W/NW: Still Life

Thanks Murray , its just an old Waltham gold fill I'm told . Had it for years but needs a repair as if you have it in your pocket it changes the time on its own.

Digitest Balloon Beauty Light and Fill by Nokton48, on Flickr

Digitest of lighting setup Sky Blue Seamless Broncolor Beauty Light at F32 45 degrees camera left, Broncolor Balloon at a 90 degrees camera left F16 providing soft overall fill to the set. Silver Fill Panel camera light angled to 'feather' the fill. So far I have tried Hasselblad with 100mm, and also with 350 f5.6 with 8mm Extension Tube. Both TMax 100 bracketed f32 to F11.

Also I have set up 5x7 Sinar Norma with my longest LF lens, a 790mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar. 47 inches of bellows draw measured/required, with 1.5 stops of Bellows Draw calculated. I'll leave it set up for a while until I am satisfied with what I have gotten. 5x7 contact prints are the goal on this one

Starting with small format and slowly moving up

Digitest Balloon Beauty Light and Fill by Nokton48, on Flickr

Digitest of lighting setup Sky Blue Seamless Broncolor Beauty Light at F32 45 degrees camera left, Broncolor Balloon at a 90 degrees camera left F16 providing soft overall fill to the set. Silver Fill Panel camera light angled to 'feather' the fill. So far I have tried Hasselblad with 100mm, and also with 350 f5.6 with 8mm Extension Tube. Both TMax 100 bracketed f32 to F11.

Also I have set up 5x7 Sinar Norma with my longest LF lens, a 790mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar. 47 inches of bellows draw measured/required, with 1.5 stops of Bellows Draw calculated. I'll leave it set up for a while until I am satisfied with what I have gotten. 5x7 contact prints are the goal on this one

Starting with small format and slowly moving up

That's a lot of effort Nokton 48 but well worth it , absolutely superb .

Tim Kelly Lighting Test Hasselblad 100mm Pan F Plus by Nokton48, on Flickr

Thirty years ago I studied Tim Kelly's portrait techniques. Now I am revising and revisiting it in my smaller studio. A Broncolor C171 monolight with modern 360 degree Broncolor Balloon Head at 90 degrees left. Another C171 with Pulso Softbox at 45 degrees left, set one stop brighter. A whitish fill panel semi silver at 45 degrees right, just out of the shot Finally, a smaller C70 Broncolor Monolight, with custom made old Broncolor snoot and grid, 45 degrees right but up very high, creating the spot of light just to the right and slightly above the test subject. The idea is that the lighting reads "dark, light, dark, light" which creates an artististic rythm that is very classic. Hasselblad EL/M with 100mm f3.5 T* black Planar, Hasselblad YG filter, Ilford Pan F+ developed in D23 1:1 in JOBO tank on Unicolor Uniroller. Omega DII laser aligned with Omegalite Head and 180mm black Rodagon. Arista [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] RC 8x10 paper developed in Multigrade. Canvas background 8x8 feet "Classic Kelly Brown" painted recently for me by artist David Maheu

18x24 Mammo Shortie Sawed Off Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a test shot (my Shorty Norma) French Kodak 18x24cm Mammo Film, processed in D23 1:1. Taking camera is my new Annie/Avedon inspired 8x10 Norma. I applied 30 degrees of front and rear swing, the Norma original recessed lensboard is sharp all the way across the field. I like how the DOF drops off with the 360mm f5.6 Norma Symmar. There appears to be highlight blooming, which I find kind of attractive. Best thing about this film was that it was not at all expensive. And I have a lot of it

My "Shorty Sawed-Off Norma" has a basic rail cut down, to just accomodate a 120mm lens. Here it is shown with the 47mm f8 Super Angulon, which I am looking forward to using a lot with 2x3 and 6x9. This is not a telephoto camera, but I can easily lift and carry it with one hand without strain. The lowly Star-D tripod is sturdy enough with this setup, given proper time to settle down. I cut both ends off a basic Norma rail with my Lil Machine Shop Bandsaw. So it is now simply a hollow tube perfect length for Field and Architecture.

Last edited:
Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes. Three individual black and white frames shot through Tiffen 25 Red, 58 Green, and 47 Blue filters, respectively, then combined using GIMP to create a trichrome color image.

2022.01.01 Roll #298-06946-positive-trichrome.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

img%5D

Back