Show Your Scale Focus Beauties!

I posted this in the TLR forum also. Its a Schneider-Kreuznach reunion!

lZn0dx.jpg

Its a nice little camera. Very high quality construction. People say the controls are fiddly, but really, they're not much different than any manual camera, just somewhat of a different location than on most cameras. The aperture dial has clickstops in 1/3 EV intervals, which is nice. Keeps the dial from getting bumped out of position.

The viewfinder is very nice. Focusing isn't too bad... Fortunately for me I don't shoot much very close up so for me its usually an educated guess whether to set it closer to infinity or to 20 or whatever the next measurement on the barrel is. Closer than 20 feet I have to use a little more thinking process and/or pace off the distance if I am not sure.

I really need to finish the roll that's in it! I've been on the same roll of Fuji Acros since summertime I think.

Be careful, the Rollei 35 is addictive

Be careful, the Rollei 35 is addictive

I first saw one in 1968 or so - an astronomer/photographer praised the Tessar on the Rollei 35 as "sharp as a tack". wanted one ever since. Now I have four, including two that came with the "official" Rollei 35 flash attachment. Amazing lens. Totally shake-free shutter. The controls are actually very nice - speed & aperture close, physically & visually, to the focus-scale. Set the exposure, then "focus" & compose, then "pink". The shutter is the quietest thing, ever. Pack it with my large format gear for backup & recording what colors things were. May well be the last camera I ever sell.--alfredian

Among the family

Among the family

My Rollei 35S hanging out with some of my other cameras. I have to say that my Rollei 35 cameras are likely my favorite. I have 6 of them and am always stunned at the quality of the shots that come out of them. I have gotten to the point where I can scale focus with as much accuracy as I can with a rangefinder. As long as I am at f5.6 or higher, I always get a nice shot.

28333901078_c552362319_b_d.jpg

welta%20welti%202%20sm.jpg

I've sorted out the film "stop and go" mech controlled by the frame counter and winding knob, so it is ready for a film test. I think it is a rough-edged jewel.

From the RFF Classifieds, I picked up this Voigtlander Vito. Original, pre-WWII version. An odd little camera; it has no provision for the sprocket holes in the film and it uses a textured feeler shaft to engage the frame counter, etc. It reliably spaces the frames but with very little space (as in, almost none!) between exposures. I bet I could squeeze more than 40 frames on a roll, without even trying.

TEkDnV.jpg

From the RFF Classifieds, I picked up this Voigtlander Vito. Original, pre-WWII version. An odd little camera; it has no provision for the sprocket holes in the film and it uses a textured feeler shaft to engage the frame counter, etc.

According to what I've read (have a post-war version myself), it seems that the pre-war camera used some other sort of film than the 135 perforated, perhaps 828.

Why it would use 828 is really beyond me, since as far as I know, the back of a pre-war camera must be as light-tight as a post-war one, and thus would be able to use (as you've shown) normal 135 film.

From the RFF Classifieds, I picked up this Voigtlander Vito. Original, pre-WWII version. An odd little camera; it has no provision for the sprocket holes in the film and it uses a textured feeler shaft to engage the frame counter, etc. It reliably spaces the frames but with very little space (as in, almost none!) between exposures. I bet I could squeeze more than 40 frames on a roll, without even trying.
According to what I've read (have a post-war version myself), it seems that the pre-war camera used some other sort of film than the 135 perforated, perhaps 828.

It's a little complicated in deed, «the Vito also accepts 135 cassettes», see:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vito

Aha ... then I understand why the spacing is a bit narrow between the frames.

Very nice cameras, anyways. :)

1537253_66511de2c78a23cc4499f02f45d3d579.jpg

An Argus K that I picked up last August.
Wasted a roll because someone had flipped the front element.
Still had a small light leak after fixing the play in the lens/shutter tube.
Should be fine now.

Sumarongi said:
It's a little complicated in deed, «the Vito also accepts 135 cassettes», see:

My suspicion is that the very first Vito was designed to use 828 film but at some point - possibly while still in the planning phase - they altered the design to use 135 film instead. 828 would need a different back door (with red window) with possibly a different pressure plate, but otherwise I don't think there would be many other differences. Maybe the keyway to engage the film spool might be different.... I think I have an old 828 spool at home; I should see if it fits!

Back