Vitrona -- basic electricity question

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
5:14 PM
I've had a Voigtlander Vitrona for years, but only in the last couple of weeks have I tested it using the special flash grip. This camera was supposedly the first camera with a built-in electronic flash, and the grip holds two C cell batteries to power the flash -- it bayonets into the camera base.

Nice camera, with typical Voigtlander quality. It all works! But -- it seems the batteries are only good for just a few shots, and then they die. The flash unit powers up quickly when the batteries are fresh, and recycles quickly as well. It's clear that the batteries would drain quickly if the battery grip is left attached -- no way to turn it off that I can see. But it seems the batteries continue to drain when the grip is removed, because they are dead when I reattach the grip.

How is this possible, is my question -- if the grip is not attached to the camera, how can an electrical circuit be completed? The instruction book even says that the power is interrupted when the grip is removed. If there's a short circuit somewhere, how can that be, since the unit is disconnected from the camera? I don't see any place where there could be a short circuit within the grip -- it's intact and there are no wires or other conductive material exposed that I can see. I haven't yet tried taking the batteries out of the grip; maybe that will help?

How is this possible, is my question -- if the grip is not attached to the camera, how can an electrical circuit be completed?
Per this article, part of the flash circuitry is contained within that grip:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Voigtländer_Vitrona
I'd guess that there are some electrolytic capacitors in there that need replacing. But before tearing too deeply into it, make sure you can get replacements which fit the existing space! I sometimes encounter oddly-shaped parts which can be tricky to source.

Looks like the problem was an obvious one, which apparently I hadn't addressed adequately before: The battery contacts, especially the negative contact down at the base of the compartment, needed further cleaning. No internal short apparently -- I left batteries in the grip after removing it from the camera; reattached it; and it powered right up. But there's still no way I can see to turn the flash unit off, notwithstanding what the manual says, so I won't leave the grip attached to the camera when not in use.

Back