this space on the negative, in the viewfinder it was indeed a tighter, more textures-oriented picture. I decided to leave it, I think it opens the composition nicely.

6x4.5 (4:3) is my go-to ratio, most of darkroom prints I make on 18x24cm paper(and I'm not very attached to black borders), so I can use similar look for everything from half-frame to 6x9 plus digital.

Just a comment: Truth about these spectacular images is that a downsized web image will not be appreciably better that a 35mm.

These have to be viewed as a print or on a high rez monitor. Links to the better scans are imperative.

I adapted a Tessar 10.5cm from an Ikonta 6x9 onto my Rolleiflex SL66.

After the rains by Timoleon Wilkins, on Flickr

I think though the computer certainly can't do much in terms of resolution of medium format (vs 35mm) the different treatment of tonal range in both B/W and color is very obvious

Thanks David for your insights, actually I was surprised to have this space on the negative, in the viewfinder it was indeed a tighter, more textures-oriented picture. I decided to leave it, I think it opens the composition nicely.

6x4.5 (4:3) is my go-to ratio, most of darkroom prints I make on 18x24cm paper(and I'm not very attached to black borders), so I can use similar look for everything from half-frame to 6x9 plus digital.

I totally get your leaving that space Jan. It's subtle but changes the overall image markedly. On the second of my B&Ws above, I actually cropped in but left space around that train piling for the same reason. It opens things up.

David

Just a comment: Truth about these spectacular images is that a downsized web image will not be appreciably better that a 35mm.

These have to be viewed as a print or on a high rez monitor. Links to the better scans are imperative.

I would generally agree and add that printing is where it is at in bringing out what is on the negative (regardless of format). While it isn't consistent w jpegs here, I think that the differences generally show from smaller to larger format. I do see some from med format digital and scratch my head wondering if the image could not have been taken with a 16mp APS-C camera (and not to denegrate aps-c).

David

Back