The Leica Freedom Train

It's baffling how the same society could produce Schindler and Leitz as well as Hitler and his band of goons.

They wanted to make Germany great again. We have seen these people before in history.
The modern parallel you allude to is incorrect.

There is fundamentally nothing wrong with Germans wanting post-WWI Germany to be "great again": they suffered severe and disproportionate punishment by the treaty of Versailles. They could've been allowed to recover and prosper, to be a peaceful country, but Hitler and his Nazis took that desire and with his hatred transformed it into the horror that followed.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with wanting the US to be economically strong so that its citizens prosper and are not dependent on energy and critical products from its enemies. There is nothing wrong with wanting the US military to be strong so that weakness does not encourage bold aggression and military adventures from its enemies. There is nothing wrong with the US wanting its borders to be at least as secure as those of other countries instead of wide open to anyone. Fortunately, we do not and did not have anything like a Hitler or Nazi party in control of the US government.

The modern parallel you allude to is incorrect.

There is fundamentally nothing wrong with Germans wanting post-WWI Germany to be "great again": they suffered severe and disproportionate punishment by the treaty of Versailles. They could've been allowed to recover and prosper, to be a peaceful country, but Hitler and his Nazis took that desire and with his hatred transformed it into the horror that followed.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with wanting the US to be economically strong so that its citizens prosper and are not dependent on energy and critical products from its enemies. There is nothing wrong with wanting the US military to be strong so that weakness does not encourage bold aggression and military adventures from its enemies. There is nothing wrong with the US wanting its borders to be at least as secure as those of other countries instead of wide open to anyone. Fortunately, we do not and did not have anything like a Hitler or Nazi party in control of the US government.
So far...

Amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a person quit a forum with so little cause. Hopefully, he's not one of those people who go around calling people 'snowflakes.'

We are best off when we can accept and acknowledge different viewpoints within our communities, whether actual or virtual. We all share a common love of photography, and can focus on sharing that without abandoning our differences. Myself, I lean pretty far left, and have gone head-to-head with other members when politics has found its way into discussions, as it always will. But my disagreements have never led me to consider quitting, and I value all members' contributions without feeling we have to agree on matters beyond photography.
I value Pal K's intelligence, knowledge and wit. Perhaps we don't agree on political issues, but I hope he reconsiders his choice to leave.

Back