Voigtlander 25/4 Snapshot Skopar Images

'Fairytale story'

Leica MDa & Voigtlander Snapshot-Skopar 25mm f/4
Outdated Fuji Superia 200

1150566_660204064009497_1618782058_o.jpg

I love this lens on my M9, here are some shots:

I love this lens on my M9, here are some shots:

Every time I use my 25/4 snapshot (scale focussing), I am very impressed. Here are some shots:

Avila Adobe - Nuestra Senora de los Angeles - Piano Room by Palenquero, on Flickr

Avila Adobe - Nuestra Senora de los Angeles - Living Room by Palenquero, on Flickr

Avila Adobe - Nuestra Senora de los Angeles - Office by Palenquero, on Flickr

Avila Adobe - Nuestra Senora de los Angeles - Dining Room by Palenquero, on Flickr

Contax II pre-war rangefinder fit Skopar 25mm f4.0.

It's a gorgeously pancake sized lens yet particularly pleasing to see the rangefinder coupling exists for the Contax/Nikon rangefinder classic mount. Perhaps the ergonomics of the lens focussing needs some attention: the bayonet lock blocks the focussing ring at 9 o'clock and at times it's hard fumbling for the aperture control, which turns anti-clockwise to the usual focussing convention.

The slow aperture is challenging to work with. There are no infrared focussing marks for extreme infrared photography. The depth of field scale extends so far around the lens that it's impossible to figure without turning the camera upside down. Compared to the Carl Zeiss Distagon 25mm f2.8 [SLR mount], it seems dwarfed in performance and presence.

Yet despite these limitations, what a wonderful pancake lens this is. It's tonal rendition is particularly crisp. It's reading of tone poems is perhaps more extroverted than the classic Sonnar 5cm f1.5 at all apertures down to f11, yet it has the character of a rambunctious little brother; rectilinear yet faithfully loyal to the photographer's vision, analytical without becoming sterile. It flares less readily than longer standard v1-v2 Summicrons, which makes it seem a little unusual for a lenshood to be offered as the standard package with the lens, adding a third to its protrusion from the chassis of the rangefinder.

I'm really thankful for Voigtlander's passion in renewing life for these vintage Contax rangefinders by generating this small batch of wide-angle Skopar lenses. I guess this is the last time we will see them in production in this less common mount as the next generation lose track of what it is like to shoot a 35mm rangefinder from Robert Capa's era.

Kind regards,
RJ

26780912007_0490c2a37b_c.jpg

Here's one taken with the (since sold) Bessa-L. The Skopar is a perfect match for the Leica II, paired with the external viewfinder. Good contrast, sharp, and the click stop focus tab is so intuative. It's one of my favorite lenses.

26794386327_59934939a1_z_d.jpg

edit: linked to a smaller image.

Back