A Hasselblad, more than 40 years after first looking.

This is where digital shines. Multiple images can be combined to make one that is in focus for any depth you want. Take them a second or so apart, use software to combine them and presto! a marvelous image. The Swiss mathphotogra[her covers this very well in this clip:

I think I will try this with the software to combine the focus bracketing shots. Be prepared for a small onslaught of images if I ever get around to it.

Many thanks for your comments Richard. Yes I think that is definitely a challenge, particularly when mostly one is using these closeup devices to photograph nature of one kind or another. So merely showing what something looks like up-close is fine, but as you say it usually doesn't necessarily lead to creating an 'artistic whole'. That's my challenge and I suppose for everyone else who uses these devices.

I think probably the first two bellows shots I posted here are of the 'here's what this looks like up-close' variety (Mid May Raindrops and Backyard Wander 2024-1). The other three may be approaching something a bit more, not too sure. One thing I do like is what happens to the colours in the out-of-focus areas, particularly in the third shot (Backyard Wander 2024-2). Almost like the plant portions in the background are being consumed by the surrounding colour -- ha maybe I'm reading too much into it! Not so sure about the two raindrop shots.

One thing I am restricted by at the moment is the use of the 80mm lens. My 135mm lenses are in storage at the moment (we're in the midst of moving) and I think the 135's would allow me to pull back some and give more flexibility.
I agree regarding the longer lens giving more control. My next one up from 80 is 150. With my extension tube I think me going shorter than 60 would require the subject to be closer than the lip of the lens barrel. Some of your kitchen shots are terrific close ups, the mojitos in my memory of that shot, and many others - the onion skin.

Back