Rollei 35 - one year

What you get with one camera and one lens is truly amazing.

Thirteen years of this, nonstop. You are an absolute legend in our photographic age.

If - as someone posted here many years ago - you live on the moon, then I want to be there too, with my Nikkormat FT2 and my ancient 35/2.0.

Keep it going, mate. True inspiration such as I've seen here, is like finding a diamond ring on a beach in these dismal times.

What you get with one camera and one lens is truly amazing.

Thirteen years of this, nonstop. You are an absolute legend in our photographic age.

If - as someone posted here many years ago - you live on the moon, then I want to be there too, with my Nikkormat FT2 and my ancient 35/2.0.

Keep it going, mate. True inspiration such as I've seen here, is like finding a diamond ring on a beach in these dismal times.
Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words!
I often ask myself when the urge to update your gear permanently was implanted in the heads of photographers (Leica conversion program?), but it definitely got worse over the years imo.
Interestingly , iirc, I never got a second reaction by the original "you live on the moon" poster in all these years.
After all I cheated, exposing the Polypan mostly at 100ASA or, more precisely exposing as I like and trust in the films latitude, what admittedly did´t work all the time;-)
The FT2 surely is a similar sexy beast, but as I get older I more and more prefer small cameras. Some weeks ago a workmate gifted his Minox 35MB to me, that gets some practice these days!

I too am in awe at your long-term productivity with the Rollei, Zeno. I know that I was happiest and most produtive (photographically speaking) when my gear was limited too, so I completely understand that aspect. What I have trouble connecting with is your commitment to the Rollei 35. I have one and have used it, but I've been unable to get past the awkward controls. The lens is a different story: both the Tessar and Sonnar versions render wonderfully, but I need something more conventional in the handling department. So, you have my utmost admiration for you and your long-term "love affair" with the Rollei.

EDIT: I'd buy a volume II too! So hurry up and finish roll #1000 already!

Last edited:
I too am in awe at your long-term productivity with the Rollei, Zeno. I know that I was happiest and most produtive (photographically speaking) when my gear was limited too, so I completely understand that aspect. What I have trouble connecting with is your commitment to the Rollei 35. I have one and have used it, but I've been unable to get past the awkward controls. The lens is a different story: both the Tessar and Sonnar versions render wonderfully, but I need something more conventional in the handling department. So, you have my utmost admiration for you and your long-term "love affair" with the Rollei.

EDIT: I'd buy a volume II too! So hurry up and finish roll #1000 already!
Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement to make another book!
To be honest, I will never understand how the controls of a Rollei 35 are awkward, or odd, or strange, you name it. Maybe my brain is oddly wired too or maybe you have to be german (read: awkward) to like the controls of a Rollei 35 ;-)
I always admired the decision of Heinz Waaske to go his way in the design of all his cameras. (The man designed a 4,5x6 camera for Minox! It´s a shame that this jewel was never built!)
My advice for all of you who don´t like the controls of the Rollei 35: Pack it safely and send it to me;-)

From Roll 014, back in 2010
1700801365947.png

I made a slideshow of some early Rollei 35 pictures. There will be more!
The Rollei 35 project on Youtube

Last edited:
Back