The tiny, surprising Soligor 45.

Mos6502

Well-known
Local time
11:48 PM
IMG_5224.jpg

Well, I had written quite a lot about these things, but the forum deleted the whole f'n deal when I added images.

So here's the basics. In 1956 if you only had $19 to spend on a 35mm camera, the Soligor 45 was it. It's about 2/3rds the size of a Leica IIIf, and looks like a Canon IV shrunk in the wash. Film loads through the bottom plate. Shutter speeds are 1/25-B-1/50-1/100, in that order. Why? Who knows, what did you expect for $19? Lens is a 4.5/40 triplet, may or may not be coated, hard to tell. The controls pick out f/11 and 10 feet in red paint. These settings make the camera a glorified point-n-shoot, but it's worth noting these put focus nowhere near the hyperfocal distance, even for a 40mm lens. The lens stops down to f/22, and jumps from there to f/11. Why isn't f/16 included? Guess you should have spent $20. Considering these cost barely more than half as much as an Argus C3 the performance is decent. It's a fun little cam to snap away on, although it keeps your hands busy. Shutter and film advance aren't interlocked. You have to push a button to advance each frame, and you have to remember to cock the shutter each time too! A later update of the camera features an interlock, but you still have to cock the shutter manually. Rewinding the film had me baffled. It took a few minutes to figure out that the advance button had to be pressed in and to the right, and the advance knob had to be pulled out. Why? $19.

Construction on 45 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Jerk on 45 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 0
Soligor lenses are much more optically sound than people think. I had an 35f/2.8 for M42 and was great. Never knew they produced cameras thought.

I think this camera was branded the Halina 35 in the UK, I think often sold here in 'Boots the Chemists'.

$19.00 in 1956 converts to about $204.00 in 2022. The Yashica MF-2 Super DX is the only 35mm camera in production that is somewhat equivalent,and sells for $120.00. Is this progress? I dunno, just sayin'...

I think this camera was branded the Halina 35 in the UK, I think often sold here in 'Boots the Chemists'.

The Halina was a clone made in Hong Kong, Soligor's camera was a rebranded Nescon 35 made in Japan.

Soligor lenses are much more optically sound than people think. I had an 35f/2.8 for M42 and was great. Never knew they produced cameras thought.

Soligor partnered with a number of different companies. Most notably Miranda, which they got a controlling stake in and eventually ran into the ground.

I had a Voigtlaender Vito II, my meme, and it was sort of in this category. The Balda was also there. This was in the mid-50's when Tri-X was brand new and dinosaurs had just disappeared. The simple old 35's could make great images with proper care. I am still sticking with the current super digitals though.

Back