Zeiss 21/4 Biogon on Barnack Leica thanks to Amedeo

I ordered mine last week; I've got a friend visiting the UK who'll be bringing it with him. I've been lusting after an LTM one for years and this is the first time there's been stock of them at the same time I've had the funds to buy one!

What a tease to post this now when they just sold out. I guess September is not that far away...

Will it work with with LTM/M adapter on Leica M digital bodies? Lenses are Zeiss 21/4.5 Biogon and 35/2.8 Opton.

I do have the Amedeo Nikon RF to LTM adapter and wonder if the Zeiss Biogon 21/4.5 would fit.

Wow -- my 21mm f/4.5 Biogon does not mount at all with the Amedeo Nikon S to M adapter. I wonder what is different about the LTM version.

Wow -- my 21mm f/4.5 Biogon does not mount at all with the Amedeo Nikon S to M adapter. I wonder what is different about the LTM version.
I have never used my Nikon S mount CV 21/4 as it does not fit the Leica M. Is there an Amedeo adapter that will let me use this lens on a Leica?

I have never used my Nikon S mount CV 21/4 as it does not fit the Leica M. Is there an Amedeo adapter that will let me use this lens on a Leica?
I don't know. According to Mr. Gandy's post above, at least the 21mm f/4.5 Biogon seems to work with the Amedeo LTM adapter. Like I said, the Biogon definitely does not work with the Amedeo M adapter as the rear of the lens interferes with the RF cam. Maybe Mr. Gandy can confirm whether the CV 21mm works with the LTM version.

I miss using a 21mm lens with my M cameras. I used to use with Barnack film cameras my Canon 19mm and my Rokkor 21mm lenses. Neither lens can be used with my M digital cameras.

I remember a list which Nikon-S mount lenses were compatible with Leica M-mount or thread mount by using an adapter. I also remember a post here showing Shintaro-san's work on some of the wide-angle CV Nikon S-mount lenses where he had carefully thinned the shroud of the rear elements to fit them to Leica M. Jon Manjiro posted it here and should know more about it.

There is apparently a tech in South Korea, somehow associated with Coiro Optics, who can modify both the Biogon and the 35mm f/1.8 W-Nikkor so that they both work with the M adapters AND can still be used natively on Contax/Nikon RF. As far as I know, no one has been able to do this -- usually the process to make them work involves permanently butchering them -- like how Miyazaki used to do. Even Skyllaney Optics has been physically rehousing those lenses for M use. However, this guy in South Korea seems to be pretty much unknown outside of a few IG posts.

There is apparently a tech in South Korea, somehow associated with Coiro Optics, who can modify both the Biogon and the 35mm f/1.8 W-Nikkor so that they both work with the M adapters AND can still be used natively on Contax/Nikon RF. As far as I know, no one has been able to do this -- usually the process to make them work involves permanently butchering them -- like how Miyazaki used to do. Even Skyllaney Optics has been physically rehousing those lenses for M use. However, this guy in South Korea seems to be pretty much unknown outside of a few IG posts.
Yes, I posted about him on another thread. He runs GIGANTOPTIK.COM by Goliathus, an impressive collection of lens repair posts and lens reviews. He seems to have a passion for Nikon S and Contax RF mount lenses. It's all in Korean but modern browsers have a useable translate function. From the contents of the page I say he is a skilled lens repairer and quite knowledgeable, so I would trust him.

Reactions: das
w
I don't know. According to Mr. Gandy's post above, at least the 21mm f/4.5 Biogon seems to work with the Amedeo LTM adapter. Like I said, the Biogon definitely does not work with the Amedeo M adapter as the rear of the lens interferes with the RF cam. Maybe Mr. Gandy can confirm whether the CV 21mm works with the LTM version.
Interfere with the RF cam of the adapter, or the RF arm of the camera...?

From the looks of it the LTM adapter has a VERY slim rf cam. Maybe it's just slim enough for the rear elements of the 21mm to fit in.

Reactions: das
Yes, I posted about him on another thread. He runs GIGANTOPTIK.COM by Goliathus, an impressive collection of lens repair posts and lens reviews. He seems to have a passion for Nikon S and Contax RF mount lenses. It's all in Korean but modern browsers have a useable translate function. From the contents of the page I say he is a skilled lens repairer and quite knowledgeable, so I would trust him.
Thanks! I had no idea he had such an extensive website.

The rotating ring on the rear has been removed - it’s two screws pretty simple -
This is the only way to mount a 21 biogon on a Leica
I don’t think it will cause light issues
Otherwise it’s been done that way since the 50’s
On a m camera the coupling ring for the Contax mount hits the rf rollerAmedeo made a special non rf coupled adapter
that lowered the lens to clear the roller
Wish I still had it

Last edited:
The rotating ring on the rear has been removed - it’s two screws pretty simple -
This is the only way to mount a 21 biogon on a Leica
I don’t think it will cause light issues
Otherwise it’s been done that way since the 50’s
On a m camera the coupling ring for the Contax mount hits the rf rollerAmedeo made a special non rf coupled adapter
that lowered the lens to clear the roller
Wish I still had it
But this post shows that the new LTM adapter will work with the Biogon? I wish the Head Bartender would chime in here! :).

I remember a list which Nikon-S mount lenses were compatible with Leica M-mount or thread mount by using an adapter. I also remember a post here showing Shintaro-san's work on some of the wide-angle CV Nikon S-mount lenses where he had carefully thinned the shroud of the rear elements to fit them to Leica M. Jon Manjiro posted it here and should know more about it.

I had to rebuild the search index but finally found @jonmanjiro 's thread from way back.

Note: Back in 2009 Amedeo was manufacturing an adapter that incorporated Kiev helicals. He made at least two adapters using spare Nikon S-mount helicals for myself and @jonmanjiro as well.

His current adapter design is entirely Amedeo's own proprietory creation, with it's own helical and lens release design. I'm unsure if there are physical differences between older adapters and his current adapters with regards to lens compatibility.

I had to rebuild the search index but finally found @jonmanjiro 's thread from way back.

Note: Back in 2009 Amedeo was manufacturing an adapter that incorporated Kiev helicals. He made at least two adapters using spare Nikon S-mount helicals for myself and @jonmanjiro as well.

His current adapter design is entirely Amedeo's own proprietory creation, with it's own helical and lens release design. I'm unsure if there are physical differences between older adapters and his current adapters with regards to lens compatibility.

He also made one adapter Nikon-S to Leica M-mount with an original Nikon helical. I had one of those before selling it together with a lens.

Back