using a flash with my rollei 35 SE

luuca

Well-known
Local time
11:29 AM
hi, I'd like to wipe out some dust to my rollei 35 SE and I wonder what kind of flash I can mount on for a project I have in mind.

I own a leica FL20, I tried and it doesn't work, manual mode or auto, it doesn't fire.

is it a hot shoe problem or simply do I need some other type of flash? I'm really ignorant about flashes...

I've looked at the page from the Rollei 35SE instruction manual about using a flash -- essentially, the only requirement is that the flash have a center contact to match up to the center contact in the flash shoe on the camera. To complete the circuit there would also be a second contact, usually in one of the side slots on the flash that mates with the side rails on the camera's flash shoe.

You say you have a Leica FL-20 flash; I can't find a Leica FL-20 flash online, but I do find an Olympus FL-20 flash. I also see a Leica SF-20 flash. Both of these flash units have multiple contacts on the bottom part that mates to the camera flash shoe (to allow the flash and camera to exchange data), but I can't get a good enough view to see exactly where they are located and whether or not there's that second contact in the side slots.

In a sense, it maybe that the flash you're trying to use is not designed to work with the minimalist flash shoes of yesteryear. Otherwise, it seems to me that you need to do a simple swap-in/swap-out test: if the flash you presently own doesn't fire, then borrow a different flash that works (perhaps preferably a somewhat older model) from someone you know and see if that flash will fire. If so, then you know the issue is with your flash not mating properly with your Rollei. If it doesn't fire, then perhaps the camera has an issue. What you want is something like this basic Vivitar flash on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/129734...3-22&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

I suggest something like this one because it has the sensor on the front that lets the flash adjust its output by sensing how far you are from your subject.

I’m not familiar with that Leica flash but I’ve had success with a Nikon sb-900 directly with the camera hot shoe as well as a hotshoe to pc cord adapter for corded flash off camera with of all things, a smaller rollei bc something flash

the majority of flashes running in manual or automatic thyristor (non ttl) type mode should probably work just fine on the rollei 35s but I can’t speak to that specific leica flash

probably anything with a pc cord is a safe bet if the hot shoe doesn’t trigger it , additionally I can say from experience that it’s lots of fun using the rollei in one hand with a corded manual flash in the other

maybe try a Nikon sb-20 if you want something on the smaller side

thanks for the tips!
I bought a very nice small flash and it works!

this one:
Godox Lux Junior - Flash per fotocamera retrò https://amzn.eu/d/f4sb3I9

now I only have to understand why the fl20 doesn't work (on my leicas it does...) and it has the central pin!

I think Rollei recommends that you hold the camera upside down (so, flash is on top) when using flash. Otherwise the shadows may seem unnatural. A drawback of the Rollei 35s, but not a big deal really.

just for information: now the leica fl20 works too.

I imagine it was just some invisible oxidation un the hotshoe.

putting in and out the flash made it disappear maybe.

shot with the flash down:
oktoscemo (11 di 28).jpg

I think Rollei recommends that you hold the camera upside down (so, flash is on top) when using flash. Otherwise the shadows may seem unnatural. A drawback of the Rollei 35s, but not a big deal really.

I only rarely use flash with any camera, but with the Rollei 35S/T/SE/TE models if I fit a small flash and rotate the camera 90° to make a vertically oriented exposure, such that I release the shutter with my thumb, the flash unit is in just about the right position relative to the lens ... and it's a lot easier than holding the camera upside down. ;)

G

I'm not a flash lover too, but I wanted that kind of candid shot you get using it near to the subject.

I had no troubles using the rollei in the proper position, with the flash hung down at the bottom of the camera.
it doesn't interfere with hands or head when looking in the viewfinder and the godox is so small and short to remain not so far from the lens, no big differences from using it upsidedown in terms of shadow projection.

it was very funny, no focus, no camera regulation, just point'n'shot.

flash ng14 at full power, f11, prefocused @1 meter, kodak gold 200

oktoscemo (2 di 28).jpg

Back