120 Day with the Rapid Omega

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
8:38 AM
Anybody remember this is the first 120 Day of 2022? If you missed it the second one is the 120th Day of the Year on April 30th.

I took a roll of 09/2015 vintage Tri-X out of the fridge, then dragged the Rapid Omega 200 out of its hiding place. First though I had to replace the ratty seals in the film back, and clean up the sticky shutter button on the camera. Then I decided to use a meter, and just happened to have a Gossen Sixtar sitting on the desk. It had a rotten 625A cell in it so I opened up my last Wein cell to get it working, and set to cleaning out the battery chamber on the meter. After an hour I installed the battery and checked the meter against my desk lamp which is 1/125 - f5.6 @ ISO 200 and got a good reading. So it was off into the winter weather I went, timing it pretty good between the sleet and rain showers. I was hoping there would be some snow fog but it was too diffuse to be of any interest. Had to stop after seven of the ten frames because my hands were starting to complain too much, but all in all it was a good outing.

PF

After all those equipment hassles, I would have just curled up for a good nap. You're to be commended for going out into the winter weather. And monitored closely for further signs of unbalanced behavior...

Post some pictures when you have them developed.

I certainly will.

After all those equipment hassles, I would have just curled up for a good nap. You're to be commended for going out into the winter weather. And monitored closely for further signs of unbalanced behavior...

Yeah, well, I used to be in the Submarine Service, so it comes kind of natural.

PF

Silent Service? And not a "puke"! You saw some serious service. And, yes, you are a multiple MOS problem solver. The camera is a classic. That one and the Kalart Press camera were classics and way ahead of the pack but never took off. I am looking forward to more posts on this camera.

Silent Service? And not a "puke"! You saw some serious service. And, yes, you are a multiple MOS problem solver. The camera is a classic. That one and the Kalart Press camera were classics and way ahead of the pack but never took off. I am looking forward to more posts on this camera.

Yeah, I really like the heft of it, and the fact that I can carry it in my left hand. If the grip was on the right I'd have had to gotten rid of the camera a long time ago. But it's only the second largest rangefinder camera I own, being superseded by the Graphlex Special.

PF

Back