ShPhotosots taken with the Nikonos camera series

Modeling in/under the icy cold waters of Lake Huron. Tri-X, pushed to 1600.

britt19.jpg

Jim B.

Fujiya in Nakano might have some but I bought mine from Yahoo Auctions. Prices vary between JPY 13000 and 30000, depending on condition. Yodobashi still sells the Nikonos o-ring/lube set very cheap.

Gabor, what do these go for in Japan, and can you recommend a particular shop in Tokyo, when looking for a Nikonos?

Fujiya in Nakano might have some but I bought mine from Yahoo Auctions. Prices vary between JPY 13000 and 30000, depending on condition. Yodobashi still sells the Nikonos o-ring/lube set very cheap.

I see now that several Japanese dealers offer what seem to fine examples on that other great auction site. Maybe worth looking into. I don´t think I´ve been through the Nakano neighbourhood, and I´ve only heard about Fujiya so far, but looking it up now, I see that it´s a shop that is worth visiting.

Thank you for your answer and the tip about the gasket kit.

I have had several Nikonos II cameras and they were a bargain at the time. One I bought for $75 complete.

I used to scuba dive so I did love my Nikonos.

Do you know, it has the same 35mm f2.5 lens that is in the Nikon rangefinders?? Quite a steal of a deal considering what these go for.

I love my Nikonos-V and though I have used it quite successfully for half in half out photography in the water my main like with this camera is that it opens up the whole vista of poor weather and messy terrain photography on land. In England it rains sometimes! I think the 35/2.5 lens is great and I like the focus and aperture setting method; it doesn't take long and it makes me think about what distances I want to shoot at if I use it on the street. The camera looks so quaint that nobody seems to mind my taking pictures; it's about as quiet as a Leica too. Once I work out how to use this forum properly e.g. how to post pictures I'll put some up. I have to admit to having two of these bodies and lenses actually, both in discreet green. What a great idea to have a thread specially for these cameras.

I purchased my Nikonos II in 1970. I still have it but like the OP found the scale focus trying. Over the years I've tried underwater but I guess I'm just not a good swimmer. Here are a few from the II with the f2.5 35mm lens:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

Kodak Gold 100 by John Carter, on Flickr

RanchoLeonero by John Carter, on Flickr

1973 by John Carter, on Flickr

Nikonos by John Carter, on Flickr

AND

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/8685/med_U8685I1185453281.SEQ.0.jpg

Many new great photos here! Thanks everybody for contributing!

I left for a business trip last Wednesday so missed the opportunity to take some photos during typhoon no21 that just passed through Japan. Nikonos is a perfect camera for that weather.

Agree with Gabor - great pictures in this thread (including his as well). You all convinced me now, and I have ordered a kit from a Japanese dealer. Of course, I will get to pay import taxes that way, but the Japanese dealers have the best kept equipment, and I would like to get to know the parts before actually using the kit in June/July next year.....in Japan.

These are all wonderful. That colour in the Ektar 100 is something else. Very saturated. If anyone likes grain, and I do, this is the thread for sure.

Now that I have moved next to the boardwalk at Rockaway Beach
my Nikonos V will likely be my most often used "street shooter".

Chris

original.jpg

I took this image when I was diving in Curacao. I used my Nikonos V and Fuji Velvia film. It was the original Velvia 50 film before they changed the formulation. Velvia was the film of choice back in the day for underwater photographers as it gave such wonderful saturated colors for the tropical fish and other marine life.

In the winter i traded my last digital camera for a Nikonos V. I had the seals replaced, although i didn´t plan to really use it underwater. But now that i can do it, of course had to try :) From my first roll with underwater photos. I really like the camera for rainy days / beach, but the AE seems to underexpose some.

28223367687_0eaed33e66_b.jpg

Nikonos V w/ Fuji C200

I bought a spare beater 35 2.5 lens as I wanted to remove the thick flat glass protective element from the front of the lens. It was to be a dry land use only lens, and I was curious as to how well it would do w/ flare and/or in back lit conditions without that flat uncoated piece of glass there.

Works great. In this back lit shot, no flare, lots of detail in the shadows. This is an excellent lens.

Many more nice shots, thanks for posting!!

Myself, I have moved from Tokyo to Nagoya since starting this thread but hope to visit 新島 (Niijima) island this year again and will bring my Nikonos V and some rolls of Fujifilm Natura1600.

Back